Amazon Echo Dot

My Dot arrived.

Very, very cool indeed.

I bought a WEMO switch to control the stereo. Which makes turning on the system voice activated.

Walk into the room. say "Alexa, turn on the stereo" and the stereo turns on. Say "play music" and she plays music from my amazon music library. Free upload of 250 songs.

Or I can say... "Alexa, play my Jazz funk Playlist from spotify" and it does.

I can say "Alexa, volume up, volume down", or have her set the volume to any level from one to ten. Also pause, resume or next.

Or I can just say "Alexa, play Low rider by war from spotify"... or any other song I can name, and out it comes. Pretty cool!

It works well. And It Sounds great!
That Wemo switch is a good idea.

Have you tried sending audio out to a Bluetooth device? I am curious to know if that works and whether it can send a simultaneous signal to Bluetooth and the analog outputs.

I plan on using this in the kitchen via analog to the aux input of an Airplay speaker, but I have a shared wall that also has a vintage Marantz receiver and I have hooked up a Bluetooth receiver to it. I am just wondering if it will play music in both rooms.

(I am still waiting on my Dot)

I haven't tried to connect to a bt speaker and play from the out. I'll have to give it a try.

Just for Giggles I turned on my system from work the other day and blasted some Rage against the Machine. It was 9am. It woke the wife up. She was Thrilled!

OK. I paired the dot to a bt speaker. She now talks from the speaker and not the analog audio output. So it appears its not simultaneous.

OK. I paired the dot to a bt speaker. She now talks from the speaker and not the analog audio output. So it appears its not simultaneous.
Thanks for checking. I would prefer simultaneous, but it's not a big deal. I am looking forward to messing around with it, if they ever send me the darn thing. :D

It has really exceeded my expectations. I believe it will continue to get better with time.
I got my Dot last night and it is indeed awesome, especially with my Hue lights and WeMo switches. I tried out the Bluetooth and it looks like I can say "pair device" and "disconnect device" to move from Bluetooth to Aux and back. I also set it up to use my calendars and Grocery Reminders list in iOS (via "if this then that"). I am going to try it out with J River this evening and see how that works for my local library, but I really like it so far.

Was just reading that the upcoming Google device will be much more powerful, as it will be hooked into many more services. Interesting, will be watching developments. Ain't competition great?

Was just reading that the upcoming Google device will be much more powerful, as it will be hooked into many more services. Interesting, will be watching developments. Ain't competition great?
What is impressive is just how good Amazon Echo is right out of the gate. It will be interesting to see how others implement this type of functionality into their ecosystems.

The IFTT app that I mentioned above is really good at easily tying unsupported services together, so that helps the Echo get outside of its own playground a little easier. As an example, it will allow you to arm/disarm Arlo security cameras with Alexa even though they are not directly compatible.

I got a chance to look at their demonstration of Google Home. It definitely looks interesting if you are in the Google ecosystem and don't mind them listening in. If you open up your every move to Google, then this could be the best assistant by a mile even if Apple gets in the game. Apple's stand on privacy will definitely put them in the backseat for intuitive features regardless of whether they get in the game or not. ( Though, I still want them to come out with something similar even if it is less intuitive. If it worked with Apple Music and AirPlay, I would be on board). That being said, Apple and Google both have advantages over Amazon because they are on most people's phones.

The feature for playing music in other rooms will be a killer feature. It also looked to be able to send video to the Chromecast, so maybe the Chromecast Audio devices can work in that system.

Lots of snark in that article, but the premise seems like a very logical move on Apple's part. (of course, it has been an obvious move since they came out with Siri) I will wait and see what they offer. I am pretty happy with the Echo and find some new use for it everyday. But if I had to :D, I could always find a different, but very useful place for it.

We use iPhones in my house, but I think we'll stick with the Echo because we also use Amazon Prime. Mostly for the shipping discounts, but the free video and music content is a nice bonus. Echo works seamlessly to deliver the free music. It's not something I would utilize on my main stereo (I stream Tidal for that), but it's great for the kitchen. My 12 year old daughter is saving up for an Echo Dot so she can plug in her crappy iHome speakers in her room and queue up all the latest hits on Prime Music and I don't have to buy her a Tidal subscription. I think she likes talking to the Echo more than she does listening to it. She loves to ask it to tell her jokes. Eh, keeps her busy.

Oh, and my wife is starting to become more of a "power user". She's buying toilet paper off Amazon, ordering pizzas, and requesting Uber rides just like in the commercials.

I don't blame them. I have read articles saying Apple is way behind in this area, but when I look at the market to see exactly where they are so far behind, I don't see it.

I have the Dot and it can do things that Siri can't do, but Siri can do things the Dot can't do (like control Apple Music or take commands no matter where I am). The same can probably be said comparing Google Now to the Echo at this point. The main difference is that Apple/Google don't currently make a device that has numerous microphones and sits in a convenient location. Google has announced that product and I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple get in that market in the next year.

If you think about how these things could integrate into the operating systems of phones, you can see where the big advantage lies. As an example, if I am listening to music in the kitchen on Google's pod while I get ready to leave the house and say "Google how's traffic to work", it will know where am I am going and be able to pop the map up with the best route and start playing music (I was already listening to) in my car via Bluetooth when the car starts. That is something that Amazon can't do unless they get back in the phone market with much more success than they have now.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Dot, based on where we are now, but I don't expect their advantage to continue for long. That being said, I expect that I will have the Dot somewhere in the house for at least the next couple of years, if not longer. This market will move slow because it will only improve as developers find a use for it.

Whoa, Amazon completely turned the wireless speaker market upside down last year!

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-echo-speaker-sales-beats-bose-and-logitech-2016-1

https://www.1010data.com/company/blog/can-you-hear-me-now-the-surprising-success-of-the-amazon-echo/

1010data%20graphs.png

Last edited:
Wow! Looks good for Amazon. I wonder how those numbers will hold up after Google enters the market, though. Personally, I don't want Google listening in my home, so I will stick with the Echo. However, if Apple gets in the market, it may make my decision more difficult...depending on whether they open up Siri to more third party developers.

Interesting times for this emerging market of voice controlled speakers combined with personal assistants.

Looks like Amazon might be launching a new streaming service to capitalize on Echo's success.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/10/amazon-spotify-apple-music/
It wouldn't surprise me if Amazon got into this business, but I found the "partner at Venrock" assessments very strange. He thinks it will have more impact on Apple than Spotify. I think just the opposite is true. There are many reasons, but the main one is that Spotify would lose its competitive advantage of being the only on-demand paid streaming service on the Echo. It also doesn't do anything to impact Apple's advantage on their own ever-growing ecosystem.

Back
Top Bottom