Am I the only one avoiding going to the movies because..

Honestly? No I haven't.

I do have one nice S-VHS machine that has an S-video output, but if I need extra equipment to get decent quality through a modern TV, I'll just continue to watch tapes on old TVs like I've always done. It's not really that big of a deal to me.

Well then, there you have it, for now...

Enjoy.

Thank you for the details. Wow... carefully chosen class all the way. You're certainly not a novice.... Thinking of BR pure audio and recorded audio sales.. I hold that with proper marketing BR audio and concerts could largely replace the shrinking CD market. I for one would buy well produced BR concerts where attention is paid to audio and video, of which there are a few... would almost... I say almost because unlike a movie, ambience of actually being live does contribute to the experience... would almost take the place of going out to a concert.

Thanks

Boy, y'all must miss the good ol' days of vaudeville, eh?

View attachment 1231552

I was always more of a camera obscura man myself. Loved the way the blood rushed to my head...

020camera20obscura20niemelc3a420-20valokuva.jpeg

The original NTSC aspect ratio is/was actually 4:3..
Just saying..
And sometimes with varying picture quality results can be adjusted at the TV, or up-converter, if used, or a combination of the two.
It helps to have a good quality tape/machine too.
I started this HT rabbit hole here back in 1992 when S-Video/Composite was about as good as it got for consumers.
My original three gun BARCO projector had a RGB input, but I had no RGB video source/s, though.
Oh yes... 4:3.. how quickly we (I) forget. Yes to the adjustments but it quickly becomes clumsy trying to go over it with text... often requires a bit of 'experimenting' too. If one doesn't keep up it is easy to become lost in new terms describing parameters that at one time could not be addressed without high end professional equipment... and it doesn't become easier with age... hence the careful read, a little research, then a bit of experimenting. Until recently, with the stuff I had, composite to S-video to RGB... I couldn't really see any difference, just more cables to hook up. The BARCO stuff was rather high end and I imagine would have shown a difference given a source. 1992 seems not unlike yesterday but is a whole different world from now in terms of video and video equipment... the older I get the more calendar dates seem that way but changes in technology has a snowball effect.

Oh yes... 4:3.. how quickly we (I) forget. Yes to the adjustments but it quickly becomes clumsy trying to go over it with text... often requires a bit of 'experimenting' too. If one doesn't keep up it is easy to become lost in new terms describing parameters that at one time could not be addressed without high end professional equipment... and it doesn't become easier with age... hence the careful read, a little research, then a bit of experimenting. Until recently, with the stuff I had, composite to S-video to RGB... I couldn't really see any difference, just more cables to hook up. The BARCO stuff was rather high end and I imagine would have shown a difference given a source. 1992 seems not unlike yesterday but is a whole different world from now in terms of video and video equipment... the older I get the more calendar dates seem that way but changes in technology has a snowball effect.

I agree, and had to pursue, at least for me, required me updating my older video tech knowledge to current.

Yes the BARCO was a very good projector, and shined when clean sources were fed into it.
I upped it`s display capabilities by purchasing the optional 3 gun $2,000.00 very low F #`s glass lenses, which according to the owners manual could provide 1,000 lines of resolution, source dependent(RGB/w Sync)Livingroom07-92.jpg , of course, and looked damn good from S-Video feeds from my Pioneer Elite LD, JVC S-Video VHS, and my high quality big dish(12`) sat. receiver, both analog, and later the Motorola digital one that replaced it, before the big dish program services went black(2011), due to the increasing popularity of the little dishes taking over.
But it paid for it`s self whenever a bad ass summer time thunder storm heavily pixelated or blue screened my neighbors tv screens, I still had a near perfect picture, with very mild bursts of faint static when there was nearby lightning activity/strikes.

Didn`t slow down me, or cause me to turn off any electronic equipment.. :crazy:

I agree, and had to pursue, at least for me, required me updating my older video tech knowledge to current.

Yes the BARCO was a very good projector, and shined when clean sources were fed into it.
I upped it`s display capabilities by purchasing the optional 3 gun $2,000.00 very low F #`s glass lenses, which according to the owners manual could provide 1,000 lines of resolution, source dependent(RGB/w Sync)View attachment 1231786 , of course, and looked damn good from S-Video feeds from my Pioneer Elite LD, JVC S-Video VHS, and my high quality big dish(12`) sat. receiver, both analog, and later the Motorola digital one that replaced it, before the big dish program services went black(2011), due to the increasing popularity of the little dishes taking over.
But it paid for it`s self whenever a bad ass summer time thunder storm heavily pixelated or blue screened my neighbors tv screens, I still had a near perfect picture, with very mild bursts of faint static when there was nearby lightning activity/strikes.

Didn`t slow down me, or cause me to turn off any electronic equipment.. :crazy:
I remember the days of the big dish... the early days when it was in the wild west period, like very early Internet.. back when network 'talent' were used to waiting for the 'on air light' thinking no one besides production staff might see, or hear them... Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, etc., ... when in fact it was on the satellite distribution feed. Ya had to be there kind of thing... Those LD players were the Blu ray of the day, we used to service them before the days of solid state lasers, amazing technology for a consumer product.

Not slowing down... I hear you, damn the torpedoes, continue to steer hand on the throttle in full celebration of life. Take care Bill Ferris... much appreciate you sharing experiences and knowledge.

I remember the days of the big dish... the early days when it was in the wild west period, like very early Internet.. back when network 'talent' were used to waiting for the 'on air light' thinking no one besides production staff might see, or hear them... Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, etc., ... when in fact it was on the satellite distribution feed. Ya had to be there kind of thing... Those LD players were the Blu ray of the day, we used to service them before the days of solid state lasers, amazing technology for a consumer product.

Not slowing down... I hear you, damn the torpedoes, continue to steer hand on the throttle in full celebration of life. Take care Bill Ferris... much appreciate you sharing experiences and knowledge.

Yes, I enjoyed Big Dish wild feeds too.

Thanks for your interest & compliments spicer.

Take care, and enjoy any media as you find, that pleases you.

Kind regards, OKB

Interesting. NZ is usually behind the rest of the world with most things IMO but a few years ago the main chains realised their prices were too high so they made all tix $10 - and $15 gets you a huge comfy reclinable seat in the "gold" section (and you can take beers in etc). Plus the experience is generally clean and quiet.

Now if only there were decent movies coming out, not 86.3% goddamn superhero endless remakes.

Back
Top Bottom