Ambient lighting.

Some historic home I toured had similar lighting, but all the way around the room, and with the actual lights hidden behind a ridgeline, so only the softer reflections could be seen directly. It was a very nice effect.

I have been wanting to do this kind of thing too! But I am hoping for more responses and Ideas from others here.

I have a friend who put painted guttering around the room, in his basement, and layed the light strips inside the guttering. This had a nice glow around the perimeter .

We have a Philips Hue system, I recently purchased a Hue Go portable wireless light that is quite good even on its own without being connected to a bridge. I haven't taken pics though, here's a pic of the light from he web...it can be quite bright, enough to illuminate an entire room any colour you wish.

IMG_1405.PNG

We have a Philips Hue system, I recently purchased a Hue Go portable wireless light that is quite good even on its own without being connected to a bridge. I haven't taken pics though, here's a pic of the light from he web...it can be quite bright, enough to illuminate an entire room any colour you wish.

View attachment 912193
I have hue lights around the house. In the office, I have a couple of their strips behind the monitors. I have some cheaper LEDs connected to the back of my Expedit bookshelves in the living room, but I much prefer the Hues.

Some historic home I toured had similar lighting, but all the way around the room, and with the actual lights hidden behind a ridgeline, so only the softer reflections could be seen directly. It was a very nice effect.

I have a friend who put painted guttering around the room, in his basement, and layed the light strips inside the guttering. This had a nice glow around the perimeter .

I'm with these guys. Lights like you already have, placed inside a channel or gutter along the perimeter of the room would work great.

MY rule of thumb with most lighting in my home is that I do NOT want to see any portion of the actual bulb, only the light reflected off walls and surfaces. There's exceptions of course, but you will find me using a lot of uplights and such in the home. Where I cannot do that I'll use fabric shades or frosted glass shades to shield me from seeing the bulb, and to soften and even out the light.

Back
Top Bottom