Android on Intel architecture, what is this sorcery ??

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Well the answer is, a neat little OS called Remix.

I couldn't think which other forum this would fit in to, so hopefully someone finds this interesting in here.

Using RemixOS, which is free to download and use, you can run a full blown Android environment on your Intel hardware PC or laptop. I have it running on my Surface Pro 3 and on my Acer laptop and it runs great. It's a much better experience than using Android emulation or Bluestacks, that's for sure.

I guess on thing of note for this forum is that RemixOS is very lightweight (due to being Linux based) and so is capable of transforming even a crappy old desktop or laptop into a fully featured media server capable of running Kodi and such like. I'm not sure how it handles digital audio output but I'll be testing that soon when I install Remix on a machine with optical audio out.

It's definitely worth a look if you have older hardware lying around that you want to repurpose. Apparently it runs great on those little Netbooks that were popular a few years back. You get full access to the Play Store too so all the thousands of Android apps can be run right on your device.

Correct me if I'm wrong - and I very well may be - but isn't Android inherently platform agnostic? My limited understanding is that it's always running in what amounts to a sandboxed environment. I owned a Dell tablet that was powered by an Intel Atom processor, which ran Android 4x.

s.

edit - After I wrote this, I Googled the issue to clarify, and more to the point, Android apps operate in a virtual machine. It's my understanding that's what makes Android somewhat portable.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong - and I very well may be - but isn't Android inherently platform agnostic? My limited understanding is that it's always running in what amounts to a sandboxed environment. I owned a Dell tablet that was powered by an Intel Atom processor, which ran Android 4x.

s.

edit - After I wrote this, I Googled the issue to clarify, and more to the point, Android apps operate in a virtual machine. It's my understanding that's what makes Android somewhat portable.

Yep, I think you are pretty much correct with what you say. I'm no Android / Linux guru so from what I understand, its the fact that Android is Linux-based that adds to its portability. Of course the real issue is the absence of all the underlying architecture drivers which are required to get it running on a 'PC' platform - that's where most of the work must have gone.

Discontinued now too.

Well, I don't know about that but I do know that Remix meets my requirement to run several Android native apps on a platform that I already own with full hardware compatibility. There's nothing else that I know of that would do the same job - other than the Android-x86 project that is.

Back
Top Bottom