Analog Addict's Altec Mancave System

analog addict

Glory or Death!
Well it's time. I finally have everything to a point where I'm happy, and I can let 'er rip. My wife was complaining tonight when I cranked up the J.S. Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and all the panes of glass in the kitchen cabinets started to shake.

Right main channel:

P1020336.jpg

Simplex W VOTT loaded with two 1953 vintage 515s. These served daily duty in a 750 seat theatre in Scottsbluff NE until 2003 or so. Next up in the stack is a M19, added to stretch the upper and lower end. On top of that is a 1005b tar filled multi cell with a 288b large format driver. On top of that is an array of Frazier horn tweeters crossed over at about 10KHz to add some sparkle.

Right Fill channel: 828 cabinet loaded with a 604-8G

P1020337.jpg

Center: 210 VOTT loaded with a pair of the 515s. 1005b/288b up top.

Subwoofer(s): Stacked JBL 4685s each loaded with a pair of JBL 2225Hs

P1020338.jpg

Left Fill Channel: Identical to the right

P1020339.jpg

Left Main Channel: Identical to the right.

P1020340.jpg

Electronics: (From the top down)

P1020342.jpg

modded VPI HW19 Mk II TT with a Rega RB-250 arm and Denon DL-110.

Applied Research and Technology (ART) 311 Active crossover running the subs only. A gracious gift from Tom Brennan...:thmbsp:

Restored McIntosh MX-110z loaded with Telefunken red tipped ECC83s pulled from medical EEG amplifiers.

Freshly built Dennis Had approved 6SL7/6L6 SE amp good for 5-6 WPC. Currently loaded with 1950's RCA 6SL7s and Tung Sol 5881s and set up to run 16 ohm loads.

Pioneer Elite F-51 Tuner and DV-C36 DVD/CDP

Restored SC ASC-433 amp loaded with GE 7189As running the center channel. Split mono input from the center out of the Mc 110z using one channel for the 1005b and one channel for the 210. Separate discrete crossovers for the 1005b and 210.

Niles SVL-4 speaker selector box with gain control for each speaker set. Running both set of mains (and others if I feel like adding them)

Restored Hafler DH-500 running the subwoofers, mono signal, one channel per box.

There's other stuff that subs in and out, but that's what's running at the moment, and I couldn't be happier...until tomorrow or the day after....:scratch2:....:D

Last edited:
Woof! I've heard a lot of this configuration and it is, indeed, the real meaning of Shock and Awe.

And wait 'till you see/hear what he's got in the wings.....

Cheers,

David

Eh, it's okay for a car stereo... wouldn't want it in the house though... :)

Good Golly. I don't think drywall could stand up to that, it would turn to dust. I'm gonna show this to my girlfriend, who thinks I'm a fanatic with L200b's in the living room. My rig suddenly seems like a boombox.

Pretty nice! Hunt down a recording of Rachmaninov's All-Night Vigil and tell me how it sounds when the basses get down to Bb in the Nunc Dimittis.

That is some stack of altec cabinets!
Regards,
Jim

Holy Smoke!! Now that puts the "M" in Mancave!!!!

Men Rule!! :D :smoke: . . . . Don't tell my wife I said that though. :nono:

Bet it sounds incredible!!! :banana: :guitar: :banana:

Wow, that is some crazy shit right there... Alnico VOTT's in a surround setup... and a pair of subwoofers!

For a second, I thought you might be totally-insane... until you mentioned the size of the room. Hell of a system. Man, that must sound awesome. Theater-sized speakers rock, don't they? I used to love the way movie theaters sounded back in the '70's and early '80's. Arenas and auditoriums too. The speakers they used back then sounded amazing (My W90's were apparently the speaker of choice for the Boston Symphony Orchestra as well as the New York Metropolitan Orchestra, and I can just imagine how a big hall with a bunch of W90's must have sounded, just like that venue that you were talking about... The Bozak Concert Grands were another great speaker that could fill a big hall with sound... Love that stuff).

Back
Top Bottom