Amazon Echo Dot with my vintage system??

I personally don't care, but I think everyone using these devices should be advised that they are being listened in on. A lawyer in a divorce case might be considered of "material significance" if one of the partners found evidence of infidelity on the Amazon website. I can think of other scenarios, but so can anyone else, so I won't post a list. Every user should be aware that they have a listening device in their home, IMO.

Well, maybe they get what they deserve. ;)

Anyway, I'd hope it doesn't need to be explained to too many people that a voice-activated device has to actively listen in order to function. The extent of the recording is another matter, on which I agree with uofmtiger.

I would like to thank everyone for the replies. It sounds like the easiest solution would be to get a wifi plug and plug my receiver into it. Then, Alexa could turn on the wifi plug, be plugged into the aux on the receiver and also then play songs on demand. Sound about right???

I agree that people should be aware that they have a listening device in their homes, but Amazon and Google claim they only save what you say after the keyword. Both allow you to see and delete the information they record. If you find evidence that they are lying let me know, I would love to be part of a class action lawsuit against companies with pockets this deep.

Yes only after the keyword; Consider this:The Dot is playing music as you requested it to! The phone rings, it is your "cheating partner", the music is too loud, so you say Alexa "turn it down" and continue with your phone conversation, all the while the Dot is recording everything you said after the word "Alexa". All is well, unless your spouse happens to see this conversation on the device page. Far fetched, maybe, but people get caught up in far fetched situations, all the time. (look at "me too" 30 years after the fact, or some of our politicians problems, due to recording devices) Just say'n!!

Last edited:
I would like to thank everyone for the replies. It sounds like the easiest solution would be to get a wifi plug and plug my receiver into it. Then, Alexa could turn on the wifi plug, be plugged into the aux on the receiver and also then play songs on demand. Sound about right???

That's certainly a way it can be done. Is there a particular reason to have the the WiFi turn-on as part of the deal, or just basic convenience?

Well, maybe they get what they deserve. ;)

Anyway, I'd hope it doesn't need to be explained to too many people that a voice-activated device has to actively listen in order to function. The extent of the recording is another matter, on which I agree with uofmtiger.

And maybe they don't get what they deserve.:( I've known plenty of guy's who accidently found out that there wife was cheating on them. Usually, they not only lose the life that they worked hard to build, but they also have to pay the cheating spouse for the rest of their life, not to mention child support etc.
People might know that there is a voice activated device near them, but many might not realize it is recording them, and putting that recording in print, which can be read by other people.:oops:

And maybe they don't get what they deserve.:( I've known plenty of guy's who accidently found out that there wife was cheating on them. Usually, they not only lose the life that they worked hard to build, but they also have to pay the cheating spouse for the rest of their life, not to mention child support etc.
People might know that there is a voice activated device near them, but many might not realize it is recording them, and putting that recording in print, which can be read by other people.:oops:

Believe it or not I actually am sympathetic to someone getting the short end of the stick if no fault of their own, rare as that actually is. But, it all comes out in the wash and Amazon/Dot are not to blame for the situation.

The measure of a man is not what he does when being watched but what he does when he believes he is not.

Last edited:
This seems to have wandered from a well intentioned warning for the (possibly) uninformed, to a philosophical discussion that I never intended to initiate. So rather than bore everyone to death, I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom