Alternate covers collection

shedshrine

Alternate covers:

A Post for side by side alternate covers you have managed to amass..
(there was another thread that tried this back in 2012, but with the end of Photobucket's gratis 3rd party hosting it was pretty ravaged.)

golden%20earring%20moontan.JPG

Devo%20duty%20now%20for%20the%20future.JPG

elvis%20costello%20this%20years%20model.JPG

rolling%20stones%20some%20girls.JPG

Michael%20Schenker%20Group.JPG

Hendrix%20electric%20ladyland.JPG

gentle%20giant%20octopus.JPG

gentle%20giant%203%20friends.JPG

montrose.JPG

hendrix%20axis%20bold%20albums.JPG

jimi%20hendirix%20vtnm%20kid%20smoker.JPG

Left uses back of original album (on right) for a reissue combining it with the tracks off their 2nd and final album, an ep "Baby".
suburban%20lawns%20albums.JPG

zappa%20hot%20rats%20zappa.JPG

Last edited:
Cool. I wish I had that Electric Ladyland cover. You know the one.

I have both Costello covers. And I have four different Some Girls original issue covers, different color combinations.

Alternate covers:

A Post for side by side alternate covers you have managed to amass..
(there was another thread that tried this back in 2012, but with the end of Photobucket's gratis 3rd party hosting it was pretty ravaged.)

golden%20earring%20moontan.JPG

Devo%20duty%20now%20for%20the%20future.JPG

elvis%20costello%20this%20years%20model.JPG

rolling%20stones%20some%20girls.JPG

Michael%20Schenker%20Group.JPG

Hendrix%20electric%20ladyland.JPG

gentle%20giant%20octopus.JPG

gentle%20giant%203%20friends.JPG

montrose.JPG

hendrix%20axis%20bold%20albums.JPG

jimi%20hendirix%20vtnm%20kid%20smoker.JPG

Left uses back of original album (on right) for a reissue combining it with the tracks off their 2nd and final album, an ep "Baby".
suburban%20lawns%20albums.JPG

zappa%20hot%20rats%20zappa.JPG

Cool. I wish I had that Electric Ladyland cover. You know the one..

Jimi wrote his management a letter come time for the albums release as he had a specific plan for its layout.
Neither the US or UK management listened. He really didn't care for that UK cover:

"Folks in Britain are kicking against the cover. Man, I don't blame them. I wouldn't have put this picture on the sleeve myself but it wasn't my decision. It's mostly all bullshit."

Jimi%20Hendrix%20biting%20elec%20ldyland.png

This Linda McCartney taken photo was what Jimi had actually wanted for the album cover.

Hendrix%20designed%20elec%20ldyland%20cover.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I knew he disliked the nude cover but I did not know about the Linda McCartney cover. That would have been a cool choice, although... on first glance, the kids in the photo bothered me a little. My first impression was that if feels just ever so slightly pedophilic, and I'm sure that is unintentional, but it did make me wonder. Is that weird of me?

Jimi wrote his management a letter come time for the albums release as he had a specific plan for its layout.
Neither the US or UK management listened. He really didn't care for that UK cover:

"Folks in Britain are kicking against the cover. Man, I don't blame them. I wouldn't have put this picture on the sleeve myself but it wasn't my decision. It's mostly all bullshit."

Jimi%20Hendrix%20biting%20elec%20ldyland.png

This Linda McCartney taken photo was what Jimi had actually wanted for the album cover.

Hendrix%20designed%20elec%20ldyland%20cover.png

You must be thinking of the Blind Faith cover. :)
Seriously though, I don't see anything sinister at play here. I haven't read anything about the day of the shoot specifically, but to my eye, it looks spontaneous, like "We're kind of intruding in your play area kid, so c'mere, you can be in this too".
The other two guys (Noel and Mitch) are looking at them as if to say "Oh, isn't that cute". I mean there were probably kids playing on the structure when they got there, and Jimi just included them in the shot on the spot. Could even have been at Linda McCartney's behest. But of course I have no idea .

Last edited:
Bladerunner
One of my favorite movies early on was 1982's Bladerunner. Computer graphics were in their infancy, so sci fi meant painted mural backdrops and various scaled physical props.
The largely Vangelis scored electronic soundtrack music created a fantastic atmosphere, but if you had purchased the available soundtrack at the time you would have been sorely disappointed.
Bladerunner%20albums.JPG

Billed as an "orchestral adaptation of music composed for the motion picture by Vangelis," the first official release consisted of jazz-inspired, orchestrated renditions of the major tracks from the film,
but not the original score tracks. Which completely sucked when you were wanting the Vangelis electronic score.

Fastforward to 2013 for the real thing on vinyl:

"Most of the music contained in this album originates from recordings I made in London in 1982, whilst working on the score for the film Blade Runner. Finding myself unable to release these recordings at the time,
it is with great pleasure that I am able to do so now. Some of the pieces contained will be known to you from the Original Soundtrack of the film (cd and vinyl), whilst others are appearing here for the first time (cd version).
Looking back at Ridley Scott's powerful and evocative pictures left me as stimulated as before, and made the recompiling of this music, today, an enjoyable experience." -Vangelis

I sold off most of my personal record collection when I had three kids iin college at once. I had some alternative covers but they are long gone, so the photos here are off the internet.

img_39561.jpg

I found a copy of the banned Poison cover sealed at the flea market for 2 bucks.

poison33.jpg

Technically an alternate cover. Lucked out and had this Rutherford Chang 100x overdubbed experimental white album on my radar when it first came out. Don't play it a lot, but glad to have it.
In case you've never heard it, here's a link to hear side one http://rutherfordchang.com/white.html (bottom of page)
IMG_2368(3).jpg

Last edited:
Still more alternate covers, or in this case for different editions..

Black version first pressing 1982, red reissue 1985
IMG_2387.jpg

I don't own the censored version so I improvised here..
IMG_2380.jpg
IMG_2380.jpg

A&M put out a few 2x10" special editions of their big sellers in 1979.
Disappointingly they were not 45 rpm, just 33 rmp in 10" form spread over two discs.
But the Police Regatta de Blanc edition came with a poster, and the Joe Jackson Look sharp edition was a gatefold sleeve with a wearable "Look Sharp" pin displayed in a circular cutout on the cover.

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

Back
Top Bottom