Amazon Prime Streaming Service & Using a DAC from Laptop

can-man

Ok, please don't make fun of me but I have been using AP out of my Samsung G7 headphone output to my vintage Mcintosh C-26 pre-amp via a 3.5mm to rca cable. The sound is good but wondering could I improve this by going from my laptop to the pre-amp with using a USB DAC such as a Dragonfly.

Or can you change the quality of AP or do I need a different streaming source?

this is what i found from amazon re the bit rate (kinda confusing):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379550
Bit Rate
Where possible, we encode our MP3 files using variable bit rates for optimal audio quality and file sizes, aiming at an average of 256 kilobits per second (kbps). Using a variable bit rate allows us to allocate a higher bit rate to the more complex sections of music files while using a smaller bit rate for the less complex sections. The average of these rates is then calculated to produce an average bit rate for the entire file that represents the overall sound quality. Some of our content is encoded using a constant bit rate of 256 kbps. This content will have the same excellent audio quality at a slightly larger file size.

so, the low-ish bitrate is going to be a factor in the sound quality you experience.

laptop to external DAC should definitely get you better sound quality than straight out of your phone.

I use a chromecast laptop out the usb port to a Maverick TubeMagic D1+ with tube and Burr Brown opamp upgrade which can usually be had for just over $200 with the seemingly omnipresent discount. I think the AP stream sounds fine. And the DAC is great.

Your phone likely outperforms the Dragonfly, certainly in terms of crosstalk.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/10/measurements-apple-iphone-4-iphone-6.html
The iPhone is great if you don't need more power (which would apply here), but the OP seemed to be asking about his laptop. I don't think most laptops sound as good as the iPhone because of the moving parts, especially fans. Here is archimango's quote on that issue:

"Compared to the typical headphone jack on a laptop, it'll provide your headphones with more power, lower noise floor, and more dynamic range especially for 24-bit audio. I'd be very curious to know what objective differences there are between a 1.0 and 1.2 version of the Dragonfly if AudioQuest claims that 1.2 sounds better (other than no clipping at 100% volume)..."

http://archimago.blogspot.com/search?q=dragonfly

Personally, I prefer the sound of the Dragonfly to both the iPhone aux out and the laptop aux. He mentions:

"Subjectively I thought the Dragonfly imparted a "pleasantness" to the presentation rather than aim for absolute technical precision as demonstrated objectively"

I prefer a "pleasantness" most of the time because I use headphones like the AKG K701s and the Shure SRH940s, but I bet some would prefer the sound off the aux. As with most things audio, personal taste gets involved.

Back
Top Bottom