Am I the only one who seeks matching components?

leesonic

Captured on security camera...
Subscriber
Just wondering, am I the only one the seeks out matching components to go with a new piece of equipment they get?

I recently got a Fisher FM-2421 tuner, and also a Yamaha CT-800 tuner. Now I find myself trawling eBay and Craigslist during the early hours of the morning, looking for matching amps.

I also have a Sansui AU-D11II and a AU-D7, and I find myself looking for tuners to match them.

If I start looking for cassette decks too, I think I'll go crazy. Luckily (or not) there were less CD players around at that time, otherwise that would be something else to look for.

Lee.

Nope, I do it all the time. Rogue, McIntosh, Cary, VTL, B&K, CJ, Bottlehead, ASL, Quicksilver, etc.. I have a lot of matching sets in the audio vault. It's one of the funnest things about this hobby for me.

Me too. To me, they were designed to go together, both visually and sonically.

No, you're not.

I have a Yamaha T-80, C-80, M-80 stack. I seldom use the components all together, but that is how I acquired them and they certainly do look right together.

Not really that important for me. I go for overall performance of each unit. If they are from the same manufacturer it is a plus.

I do have a majority Hitachi system in one room but another room a mating of tube and SS, Fisher Carver Marantz Technics Sony.

Barney

Its nice, but it would usually end me up with gear I don't use. I don't spend much time listening to the radio so I'm not real motivated to find the tuner. I would like to have the preamp that matches my Bogen stereo amp though.

Nope, you are not alone in this quest. By way of warning, view the picture below.

My Yamaha search led me to this:

YamStack01_zps329d61b0.jpg

when i got my sony ta-n86b, i felt absolutely compelled to find the matching ta-e86b. even if it cost me a thousand dollars, plus sixty bucks of shipping to canada, plus exchange, plus a hundred and fifteen dollars worth of ups raperage fees when it got to my door.

i even passed on a similarly priced ta-e88 within canada because i knew i'd never find a matching ta-n88. plus it was a 100v model. and the colour difference between it and my ta-n86b would drive me crazy.

I keep visual styles together... that is I do not like a silver faced component in with a black system and vice versa. I also like to keep period-ish in that (for example) an amp with LED bar power meters matches with a (for example) cassette deck with LED bars, and I put units with analog VUs together.

I am not that into same brand/period but I have a few peices like that.

i prefer them all matching .same make same series
i remember publications like what hi-fi they had matches for different makers so as an example a certain tuner was compatible with a certain amp from a different maker .. suppose its a bit subjective really and its what works best for you .

well - I can tell you with some authority that the matching amplifier for a Yamaha CT-800 is well worth searching out.

The CA-800 is one of my favorite Yamaha pieces to actually listen to (and they all sound good).

I also want to "complete the set" for my favorite separates. Sometimes it is a mission. It took several years for a KT-917 with rack handles AND in the right condition to show up.

Nope,you're not alone.. I'm on a daily Ebay UK lookout for a few components,namely a Sansui TU-X1 tuner and now a Sansui CA-3000 pre-amp for the recently acquired BA-5000 power-amp. Of-course,I've got other pre-amps (and integrated amps) I could use,but somehow just won't really feel 100% satisfied until I get the matching set.. Sure is an addictive hobby!

Last edited:
If I can match I do so. If it can't be done reasonable, I complement. Right now my main rack is a mix of silver and black face, but there is good system synergy.

There is something I find satisfying about a PAS 3 stacked on an ST 70. Haven't gone out of my way to match, but it's nice when it happens.

Now my DIY stuff could be described as matching......crude:D

Within limits. Right now, I'm using a silver-faced pre-amp with a black power amp, because the matching pre-amp is hard to find, and very expensive. Not only that, but it most likely does not sound much different.

If a good deal on the matching pre-amp comes along, of course I'll take it!

I actually asked this question myself a while back in a post about my growing Nikko collection. I started with a Gamma I tuner because I had heard great things about it and I wanted a tuner for my modern (Arcam) system. Later, I stumbled on to a Beta II preamp for next to nothing. That meant that I just had to have an Alpha II amp. That one was no bargain, but when you want to complete the set...The latest was again, I discovered that there was a matching equalizer made - fortunately that one was back in the low cost realm again, though I'm not even sure what to do with it.

By the way, the Gamma I tuner was replaced in my modern system because I found a reasonable deal on a matching Arcam tuner. It might all be my particular manifestation of OCD, I can't say that I am skilled enough at listening to pick up on any symbiosis with matching components. But they sure look cool.

Back
Top Bottom