Another random AU-999 thread....

slimecity

So I plagiarised Kevzep a bit and replaced all the mylar caps in my 999 with nice film ones - mostly WIMA's.

I think it sounds better. Its quite weird - I had always been disappointed with the bass from this unit, but now I can hear kick drum clearly defined. Vocal harmonies sound better too....

Im sure it will only sound even better over time.

P1050040.jpg P1050041.jpg

So I plagiarised Kevzep a bit and replaced all the mylar caps in my 999 with nice film ones - mostly WIMA's.

I think it sounds better. Its quite weird - I had always been disappointed with the bass from this unit, but now I can hear kick drum clearly defined. Vocal harmonies sound better too....

Im sure it will only sound even better over time.

View attachment 1354493 View attachment 1354494

Looks beautiful!

To be fair, I think others popularized WIMA film caps in sansui, so I'm not sure you need to apologize to Kev :p. There are those that dislike WIMA for audio signal path applications but evidence against WIMAs is anecdotal. I think they sound great, but worst-case scenario is they don't sound worse and they don't have electrolyte to dry up and need replacing.

Last edited:
I think they sound great, but worst-case scenario is they don't sound worse and they don't have electrolyte to dry up and need replacing.
Thanks Smurfer.

I used these to replace all the green mylar caps in my sansui. After my modded 555a started sounding better than my 999, I thought it was time to get drastic.

Its still sounding better to me. Definitely better bass. I've only got kev's active current mod to do on it now.

Last edited:
Thanks Smurfer.

I used these to replace all the green mylar caps in my sansui. After my modded 555a started sounding better than my 999, I thought it was time to get drastic.

Its still sounding better to me. Definitely better bass. I've only got kev's active current mod to do on it now.

Well the 555A is no slouch, although a bit of a different beast. When I first got into this game, not that long ago, most of the advice was that the green mylars can stay, but time and time again I've found them to be problematic. In fact in MY AU-999, a green mylar was causing my slightly fuzzy output. The story is here

Back
Top Bottom