An Attempt At Fisher 400C Transformation...

Yeah, I got the extra solder tip from notdigital’s thread. The first bulb I tried that on, IMMEDIATELY melted thru the tip and fried the element with molten solder. Figured I’d attempt another route. lol

"EDIT; I don’t mean that I widened the entire socket! Just pushed that flat spot out far enough for the bulbs to screw in past it!"

Got it!

The aquarium airline hose idea is genius.

Unless someone points out an issue with my voltage readings, I think that's a wrap until I tackle the phono section in the upcoming weeks. The bulbs, it turns out, were arcing. Once I widened the sockets (thanks @RUmad!) and tightened them (5 fried bulbs later), no trouble in sight. I removed the top cover for better access and that enabled me to tighten with my pliers without the bulbs separating from their base.

I also installed new AC lines and a lamp switch to preserve the internal power switch (not grounded to the chassis).

Tomorrow I'll run the pre through my MC30s and report back (with better photos). VERY excited. Hopefully things have quieted down!

IMG_6950.JPG
IMG_6949.JPG IMG_6951.JPG

Well, the pre sounds amazing. I think I'm in love. Wow. Can't wait to do the phono mod!!
Pictures of her in my system:
IMG_7006.JPG IMG_7008.JPG IMG_7009.JPG

Video link on youtube:

Good on you man. Well done, congratulations. Looks great. Sounds great. Feels great too, don’t it? Enjoy.

Thanks @RUmad

It feels so good—this has been my toughest project to date, so it's that much sweeter!

@dcgillespie Thank you so much for doing all that ground work, and for offering me some guidance along the way. I'm very appreciative.

After listening to some vinyl for a couple of hours today, I will say that the phono section does lacks some low-end, and the highs are little more accentuated than what I'm used to. Can't wait to tackle the phono section mod. To be continued.

A Mac for each channel ?! Good lord ! THAT'S what I call a stereo system ! My eyes started rumbling just by looking at it...LOL.

A Mac for each channel ?! Good lord ! THAT'S what I call a stereo system ! My eyes started rumbling just by looking at it...LOL.

Lol. Yeah. MC30s are the best. I think I'd sell everything else in my system before I'd sell them.

Glad it's working well for you! My 400C is still my favorite pre.......

So glad it's working well...thanks to you. Seriously, you should start some sort of donations account that we can donate to. Both my systems (bedroom, Magnavox 93xx) and now my main system hold your stamp!

Hi Folks,

Well, I've been the fisher since May and I love it.

Here's an issue I never posted about: I get no sound out of Aux 1. Tuner and Aux 2 play perfectly. I also only get sound out the left channel out of phono section (both inputs). I've triple checked everything coming from the turntable—all wires are good. Should I clean the contacts on the selector? Because I get great sound from Tuner and Aux2, I'm assuming I just need to clean something.

Any guidance would help.

Best,
Tysen

For starters, make sure that the Aux 1 and Phono level controls in both channels are turned up full (as a starting point anyway). These are recessed behind four small holes, with two on either side of the top of the push-button switch cover, and take a medium size jeweler's flat head screwdriver to adjust.

Let us know!

Dave

Thanks Dave.

The level controls are both turned counter clockwise—still nothing :( Should I perhaps get some rubbing alcohol and clean the selector contacts?

As you face the shaft, like any level/volume control, you advance the level with clockwise rotation, while counter clockwise reduces it. Full counter clockwise rotation should result in no signal -- unless the controls are wired backwards.

Dave

Sorry Dave, I meant to say they are both fully turned CLOCKWISE, not counterclockwise wise.

Rubbing alcohol will just polish the Environmental crud that has built up on the switches/contacts. You need to get a can of CAIG "DE-OXIT" DN5 and a can of "FADERLUBE" F-5. The DN5 will soften the crud and with friction will clear it off the contacted area leaving a CLEAN CONTACT. Finish off with the Faderlube to lubricate it as the DN5 washes out a lot of the origina llubricants also. Read this thread.......... http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/ in the General Audio Forum.

Back
Top Bottom