Ancient but brilliant Sansui amp

alanl

Have just purchased a Sansui AU217 ll to replace a PM40 Marantz that decided to drop one channel on an intermittent basis. Regardless of paying only $A200 (including interstate freight) for this old amplifier the sound is absolutely wonderful.

Tested it with A Horowitz CD, then an LSO vinyl recording of the Elgar Enigma Variations on a Dual 505 through my circa 1975 Micro Acoustic speakers. Have never been happier with the sound and would not be game to increase the volume setting beyond its current "2"

It seems even better than the Thorens TD60/ NAD amp and Aaron speaker setup in the house - and I thought that was good!.

Old Sansui stuff is hard to beat. Over the years I've had a all kinds of vintage receivers and amps, most of them have moved on, but I'll never let go of my Sansui 881 or 6060.

I had the exact amp for a bit and it really sounded good.Another piece I wish I had back .The older Sansui was my favorite make of that period.

The Dual D-505/Sansui 217 combination with suitable speakers was a fave recommendation of some British reviewers decades ago.

I've had the pleasure of owning or playing just about all of the x17's except for the 217. They are all wonderful and deserving of the respect they garner. I am very unsurprised the humble 217 beat a NAD.

The 217 apparently flies under the radar a bit.

Give it a recap - that will be a new lease of life and can [subject to potential arguments on the topic] improve the sound further.

Reactions: mbz
Back
Top Bottom