Anthony Bourdain, RIP

finnbow

The Dude Abides
Anthony Bourdain, the chef who became a world-traveling storyteller, has died at age 61, according to CNN.

Bourdain died in France, where he was working on an episode of his CNN show, “Parts Unknown.”

In a statement, CNN said:

“It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain. His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time.”

According to the network, the cause of death was suicide.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ording-to-cnn/

Big bummer. I'm a huge fan of his work and his approach to it. RIP, sir.

He had a lot of demons over the years -
I though he had done brilliantly beating them back with his travel career -
sad to hear he slipped and took his own life. RIP

Well shit. :(

I always liked him and then I read his book about his career in the restaurant industry and I liked him even more. Truly one of the world's most interesting characters, a guy you would have loved to sit and have a beer with, literally anywhere on the planet. I trust he is in a better place now and healed of whatever ailed him.

Cheers, Chef. :beerchug:

Having worked in the restaurant industry for 7 years, both as a cook and a bartender, Anthony fits right in with all the crazies and druggies. I enjoyed his recent "Parts Unknown" show about West Virginia. Of course, I knew he would find someone who still ate squirrel.

Wow what a shock. I really enjoyed his shows. His pithy comments were so on target. It was on one of his shows back in the 1990's were I first spotted Red Boat Fish Sauce which Anthony said was the best in the world. It took another 20 years to get my hands on some, Anthony was right. I will surely miss him.

He had one of my favorite shows of all time. If I was scanning the TV and it was on, I would stop right there. He kinda made me proud of being from NC. He said in a couple shows, that if he could choose his last meal, it would be NC whole hog BBQ.

Once watching him he said one of the funniest things I ever heard him say. As you know him and Zimmern were good friends and did a couple shows together. But once talking a bout pulling a drunk he stated, I was more ****ed up than Zimmerns toilet.

I will miss him a Hell of a lot.

I loved how he talked with regular people on the Parts Unknown show. There was a scene at the South Pole camp where he was sitting having lunch with half a dozen scientists talking about their work and their lives and science. As a scientist it was just so cool to see that. You could tell he was well educated about the places he went and knew a lot about the world. I bet he was tenacious about studying those places before he went - the people, politics and geography as much as the food.

Bourdain was unique. He was sort of a sarcastic Keith Floyd. Keith was equally cutting but in a laid back English way. Bourdain like Kieth Floyd before him put regional cuisines on the map. I looked upon Bourdain as a food warrior.

I thought I misread the news headline this morning. Obviously a shocking news.
I'll surely miss him and his shows. He was certainly different - one example, he was actually drunk in 1/2 the shows he filmed.

My deepest sympathy. I know this first hand, my brother committed suicide right before my eyes 3 years ago. Hanging, jumped off the balcony and dropped 3 stories.

Drugs and alcohol were his demon.

I thought I misread the news headline this morning. Obviously a shocking news.
I'll surely miss him and his shows. He was certainly different - one example, he was actually drunk in 1/2 the shows he filmed.
Chronic alcohol abuse is one of the prime causes of suicide. What we witnessed at the VA that such suicides happened +/- 60 years of age.

I am going to miss his shows, his cutting wit and his ability to translate differing cultural tastes into something you could understand.

RIP

Back
Top Bottom