Another Audio Day in Hong Kong...

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by RGA, May 31, 2014.

1. RGA

RGA Super Member

Bigger - argh When I upload from my computer the pics are tiny - but if I open them up from here in a new window and copy location I can make them bigger.

The guy that owned this shop was quite friendly - he had the little Martin Logan boxed speakers playing - really good for the money - also like them when I heard them at the California Audio Show. (err I should say the little speakers sitting on black speakers behind the turntable. Where's Waldo.

[​IMG]

These speakers were quite nice - I liked them more than the Reference 3a Grand Veena or the Devore Gibbon 88. About $5k - the speakers are from the brand Rossofiorintino (Italian) The model is called Certaldo - my HTC Butterfly S phone has difficulty in low or awkward lighting - they are built in the finest Sonus Faber tradition of really nice fit and finish and can be had in leather wraps.

[​IMG]

Another second hand shop - the Focal Diablo on the left had me salivating and if the AN K at the back were just a little bit lower priced I would have walked out of there with them - so so close.

[​IMG]

Acoustic Zen speakers with Cayin (the big silver beast) is part of Cayin's new high end series.

[​IMG]

And of course my dealer in HK (same building) with the new Line Magnetic CD 515 CD player. My big 219IA amp in black rather than silver. To the right on the floor are the big Melody power amps and in front in silver are Melody up scale amps Aoxidin. 211

You can also see the big Riogue Audio monoblocks behind the ATC 100 loudspeakers ($20,000US pair for the speakers) and Rogue Audio in the right shelf.

[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. HiFiOutlaw

HiFiOutlaw Active Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  3. RGA

RGA Super Member

Yes if you don't touch it you won't buy it. But it's irresistible not to touch it.

:no:

4. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

That's where I picked up my LM Mini219IA. When I demo'ed them at his shop, he actually hooked them up to some very large speakers. I think it might have been those beasts that you speak of.

------------------------------------

Thanks for sharing these pics with us. I love looking at pics with rooms full of audio equipment. :banana:

5. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

Is that an Adam speaker in silver?

6. RGA

RGA Super Member

The speaker with the yellow woofer is MBL Sounded quite good too. B&W and Wilson in the front and upper left is the new Linn speakers. I was looking long at the CD Two transport. $9000 is just too much - if it was $6,000 I'd have bought it. Hong Kong Dollars of course!

7. levlhed

levlhed Well-Known Member

I've got a good friend living in HK that will be coming back here shortly before he moves to NZ. He asked if I "need anything from Hong Kong"......ugh

8. Vinyl Vinyl

Vinyl Vinyl New Member

RGA, where are all these places? I just moved to HK and would love to shop around for a new tube amp here!

Cheers

9. hifix

hifix Active Member

I wonder how the guys in HK stage and enjoy their setups... with most of them being in apartments and all.

Please register to disable this ad.

10. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

gotta remember houses or apartments in HK are built with concrete. partially
    to withstand 100+mph typhoons that come each and every year and sometimes
    more than once. it is unlikely you would hear your neighbor's system and if you
    do it's coming from under the doors or from the outside through the windows.

if you're into tubes, female vocals, classical music, vinyl, you cannot beat HK.

for stores check out review33.com - hundreds of stores selling CDs, etc.

Vinyl Vinyl likes this.
  11. hifix

hifix Active Member

One day i'll venture more into the orient. I'd love to see the hifi scene elsewhere.
    Thanks for the heads up with the website.

12. RGA

RGA Super Member

The place to go is

Grancastle Commercial Centre, 2T Sai Yeung Choi Street, Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong

There are several other places around that particular building so keep an eye out. At the Lady market on the side streets there are places that sell CDs, LPs and special non dynamically limited CD and direct to disc masters - these are phenomenal and if more recordings were done this way SACD would never have come to be.

For Audio Note head over to Elephant Holdings in Wanchai - they also carry a complete Einstein System and Roksan. This is the biggest Audio Note retailer in the world.

http://www.elephant.com.hk/products_sub.php?nid=33

If there is a particular brand you are after - just go to their website and find their HK distributor which will have an address and google map so you can locate them.

Vinyl Vinyl likes this.
  13. hifix

hifix Active Member

With some mention of Audio Note, i thought i'd post this. Although not quite in HK...
    While i was passing through Singapore during my travels, i made it a point to visit a few retailers.
    Heres one with some Audio Note gear. The Audio Note speakers were setup in another room.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  14. RGA

RGA Super Member

There are also a few dealers on Pottinger street in central - Avantegarde speakers as pictured above is one such dealer along with Nottingham turntables and I believe YG Acoustics and Kondo (formerly Audio Note Japan).