Am I the only one avoiding going to the movies because..

Last movie at the theater for me was Harry Potter & The goblet of Fire. I REALLY want to see Infinity Wars, but not with the no manners crowd today. I'll wait til it comes out on DVD. New movies do not control my life.

Last movie at the theater for me was Harry Potter & The goblet of Fire. I REALLY want to see Infinity Wars, but not with the no manners crowd today. I'll wait til it comes out on DVD. New movies do not control my life.

At least in Boston if you go now there will be ~5 others in the theater, maybe.

The price seems too high to sit among all the loud-talking, often profane idiots who drown out the dialogue and dare you to say anything about it. The last time I went was about 1990 and I very politely asked the loud-mouthed young lady - yakking both with a friend present and another on the phone with f-bombs aplenty - if she'd turn it down a notch so we could hear the movie. She rose and left for the lobby, only to return with the manager in tow, having told him I was annoying her. And still on the phone, loudly reporting the play-by-play of this to her phone buddy.

"What is the problem, sir?"

"You can see for yourself that we can't hear the movie due to the lady's voice."

"Sir, there is no law against talking in a theater. Free country, free speech. We have no way of enforcing such a rule. We do not, however, allow one customer to harass another."

"One polite request is harassment?"

"She feels harassed. Perhaps the best course is that you leave."

I was livid, but I realized that reason had flown this coop, so I, and the wife and kids (G-rated movie) left. I had to insist rather strongly on a refund; we were only about fifteen minutes into the movie, and I'd actually heard almost none of it. In addition, the picture was very poorly focused. I have had no desire at all to return to a movie theater since that evening. No, thanks.

The price seems too high to sit among all the loud-talking, often profane idiots who drown out the dialogue and dare you to say anything about it. The last time I went was about 1990 and I very politely asked the loud-mouthed young lady - yakking both with a friend present and another on the phone with f-bombs aplenty - if she'd turn it down a notch so we could hear the movie. She rose and left for the lobby, only to return with the manager in tow, having told him I was annoying her. And still on the phone, loudly reporting the play-by-play of this to her phone buddy.

"You can see for yourself that we can't hear the movie due to the lady's voice."

"Sir, there is no law against talking in a theater. Free country, free speech. We have no way of enforcing such a rule. We do not, however, allow one customer to harass another."

I was livid, but I realized that reason had flown this coop, so I, and the wife and kids (G-rated movie) left. I had to insist rather strongly on a refund; we were only about fifteen minutes into the movie, and I'd actually heard almost none of it. In addition, the picture was very poorly focused. I have had no desire at all to return to a movie theater since that evening. No, thanks.

Bad experience. Don't recall that happening to me … BUT … since 1990 or maybe some time prior … if I go to movie theatres (not that often once or twice a year anymore) at all .. I go to the early bird matinee's. My last movie (Saturday 10AM) was attended by 10 people if memory serves me well. Only people noise was munching popcorn. Not too many people attend early matinees in my area.

As I mentioned before .. use to work at movie theatres in my youth … my brother still does as a manager. Just recently he took a punch in the jaw … trying to separate two fighting women! The one didn't like her husband taking his girlfriend to the movies. The police said he (my brother) could press charges but he took a pass … customer service and all that.

That sucks big time musichal, and absolutely confirms the major reason that prefer to buy BR/DVD`s and watch them in my controlled environment.
I suppose the fact that, that was disrupting patron`s expectation to enjoy, and who had paid to watch a movie was not in fact a violation of their right of the pursuant of happiness without the unreasonable bothersome noise/interference.

I see that your story only confirms what I`ve been told by my friends experiences at the theater..
So I`ll maintain my stay at home movie watching..

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience.

I used to carry a squirt gun in a plastic bag, filled with sugar water. IF...during the movie, someone was being annoying, they just might get squirted. It would be REAL sticky by the time the movie was over. Ain't I a stinker?

I used to carry a squirt gun in a plastic bag, filled with sugar water. IF...during the movie, someone was being annoying, they just might get squirted. It would be REAL sticky by the time the movie was over. Ain't I a stinker?

What a great idea FONSguy..

It's been so many years since I've been to a movie house reading here was like a reminder of all the reasons I didn't like to go. I only went to releases of much anticipated movies anyway, like the first Star Trek.. Close Encounters of the Third Kind... Gandhi... and those at special and at the time scarce Cinedome theaters with the wrap around screen and special audio systems. I wouldn't go anyway since the availability of high end audio and high resolution big screen home equipment and media to go with it... I'd much rather watch at home plus the series offerings like Game of Thrones, Vikings, Breaking Bad, House of Cards far surpasses anything 'Hollywood' produces in terms of content and production, in my opinion. The thought of going to a movie never occurs to me.

It's been so many years since I've been to a movie house reading here was like a reminder of all the reasons I didn't like to go. I only went to releases of much anticipated movies anyway, like the first Star Trek.. Close Encounters of the Third Kind... Gandhi... and those at special and at the time scarce Cinedome theaters with the wrap around screen and special audio systems. I wouldn't go anyway since the availability of high end audio and high resolution big screen home equipment and media to go with it... I'd much rather watch at home plus the series offerings like Game of Thrones, Vikings, Breaking Bad, House of Cards far surpasses anything 'Hollywood' produces in terms of content and production, in my opinion. The thought of going to a movie never occurs to me.

:thumbsup:,:beerchug:
Plus, you can set the level as loud, or soft as your mood/the movie dictates, and IMG_0442.jpg IMG_0436.jpg IMG_0439.jpg IMG_0320.JPG pause to make a drink, pee, have a smoke, etc. and resume, as you see fit.
First the BR`s, then the Laser Discs, DVD`s, music concert BR/DVD`s, and finally the 4K capable display system.
As one can see, little incentive for me to go out to a theater and pay to be annoyed by rude and inconsiderate people, and keeps me from being thrown in jail !!

Damn sure, works for me !!

Do as you see fit, folks.

Kind regards, OKB

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2
Plus, you can set the level as loud, or soft as your mood/the movie dictates, and View attachment 1231546 View attachment 1231547 View attachment 1231548 View attachment 1231551 pause to make a drink, pee, have a smoke, etc. and resume, as you see fit.
First the BR`s, then the Laser Discs, DVD`s, music concert BR/DVD`s, and finally the 4K capable display system.
As one can see, little incentive for me to go out to a theater and pay to be annoyed by rude and inconsiderate people, and keeps me from being thrown in jail !!

Kind regards, OKB
You have a very nice theater room, acoustic treatment and all, not to mention media storage... fine all the way. I have a 5.1 system operating in 4.1 mode... Altec 19s front, L220 rear.. a 65" OLED 4K screen and a collection of BR discs, DVDs and, in the system a VHS for the occasional need, a turntable of course... plus a Yamaha mixer and karaoke mixer for those occasional fun evenings. Thank you for the pictures... it's a pleasant experience to just view it, I imagine it sounds wonderfully 'invisible'...

Plus, you can set the level as loud, or soft as your mood/the movie dictates, and View attachment 1231546 View attachment 1231547 View attachment 1231548 View attachment 1231551 pause to make a drink, pee, have a smoke, etc. and resume, as you see fit.

Kind regards, OKB
VERY nice. I can see why you wouldn't bother going to a movie theater.:eek:

I still watch movies on old CRT TVs or on my computer.:oops: Meh, I'm satisfied though, and will eventually upgrade to a modern TV. The old CRT sets just refuse to die, though. That, and from what I've seen, VHS looks like crap on modern flat screens. I might have to keep both types of TVs around.

Between VHS tapes, DVDs, and files on my HDD that I've "acquired" (old, mostly obscure movies that I've slowly been hunting down and eventually buying) I already have more movies than I'll probably ever watch.

I don't need no stinkin' movie theater drama and $$$.

I still watch movies on old CRT TVs or on my computer.:oops: Meh, I'm satisfied though, and will eventually upgrade to a modern TV. The old CRT sets just refuse to die, though. That, and from what I've seen, VHS looks like crap on modern flat screens. I might have to keep both types of TVs around.

Between VHS tapes, DVDs, and files on my HDD that I've "acquired" (old, mostly obscure movies that I've slowly been hunting down and eventually buying) I already have more movies than I'll probably ever watch.

VHS looking like crap on modern flat screens... of course they do not compare to a Blu ray, or even a DVD but a 'good' one isn't all that bad, some of which.. maybe most of which.. I credit to the upscaling software.. I guess it's software... in the most recent equipment. It has come a long way in since a few years ago. On my 65" screen I would have guessed a VHS tape would look fuzzy at sharp scene changes... but it doesn't, supposedly upconverted to 4K, which the TV indicates as source resolution from the AVR supplying it. That, and the hi hi sound track make for an okay experience if VHS is the only ready option with an otherwise obscure movie or offering.

You have a very nice theater room, acoustic treatment and all, not to mention media storage... fine all the way. I have a 5.1 system operating in 4.1 mode... Altec 19s front, L220 rear.. a 65" OLED 4K screen and a collection of BR discs, DVDs and, in the system a VHS for the occasional need, a turntable of course... plus a Yamaha mixer and karaoke mixer for those occasional fun evenings. Thank you for the pictures... it's a pleasant experience to just view it, I imagine it sounds wonderfully 'invisible'...

Thank you for the A/V system compliment spicer.

It was updated(MC 275 VI`s, Sony 4 K projector+ 120" screen, Integra A/V Preamp & a very HQ digital crossover(they like to refer to them now as" loud Speaker Management Systems) about 6 years ago, and the sound portion is Mac tri-amplified powered(4 MC mono`d MC 275 VI`s for the Highs & mids., MC 60 for the center channel, and 2 MC 1201 SS for the bass cabinets and the front speaker`s are also Mac.
Had the Mac 1201`s & the XRT 30`s/ matching XR 27 center speaker since Nov. 2003.

The foam acoustical tiles had to be replaced in 2012 after the original installed one`s in 1995 began to rot.

I`ve been told that the system sounds very good, especially playing BR Pure Audio DVD`s.
I`m not likely to change/upgrade anything for quite some time.

Thanks for your interest Sir.

Take care.

Kind regards, OKB

VHS looking like crap on modern flat screens... of course they do not compare to a Blu ray, or even a DVD but a 'good' one isn't all that bad, some of which.. maybe most of which.. I credit to the upscaling software.. I guess it's software... in the most recent equipment. It has come a long way in since a few years ago. On my 65" screen I would have guessed a VHS tape would look fuzzy at sharp scene changes... but it doesn't, supposedly upconverted to 4K, which the TV indicates as source resolution from the AVR supplying it. That, and the hi hi sound track make for an okay experience if VHS is the only ready option with an otherwise obscure movie or offering.
Maybe they have improved some, I don't know. I recapped the power supply board in my neighbor's circa 2010 ~55" Samsung, and I tried it with my 4 head Hifi VCR which produces an excellent picture on my old TVs. The picture looked like complete ass. Really bad. And I played with the settings and set it for the correct aspect ratio, etc.

Thank you for the A/V system compliment spicer.

It was updated(MC 275 VI`s, Sony 4 K projector+ 120" screen, Integra A/V Preamp & a very HQ digital crossover(they like to refer to them now as" loud Speaker Management Systems) about 6 years ago, and the sound portion is Mac tri-amplified powered(4 MC mono`d MC 275 VI`s for the Highs & mids., MC 60 for the center channel, and 2 MC 1201 SS for the bass cabinets and the front speaker`s are also Mac.
Had the Mac 1201`s & the XRT 30`s/ matching XR 27 center speaker since Nov. 2003.

The foam acoustical tiles had to be replaced in 2012 after the original installed one`s in 1995 began to rot.

I`ve been told that the system sounds very good, especially playing BR Pure Audio DVD`s.
I`m not likely to change/upgrade anything for quite some time.

Thanks for your interest Sir.

Take care.

Kind regards, OKB
Thank you for the details. Wow... carefully chosen class all the way. You're certainly not a novice.... Thinking of BR pure audio and recorded audio sales.. I hold that with proper marketing BR audio and concerts could largely replace the shrinking CD market. I for one would buy well produced BR concerts where attention is paid to audio and video, of which there are a few... would almost... I say almost because unlike a movie, ambience of actually being live does contribute to the experience... would almost take the place of going out to a concert.

Maybe they have improved some, I don't know. I recapped the power supply board in my neighbor's circa 2010 ~55" Samsung, and I tried it with my 4 head Hifi VCR which produces an excellent picture on my old TVs. The picture looked like complete ass. Really bad. And I played with the settings and set it for the correct aspect ratio, etc.
One thing I might add is that the VHS must be a wide screen format, not 4/5 ratio or it will not be good at all, no matter what. That being said... no way would I call what I see as really bad.. quite good actually, considering.

beat_truck, I "suspect" that you may not have seen a decent quality VHS tape played through a "Quality" Composite/S-video to HDMI up-scaler converter ??
It makes a big difference in picture quality IMO/E.
I have to use several around my house, because the projector, and 2 of my 5 room`s flat screens do not have composite/S-Video inputs, so must be up scaled at their location, if I want to watch a laserdisc, or VHS tape.

My house`s setup is rather complicated with 5 separate video, plus 1 L/R analog audio send/s/feeds(HDMI, RGB, S-VGA, S-Video, and Composite available, all fed from my living room`s A/V rack`s selected signal source to each of the 5 rooms selectable via their TV`s input selector.
Here`s a picture of the "Octopus`" head. from 6 years ago during the upgradeIMG_0167.JPG

Last edited:
beat_truck, I "suspect" that you may not have seen a decent quality VHS tape played through a "Quality" Composite/S-video to HDMI up-scaler converter ??
It makes a big difference in picture quality IMO/E.
I have to use several around my house, because the projector, and 2 of my 5 room`s flat screens do not have composite/S-Video inputs, so must be up scaled at their location, if I want to watch a laserdisc, or VHS tape.

My house`s setup is rather complicated with 5 separate video, plus 1 L/R analog audio send/s/feeds(HDMI, RGB, S-VGA, S-Video, and Composite available, all fed from my living room`s A/V rack`s selected signal source to each of the 5 rooms selectable via their TV`s input selector.
Here`s a picture of the "Octopus`" head.View attachment 1231620
Honestly? No I haven't.

I do have one nice S-VHS machine that has an S-video output, but if I need extra equipment to get decent quality through a modern TV, I'll just continue to watch tapes on old TVs like I've always done. It's not really that big of a deal to me.

Last edited:
One thing I might add is that the VHS must be a wide screen format, not 4/5 ratio or it will not be good at all, no matter what. That being said... no way would I call what I see as really bad.. quite good actually, considering.

The original NTSC aspect ratio is/was actually 4:3..
Just saying..
And sometimes with varying picture quality results can be adjusted at the TV, or up-converter, if used, or a combination of the two.
It helps to have a good quality tape/machine too.
I started this HT rabbit hole here back in 1992 when S-Video/Composite was about as good as it got for consumers.
My original three gun BARCO projector had a RGB input, but I had no RGB video source/s, though.

Back
Top Bottom