Another what I got story

ZebraBlvd

Lunatic Member
Let me start by saying once again, it pays to let people know about your audio addiction. I have been very lucky in the last year with having people come into the shop with gear. Some of it is BPC and some pieces are viewed with "dang, that's a nice (fill in item here)". Long story short this is what walked into the shop yesterday. Looks as though I can add these to my winter project list, which already is starting to fill up.

Marantz 4270 with the SQA-2 Decoder & wired remote

01220006.jpg

Polk Audio RTA-12B's and a pair of Nivico 5340's

01220010.jpg

Nice 4270, wood case too! :drool: I have never seen the wired remote, interesting accessory for sure. Any idea what it does? :scratch2: Those Polks look really nice too. The other speakers, never heard of 'em, but they appear to have potential.

The Polks remind me of Mr. Bill (oh Nooooo!) ;).

Excellent stuff!

I tell my co-workers Im into old stereos and I get some Bradford all-in-one-system.

Sigh.

:)

Matt

Nice 4270, wood case too! :drool: I have never seen the wired remote, interesting accessory for sure. Any idea what it does? :scratch2: Those Polks look really nice too. The other speakers, never heard of 'em, but they appear to have potential.

Taken straight from the remotes handbook:

General Description
The model RC-4 Remote Control is specially designed for Marantz 4-channel audio components. The model RC-4 incorporates a 4-channel balance control to adjust the relative outputs of all four channels simultaneously, and a loudness switch to compensate for the human ear's response to bass and treble frequencies at low volume levels.

01220012.jpg

Those are very good Polk speakers. They made Polk a name. They are late 70 to early 80's.

Those are very good Polk speakers. They made Polk a name. They are late 70 to early 80's.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I really have not even looked into them yet. I was just impressed with the layout of drivers, plus I didn't think I could go too wrong with the Polk name.

How good is that 4270? I know an old man that has one that he hasn't used in decades. I might be able to pick it up cheap.

What should I expect from the Polks, Barney? I ask only from the standpoint of never hearing them before. ANY information on them is greatly appreciated.

Great sounding speakers , low end will thump and the highs are well defined .

The tweeter have a fuse in the cross over . Never needed to replace mine so far .

I was running them with a Pioneer SA-7500II and was happy , now they are mated to my Hitachi HMA 7500 MKII even happier :banana:

BTW I see were are kinda neighbors .....

Barney

Not the original woofers in the JVC (NiViCo) speakers :-(
Otherwise, pretty durn cool stuff.

Yeah, the original owner of these told me that he replaced the original woofers shortly after he bought them. He said (his words) the originals were cheesy looking and didn't give him the bass he wanted, whatever that means.

One of the interesting features of these nivico's is their ability to be tri-amped. I have only listened to them for a very short time, and was a little bit impressed with the sound. They kinda remind me of a pair of Aztec Gauguin III's I had once.

Great sounding speakers , low end will thump and the highs are well defined .

The tweeter have a fuse in the cross over . Never needed to replace mine so far .

I was running them with a Pioneer SA-7500II and was happy , now they are mated to my Hitachi HMA 7500 MKII even happier :banana:

BTW I see were are kinda neighbors .....

Barney

Thanks for the information Barney! With that type of review I think I will move them to the front of the line.

WOW.
Not only did I not know there was a remote for those quads - but the one you found is in the box :banana:. You do realize it might have found its way at the nearest landfill titled "old ellectric crap", right?

Back
Top Bottom