Another Raspberry Pi (3B) system

LAN over AC works surprisingly well. I've used it for all my non-critical network devices instead of wifi.
More secure (or easier to do), too.
Good catch. (I also have radiant heat, so, No Drilling Thru Floors.)

As for me, I worked hard to isolate RF from the power line using dedicated circuits, aftermarket cords and power conditioners - not freely distribute it throughout the house!

Another option is use MoCA if you have coax routed into multiple rooms. It is not cheap, but works well in old houses prewired for TV service.

I bought my rpi3 and the hifiberry digi+ soon after they came out and had a tough time as well. If you search my posts you will find details.... but i got rune working great through the digi coaxial out to my maverick tubedac. I made sure i enabled i2s in rune.I serve it with broadband over powerline. Software is foobar on my server, rune on the rpi3 and bubbleup upnp on android tablet or phone to control things. Sounds great with the very ocassional digital pop or crack on certain tracks.

Sounds great with the very ocassional digital pop or crack on certain tracks.

This is NOT how it should work. I use RPi as player too, but have ZERO pop or cracks. In my case DAC is served via USB and Ethernet is connected via real CAT6.

Unless you are trying to get across the split phases in the house - I have played with X10 Home automation in the house
and communicating across the phase split can be a problem ...
Then again, the weather is getting nice and I'll be mostly outdoors soon -
this may be a project for when it starts turning cold again in late fall ...

Go ethernet over power if it's too difficult to run a direct wire. Something like this...(as an example)

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-TPL-401E2K/dp/B004D9V8C8

I use an old Sling TV ethernet over power from my living room to my garage PC for internet connection and it works like a champ.

Another option is use MoCA if you have coax routed into multiple rooms. It is not cheap, but works well in old houses prewired for TV service.
I found running CAT7 upstairs to the listening room from my office below was not a big deal.

Running any cable over to the separate but attached garage, however, would be a chore! Which is why I placed an access point out there. :)

uRendu is basically a Resberry Pi in a fancy box with a embedded Linux system. That is an awful lot of money for that.
It would seem you've never seem them both naked. The uRendu is based upon a different computer, dispenses with all matter of unnecessary stuff and isolates the computer board from the IO section. And includes Swenson's USB regenerator. The same, but very diffferent!

Click here for pics courtesy an inmate over at AA.

Remember, all digital music server/streamers are just PC's in a fancy box.
That's like saying all automobiles are just Toyotas in a fancy box. The execution can be everything. :)

It is still based on a computer and I can build a new Ryzen which does the same for the same price WITH SSD storage.
The objective is NOT having a high powered 65W draw processor requiring a large and comparatively noisy power supply simply to decode and render a FLAC stream. Why on earth would you need - or want that? Unlike the RPi family, the uRendu also supports DSD.

As for me, I want centralized storage far away from the renderers. :)

Rasberry Pi (the newer Pi's have better processors) also can have outboard DAC and input/output boards
If you revisit post #6, you'll see that's the way I run mine with a Music Hall DAC 25.3.

Last edited:
The objective is NOT having a high powered 65W draw processor requiring a large and comparatively noisy power supply simply to decode and render a FLAC stream. Why on earth would you need - or want that? Unlike the RPi family, the uRendu also supports DSD.

As for me, I want centralized storage far away from the renderers. :)

If you revisit post #6, you'll see that's the way I run mine with a Music Hall DAC 25.3.

RPi like any other COMPUTER supports whatever can be processed in software running on it: DSD, DXD, multichannel PCM. It is all matter of what your DAC supports and how good it working with USB source. No one makes you use local storage, you only need SD card with OS and software. All music SHOULD and IS stored somewhere else on home network. When you buy device like this, you only pay for software and support. Hardware cost is negligible. For those who are used to work with computers there are other FREE options available.

RPi like any other COMPUTER supports whatever can be processed in software running on it: DSD, DXD, multichannel PCM. It is all matter of what your DAC supports and how good it working with USB source.
So what RPi application supports DSD playback? I'm using PcP which does not. Apparently, that is not common knowledge so many folks would be interested in your response.

All music SHOULD and IS stored somewhere else on home network.
I'm delighted you agree. Why host a local SSD?

So what RPi application supports DSD playback? I'm using PcP which does not. Apparently, that is not common knowledge so many folks would be interested in your response.

There are several ways to play DSD. Key requirement for DAC to support DoP encapsulation. Then you can either use software that packs DSD stream into DoP on the fly, like Foobar2000 with appropriate plugins or latest versions of LMS. You can also prepackage DSD into DoP container and compress it with Flac. In both cases you RPi player sees PACK stream and sends it to DAC, which does unpacking and decoding. Of cause you should not use software volume control or any other processing to keep datastream intact until it reaches DAC.

In my system I use LMS on server in office with 4TB storage array, along with max2play software running squeezelite client on RPi 3 in my music room. DAC is Teac UD-501. I prepackage all DSD files into DoP Flac files and store them along with regular PCM Flac files. I just select file I want to play using Android tablet, and it starts playing regardless of format.

I was referring to native support as opposed to "over PCM".

DoP is "native". It just uses different format of data stream (mush like DFF and DSF files that contain DSD), but DSD information is 100% the same. I do not think raw DSD over USB is supported anywhere other than on Windows via proprietary ASIO driver. The only advantage of raw DSD is lower bandwidth, but in USB 2.0 capable sustain transfer rate of over 200Mbits/s this is not a real problem.

Not exactly. DoP is a form of "packetizing" the one bit stream into 24/176 PCM words and decodes them back to the native format upon playback.

The difference is when and where conversion happens. USB interface itself adds additional data to whatever it transfers. DSD data is marked with special flag in USB packets. This is done in hardware (or firmware) of USB interface chips. DoP encoding and decoding done at driver level before and after data reaches USB hardware. But ultimately DSD stream at source is transferred bit perfect to destination either way. When I encode DSD files into DoP formatted Flac files, I just do it in advance relieving driver or playback software from doing it in real time. Decoding is still done in DAC with firmware running in DSP.

Back
Top Bottom