Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

Yes, I think I might be mixing up the things ! Anyways, I haven`t played with them, simply adjusted to correct values according to the manual as they seemed to drift away.
Now, how could I decrease milivolt values on speaker connectors on HK 3490 ?

Well it's been a few months since I recapped my Sherwood S-8910 and here's the DC offset readings as of today; 4.5mV left, 11mV right.

My Rotel RB976 (6 channels) range from 4.1mV to 8.4 mV. They are running quiescent currents of about 90mA per channel. It runs slightly warm, but it does sound better than the factory recommendation.

Do you need a preamp connected to the amplifier to get a "true" reading, or can this be done with the preamp disconnected?

I check my Rotel RB-980BX after leaving it on for 15 minutes.

L - 1.1mV
R - 8.6mV

Last edited:
Sherwood S-7200. Just purchased for $20. Left channel::0.0mv. Right channel: 42mv. When listening (headphones, haven't hooked it to speakers), right channel is "static-y" and distorted.
Also, inadvertently touched two control knobs at the same time and got a lovely hum in the right channel. Be gentle, as I am a newb:), but I presume this indicates a ground issue? For the hum, at least?

Do you need a preamp connected to the amplifier to get a "true" reading, or can this be done with the preamp disconnected?
Measure the DC offset at the speaker terminals with everything disconnected and volume at maximum (select a line input if using an integrated amp).

Sony TA-F222ESR
R Channel: 32.5 mV; L Channel: 28.5mV
Both are not good.
I also notice a strange thing. My readings are actually negative. I am sure the connections are correct. Any explanation?

My newly purchased Sansui AU-D907 (919's Japanese model name)
Was Left 23.5mV, Right 6.5mV
Now Left 2.5mV, Right 2mV after Bias and DC offset adjustment. :)

Yamaha cr 820

R: 11.8
L: 11.6
But I went to measure idling current, and get readings of 0 on both left and right. How can this be or what am I doing wrong? Red to tp1 - black to tp2 - receiver on for 10 mins, speakers off, aux selected, vol at Minimum

Purchased an refurbished Sansui 661 from local shop. Decent sound but decided to check the offset after warming it up.
Before: R: 22~28 mV
L: 55~58.5 mV

After adj: R: 2.1 ~ 4.8 mV
L: 0.8 ~ 2.6 mV

I still love the sound of this old SS receiver and my mind says it sounds even better now. EDIT: I listened to the Sansui for hours yesterday. Didn't believe it could sound so much better! Unreal now. THANK YOU Echowars!

Checked an old Kenwood KR-5060 that powers up the kitchen turntable over some vintage Sansui speakers (don't laugh, it's just for making coffee and toast in the mornings). This thing sounds really clean and clear, maybe it's because of decent DC offset?

R: 2.2 mV to 4.5mV
L: -1.9 mV to 2.6 mV

Fisher CA-880 amp (has a Darlington pair and can't find where to adjust it). Still sounds really decent though. Clean.

R: 48.2 mV
L: 52.1 mV

Only with the Sansui does the offset mV swing around and fluctuates a lot even when it is really warmed up but it looks like that's okay. This thread is huge and I've only read up to the first 160 pages or so although I jumped to the end to see what's been happening. Thanks Echo for starting and sharing your knowledge!

Last edited:
Had to go up a scale - 0.176/0.230 on the little SA-5300 :eek:

Well, looks like i'm transistor buying. Ain't no trim pots on this baby. Actually, there are two wires you cut when replacing them to "align" the amp - Mine have been cut (before I got it) - Any idea what this is/does? The procedure is in the service manual...

Yamaha P-2200
Left channel is 8.6 to 9.0 mOhms; Right channel is 9.6 to 10.1 mOhms. Was about 30 mOhms both channels prior to changing out input pair transistors.

Back
Top Bottom