Amazon Will Be Your Next Shipper

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by KingBubba, Feb 10, 2018.

1. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Amazon will always have problems with 'the last mile'. Here in Portland we have Amazon bunnies (those unmarked white vans), Flex (sort of like Uber), and of course UPS and USPS. How will they roll these out to rural America that only has USPS?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just saw something on the news about this last night. Four vendors have been FAA approved to do this.

I suspect many will be shot down when they fly across private property.

3. lukiedog

lukiedog Super Member

History repeats itself. There used to be a company called "Acme" that made everything from robots to canonballs, giant slingshots, you name it.

John James likes this.
  4. Awesomeaudio

Awesomeaudio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hahaha yeah I remember too.
    10964i8C08B354E59D361E.jpeg
    1jugh9.jpg
    images (52).jpeg

5. orsen

orsen just another old cheapskate that likes audio Subscriber

i am a courier and have been for sometime
    this business is very intense, does not pay well [in most but not all cases]
    and employee turn over is very high [ except at a couple that pay well and or are union]

very likely amazon will do this with next to no overhead
    they will need warehouses,forklifts, [leased/rented] receivers sorters and drivers
    mostly minimum wage or slightly more or worse yet, piece work
    then they will lease vehicles,buy insurance .. no maintenance or loss of value due to age
    hand out a route map, tee-shirts,hats and scanners
    easy to walk away if it doesn't work out
    but i have seen 2 companies roll in here and set up just like that and both are still operating

more companies are trying for owner/operator set ups, havnt seen that one work yet

the big expense is getting to the cities, planes and trucks are leased and mostly mixed loads
    i unload the freight plane here every morning it has stuff for 5 big courier companies.
    its sorted at the airport as it come down the conveyor, we cherry pick as it comes down.
    you learn to read labels and bar codes real quick

in the big cities the stuff is containerized per company and loaded on the plane accordingly

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  6. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I got 3 cd's, and a couple other things my wife ordered inside the same box as a 40lb sack of dog food with just one small strip of packaging paper thrown in. Ha! Who the hell are they hiring that would have such little common sense??

Then I ordered 2 rolls of stairway thread safety tape and they each went into their own separate shipping box which was big enough to fit 12 rolls each! Amazing how they have managed to get to where they are to actually become a shipper themselves. To say nothing about their plans to actually launch into space. I simply don't understand this company..

Please register to disable this ad.