Amazon Fire Stick and Plex for audio streaming

markshan

Sir Thrift a Lot
My wife has a Prime account so I am thinking of getting a Fire Stick so the boy can watch Nick Jr stuff which is free with Prime. However, I'm thinking maybe there may be something in it for Dad too. So I have a couple questions...

My main PC (the one with all of my audio files) is hooked up by ethernet to my wireless modem (the one from the cable company). Will I be able to stream WAVs, FLACs, MP3s etc. from this wired computer to the stick? How about .ts video files?

Will there be any bitrate conversion inherent in the stream or will it all be native?

Will 4.0 (quad) or 5.1 WAVs/FLACs stream with all channels in tact? Thanks.

I'm also open to software suggestions other than Plex if you've had good luck with something.

^ I don't really know, sorry. I use mine for very basic TV stuff. I'd suggest looking at their website, kodi.tv , and/or the forum dedicated to Kodi.

Firestick has a Plex App. I've never used, but it exists.
It also now has a Slingbox App, which is more dependable then Chromecast. I've been using it for the last month 900mi from the SBox and I've been able to use the app in HD mode and I've only experienced very minor buffering.

https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/amazon-fire-tv/
I didn't know there was Slingbox for the Fire stick. Thanks for this.

Kodi

Multiple audio just fine. Tons of options to tweak. Seamless if you use Mythtv PVR.

Kodi on Rpi3 has better video handling and maybe a better picture but the amazon stick and remote are pretty slick.

Last edited:
I have just over 1TB of music and movies on an external disc attached to my computer. I have a Tablo, a Firestick, a smart LG television and a cheap Denon reciever. I chose Emby over Plex but have used both. The challenge I am facing now is that streaming music requires the television be turned on and stay on. I can use the media server through my television or the Firestick, but only through the television and out to the Denon.

To answer your questions, the server interprets the stream and outputs decoded digital data, so the server is a player. That is true of both audio and video. Eh, I used MakeMKV to process DVDs into .mkv files which both Emby and Plex can read. Plex will convert your .mkv files to .mp4s. I don't know if Emby will do that, I have no need for .mp4 files since the .mkv files work just fine. I will say though, the MakeMKV process allows you to strip out all the extras and previews.

I have neither the knowledge, or experience, to answer your last question about WAVs and FLACs. I suspect that your last two questions are answered by the capability of the media server you use.

I have just over 1TB of music and movies on an external disc attached to my computer. I have a Tablo, a Firestick, a smart LG television and a cheap Denon reciever. I chose Emby over Plex but have used both. The challenge I am facing now is that streaming music requires the television be turned on and stay on. I can use the media server through my television or the Firestick, but only through the television and out to the Denon.

To answer your questions, the server interprets the stream and outputs decoded digital data, so the server is a player. That is true of both audio and video. Eh, I used MakeMKV to process DVDs into .mkv files which both Emby and Plex can read. Plex will convert your .mkv files to .mp4s. I don't know if Emby will do that, I have no need for .mp4 files since the .mkv files work just fine. I will say though, the MakeMKV process allows you to strip out all the extras and previews.

I have neither the knowledge, or experience, to answer your last question about WAVs and FLACs. I suspect that your last two questions are answered by the capability of the media server you use.
What do you favor about Emby over Plex?

I favor Emby since it works on all my devices, it is slightly cheaper, and the client on my television has more options like genre, alphabetic, etc. I don't remember the Plex client per se, but I remember that Emby was more friendly. The Emby server has a bit more on the option side as well. I have used both in plain vanilla mode, no add-ons. I bought the Emby package, if you don't the server posts a 10 second penalty to the client.

Well, I've been using the Firestick/Plex combo for a while and all I can say is that I'm not impressed. I notice some "choppiness" in the image when playing 1080 .ts files from my computer. The sound is even worse. I have it set to play the native stream rather than resampling, but some things just refuse to sound right.

I've reached the conclusion that the only thing that is going to do everything I want at a level to suit me is a media PC. Good thing I have lots of computer parts kicking around.

Back
Top Bottom