Am I the only one who seeks matching components?

Mine all match ... knobs and buttons on the front, plugs and jacks on the rear ... close enough for an ex-government worker anyway. <G>

Even if my system DID match, it wouldn't for long, as I'm constantly experimenting to see what different combos put out. Only thing currently matching is the speakers ... that's pretty much a requirement ...

It is very important for all my components to match in my main system but I kind of cheat and have separates and other brand receivers sde by side.

When it's project listening and comparison time a switching system has a large amount of gear being listened to with instant comparison.....people don't do that much it seems?

I'm gonna have to update my sig soon. I recently got a Carver surround preamp/processor that takes the digital signals and converts to the analog outs. Front is my A-10, Center is a KA-7100, and Rear is an SX-850. There have been a few matching 5 ch amps for the Surround preamp/processor on the auction site. There just haven't been any deals on the ones that have come up so far. Eventually I would like to get the matching amp.

At this point I have nothing that matches except my speakers! :D

There is something I find satisfying about a PAS 3 stacked on an ST 70. Haven't gone out of my way to match, but it's nice when it happens.

Now my DIY stuff could be described as matching......crude:D

A match era wise, but stacking a PAS3 on top of an ST-70 would make for one hot preamp. I would assume stacked on a shelf above?

As for me, my problem is getting multiple copies of the same thing, especially when a bargain comes up.

Multiple Apt Holman preamps and amps, Yamaha P2200/P2201 and PC2002M/PC2002 power amps, same with BGW 250/750 amps, JBL 5234/5235 electronic crossovers, Nakamichi cassette decks,

I'm trying to remember what receiver went with my QS-500 quad converter ...

5306526966_ff4abc13ae.jpg

The QRX-5500a had the same meters, but seems to me there was a two channel receiver same design ... unusual design for a Sui ...

As for me, my problem is getting multiple copies of the same thing, especially when a bargain comes up.,

Yeah,same with me too! I've purchased two Kenwood/Trio Supreme 600 amps with their matching 600T tuners so far this year (already owned 'em both) because they were going cheap/badly advertised. Now I own three of each!.. Still no regrets on my part as they're amongst the very best build quality you can buy (within reason).. Also,most importantly they sound awesome!
I'm not gonna buy anymore though as I think three of each is all you'll ever likely need!

When it's project listening and comparison time a switching system has a large amount of gear being listened to with instant comparison.....people don't do that much it seems?

I'd switch around a lot more but I got those big dreadnought 70s-era class receivers and it's about as much fun as swapping gearboxes, and nearly as heavy.

When the house renovations are over I will have room for a smaller system also and there I may play around with flea-watt things, maybe polish a few turds and see how they come up, just a play around system.

My last two systems have been:

- An A3CR series based Musical Fidelity system including their A3CR power and preamp as well as their A324 DAC

- A Naim system with a NAP150 power amp, NAC112 preamp, CD5 CD player and NAT05 tuner

One of the benefits for me was system matching and synergy was a no-brainer with these two systems.

No attempt to match here, though I do have a CJ tube pre and power amp paired (of very different vintage) and a Yamaha CA and CT-1010 pairing, though they aren't in the same system at the moment. Apart from that all is a complete free-for-all around here.

It is nice if you can do it however, in the past audio enthusiasts were of the mind that no one company made the best of everything. So the tendency for these people was to have a mish-mash of several different manufacturers, which although it might not look so good, performed better overall.

I have wanted to get an L-07T to go along with my other gear, and occasionally I look for them on various sites, however they seem to end up going for more than I am willing to spend on a tuner. I hear they are supposed to be very good tuners, though I don't really listen to the radio when I am at home I may be more apt to if I had one hooked up. :scratch2:

I'd like an L-07D too, but that's just not gonna happen...

I like a matched set. If I can, I like the same era for everything but sometimes that isn't practical. I have complete Pioneer and Yamaha sets, source to speakers and Sansui to the speakers which are Klipsch.

My Pioneer is mostly early to mid 70's, the Yamaha is late 70's to 80's and the Sansui is early to late 70's with the Klipsch from the 90's. Obviously, CD Players don't count.

They all sound great and have their own unique sonic signature which, to me, keeps it interesting from a collecting perspective. It seems that electronically, sonically, and aesthetically, components from the same Manufacturer work together well. :music:

It is nice if you can do it however, in the past audio enthusiasts were of the mind that no one company made the best of everything. So the tendency for these people was to have a mish-mash of several different manufacturers, which although it might not look so good, performed better overall.

I've wondered what people have thought about this logic, it makes a lot of sense. It might be the underlying reason why I feel a little guilty about matching components. I realized that I'm not too obsessive, though. I have a need to have the core electronics (tuners, amps, preamps, maybe cd players) match, but I feel no urge at all to match speakers or turntables. Well, almost none.

I picked up a rotel 1312 amp but could never find the matching tuner so will probably sell it, then I bought a kenwood 700m and found the matching pre but still no luck with the 700t so bought a 600t instead, now i just bought a hitachi hma/hca-6500 but wouldn't you know that hitachi never made a tuner available in north america that's an exact match, closest available is a lo-d fm-380 from japan so I'll wait and see it I can find one around here.

I house my Electronics in a unit with doors, only opening it to power them up.
Out of Sight out of mind :) Neat and effective.
Suspect this thread is most about decor rather than sounds?
IMO it's rare to find a maker that makes (likely Made as this is AK) Equally capable product..across their range and ..rarely..in visually matching components
....unless into seriously pricey boutique brands. Which can offer consistent; sound quality/capability/visuals products.
But even there, it's not a given.

Im in both camps. Lots of my gear have its mates, But theres always a hodge-podge of things im playing around with from different companies, and different eras.

There are some things i just collect because i like them , the original cannister shaped musical fidelity x-series components immediately come to mind. Im one unit shy from completing the set, just couldnt pull the trigger when the item came up. It was a bit more than i wanted to drop on the one piece from that line that i know i wont actually use ( the tone control/eq module). If i find one for shorter dough, im in.
There are plenty of duplicates that i need to part ways with as well.

Aesthetically matched components definitely look sharp in some cases ( not all) the pioneer spec one is way too busy but if you want to complete a spec system, you really dont have other options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom