Another AR XA turntable rebuild, my first and need advice!

vishalk

Hi All

So i finally managed to source this beauty and buy it, please see the pictures:

VoZ6EAc.jpg

82eg3YA.jpg

Xl38Yq7.jpg

LG0Jtsj.jpg

oGHGeZ8.jpg

b9kFK4U.jpg

H6TejOQ.jpg

EdfSDjk.jpg

zZXwfjN.jpg

D8RyXAM.jpg

yuUZEp6.jpg

BX2YOdr.jpg

URuXrJI.jpg

DOtuJ9b.jpg

What do you reckon, looks like its in really good condition, just needs a service and setting up really. I am tempted to pull it all apart and do some modification though.

One thing i am not sure about is the spring systems (are those spring original) as its really bouncy, what i mean is the two springs by the turntable are quite stiff it seems, but the one by the tonearm feels soft and to bouncy, is that normal? Generally it feels too bouncy to me but i again i don't know if thats normal for this turntable.

Any tips would be wonderful, i do have the manual which i am currently reading. Is there any UK builders here? someone you can recommend to help or even perhaps do the refurbishment for me and do some modifications?

My thoughts were a better power supply, new rca connectors, maybe a new tonearm (or just use the original but replace the wiring), heard a great number use hurst motors? anyway ill keep this thread updated!

Thanks all

Vishal

Nice find! I have one that I use regularly. It is bouncy though.

If it works, then I would suggest that before you do any mods, make sure the motor, platter spindle and tone-arm spindle are properly lubricated and just enjoy it for a while.

Thanks Malden, i've been advised that i should consult a gentleman named Marc Morin? So Marc if you are on here let me know and i will PM you!

It looks very nice. I agree with Malden. Put oil in the spindle bearing and in the tonearm well and listen to it. Learn the sound.

Leave off the bottom board and set it on a level surface with a soft absorbent towel or a piece of carpet under it. I set mine on rubber pucks and then added nice rubber feet.

I played mine stock for awhile. Then Marc sent me his upgraded tonearm and the sound quality went way up. Finally I got a new plinth, custom paint, Technics wand, suspension mod, and all the marcmorin mods.

Sounds and looks great! Never gonna sell it

. image5.jpeg

Hi All

What do you reckon, looks like its in really good condition, just needs a service and setting up really. I am tempted to pull it all apart and do some modification though.

One thing i am not sure about is the spring systems (are those spring original) as its really bouncy, what i mean is the two springs by the turntable are quite stiff it seems, but the one by the tonearm feels soft and to bouncy, is that normal? Generally it feels too bouncy to me but i again i don't know if thats normal for this turntable.

Any tips would be wonderful, i do have the manual which i am currently reading. Is there any UK builders here? someone you can recommend to help or even perhaps do the refurbishment for me and do some modifications?

My thoughts were a better power supply, new rca connectors, maybe a new tonearm (or just use the original but replace the wiring), heard a great number use hurst motors? anyway ill keep this thread updated!

Thanks all

Vishal

1st, I hope you have the transport bolt removed for play.
2nd, if the haydon motor runs fine, leave it alone. The Hurst motor is about the only option if you need to replace with new. also, the cap values are different between the two.
3rd,The power supply is the switch cap, and the run cap. you can put new caps on, but betting yours are fine.
4th, the springs are glued on at the Tbar, If they are out of tune, you'll need to break them free so you can turn them in their relative position once you get the system back level. difference in "felt stiffness" of the current springs is do to spring spine (one side is stiffer per spring than the other affecting jounce) This is part of the "black arts" referred to in tuning a Linn suspension.
5th, it takes a lot of money to best the performance of the original arm, once it's been rebuilt properly.

it takes a lot of money to best the performance of the original arm, once it's been rebuilt properly.

I had to set someone on another forum straight after he made a remark about the "crude" AR-XA arm. It may be outwardly simple, but it's not crude!

First welcome to AK, there's a wealth of information on here on just about everything. Second listen to what Marc says he is an absolute master at these tables and will definitely steer you in the right direction. Third head over to the official AR owners thread if you haven't already, there's alot of great info on there and some really great looking tables, good luck and here's mine.

Audiofreak71

IMG_5099.JPG

It looks very nice. I agree with Malden. Put oil in the spindle bearing and in the tonearm well and listen to it. Learn the sound.

Went through the manual and now just searching through forums to learn more about the TT and get some inspiration like your picture above!

Leave off the bottom board and set it on a level surface with a soft absorbent towel or a piece of carpet under it. I set mine on rubber pucks and then added nice rubber feet.

Nice starting point, looking to adapt some form of isolation feet in the future.

I played mine stock for awhile. Then Marc sent me his upgraded tonearm and the sound quality went way up. Finally I got a new plinth, custom paint, Technics wand, suspension mod, and all the marcmorin mods.

oh man i want to polish every bit of metal on my XA.

Sounds and looks great! Never gonna sell it

This one is a keeper.

. View attachment 995480

First welcome to AK, there's a wealth of information on here on just about everything. Second listen to what Marc says he is an absolute master at these tables and will definitely steer you in the right direction. Third head over to the official AR owners thread if you haven't already, there's alot of great info on there and some really great looking tables, good luck and here's mine.

As we speak reading through so much information, such a huge following and i can see why. That's a lovely TT you have, wow.

Audiofreak71

View attachment 995704

That XA appears to be in great shape. Congrats on your new TT and welcome to AK! You are already getting some good advice from folks "in the know" here on the forum. Proper setup and oil in the spindles is the most recommended first step.

Ju3tebJQ8Hv6TC8R2

1st, I hope you have the transport bolt removed for play.

Hi Marc, thank you for your reply very much appreciated. You are "Legend" i have been seeking it seems! Yes removed transport bolt, that was on only for the drive home

2nd, if the haydon motor runs fine, leave it alone. The Hurst motor is about the only option if you need to replace with new. also, the cap values are different between the two.

Might need to do a speed check on the TT, although seems fine.

3rd,The power supply is the switch cap, and the run cap. you can put new caps on, but betting yours are fine.

I could always test the caps, but again i agree they seem fine.

4th, the springs are glued on at the Tbar, If they are out of tune, you'll need to break them free so you can turn them in their relative position once you get the system back level. difference in "felt stiffness" of the current springs is do to spring spine (one side is stiffer per spring than the other affecting jounce) This is part of the "black arts" referred to in tuning a Linn suspension.

Oh dear, how does one know if they are out of tune? So the spine being the T bar with three springs at either end, i can see what you are trying to explain. My guess is the spring by the tone arm is less stiff, feels like it the way it bounces and moves, which worries me? For example i only have to tap it lightly and it wobbles, i tap or push lightly in different areas i can feel the T bar knocking. I placed a a record puck which weighs around 450g on the platter and it just sunk down and hit the bottom?

5th, it takes a lot of money to best the performance of the original arm, once it's been rebuilt properly.

Ok my aim is to keep it stock and fine tune this TT to it's best, ill keep everything as original as i can. The RCA connectors have to go though, they are terrible, ill replace the tonearm wires (don't think they need it but be best to replace it)
I like the polished look, so any metal work such as the platter, tonearm etc i would like to do.

My main worry is the tonearm, as simple as it looks i hear its difficult to get setup right, wonder if thats something i can send you? Just the tonearm? otherwise ill attempt to pull it apart and polish it, which i can do but better to have a someone in the know do it? I

That XA appears to be in great shape. Congrats on your new TT and welcome to AK! You are already getting some good advice from folks "in the know" here on the forum. Proper setup and oil in the spindles is the most recommended first step.

It really is gguillot, i am in two minds actually i bought it to modify it actually. But now thinking just keep it stock, repair what needs doing, set it up, oil it and start playing tunes. But then i see other peoples XA and get inspired.

Ju3tebJQ8Hv6TC8R2

Hi All

VoZ6EAc.jpg

82eg3YA.jpg

Xl38Yq7.jpg

LG0Jtsj.jpg

oGHGeZ8.jpg

b9kFK4U.jpg

H6TejOQ.jpg

EdfSDjk.jpg

zZXwfjN.jpg

D8RyXAM.jpg

yuUZEp6.jpg

BX2YOdr.jpg

URuXrJI.jpg

DOtuJ9b.jpg

Thanks all

Vishal
I was looking more closely at the counter weight in picture 13 and it appears to not have the little screw that holds down the counter weight, if it doesn't you might want to source one because that weight is touchy and will move easily which will throw your VTF off.

Audiofreak71

I was looking more closely at the counter weight in picture 13 and it appears to not have the little screw that holds down the counter weight, if it doesn't you might want to source one because that weight is touchy and will move easily which will throw your VTF off.

Thanks Audiofreak, don't worry i just double checked and there is a screw holding that bad boy in place!

Audiofreak71

Awesome, good to know :thumbsup:

Have fun with it, you can go pretty high with the mods on these as I'm sure you have been seing all the different great Modded ones. If you do decide to go that route or even if it's just a tune up I highly recommend sending it to Marc for a full work up, that way you can have piece of mind and just enjoy your records for years.

Audiofreak71

@vishalk

The Marcmorin arm upgrade can keep the arm stock and improve the internals on the arm pivot.

This is a high impact upgrade. A big jump up in sound quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom