Ampex Console

ETxPick

I'm looking for help with a barn find! Ran across this in a storage room in an old bsrm. The cabinet is in good shspe..the turn table is in bad shape. Have not tried to power this up to see if it works...just didn't want to cause any damage...can anyone help me with information or value for this?

Attachments

• 20170319_174432.jpg
    20170319_174432.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 72
  • 20170319_174546.jpg
    20170319_174546.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20170319_174053.jpg
    20170319_174053.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 70
Ampex consoles are a rare find, and very sought after - unquestionably worth restoring. Since it is a tube unit (probably dates to 1958-1959), PLEASE find a tech who can bring up on a variac, before attempting to power it up. My guess is that the turntable is a Garrard RC 88/4 or RC 121, typically found in consoles of this quality and vintage. How about a reel to reel - does this unit have one?

Last edited:
Agreed! Don't mess with it.
That is a pile of money if treated right.

Where are you? Maybe we know a competent tech near you.

Ampex consoles are a rare find, and very sought after - unquestionably worth restoring. Since it is a tube unit (probably dates to 1958-1959), PLEASE find a tech who can bring up on a variac, before attempting to power it up. My guess is that the turntable is a Garrard RC 88/4 or RC 121, typically found in consoles of this quality and vintage. How about a reel to reel - does this unit have one?

It doesn't have a reel to reel. I'm looking to sell this as is...where would be the best place to obtain a current value for this?

It doesn't have a reel to reel. I'm looking to sell this as is...where would be the best place to obtain a current value for this?

Can't speak of selling in the regular forums, there's a D&S (Dollars & Sense) forum down toward the bottom of the front page. If you want to post a classified, you need to subscribe for $25 to have access to bartertown, where a lot of hungry audio heads pore over the ads every day.

The pieces sell on eBay.
They jump around
there are a few different types of amps in those.
They can go $500-$1500 depending on market and type and working condition.
The preamp goes around $400-$500, same deal, market and working condition.
The speakers have been known to fetch hundreds of dollars.
The tuners don't go very high, maybe $100?

In unknown working condition, who knows what someone will pay.
As a whole unit, you are local sale only and if lucky, may get $500-$1000.
If there is no tube interest local. You may get much less.

But, an hour from Dallas is good.

FWIW, I got a very nice one from an estate sale for $75.

Can't speak of selling in the regular forums, there's a D&S (Dollars & Sense) forum down toward the bottom of the front page. If you want to post a classified, you need to subscribe for $25 to have access to bartertown, where a lot of hungry audio heads pore over the ads every day.

Oops, missed which forum this was in.
Mod, please move to correct forum.

Yes, subscribe here for $25 and offer it to the members here.

Back
Top Bottom