Antique Sound Lab Passive TX-1 DT - got one?

dcmfan

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
This one:

passiveti.jpg
http://www.divertech.com/aslpassiveti.html

I have a chance to pick one up at a good price, and information online is limited, but positive.

Users here who had one seem to have moved away from AK, and I'd be interested in any experience people can share. If you've used one are there any quirks/cautions specific to this model I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Nobody?

Alright, then, I'll be the guinea pig!

One thing's certain- with dual mono attenuators the wife will hate it. I'm prepared for a week of "Why is this speaker louder than that one?"

Wish me luck! Should have one in my hands in about a week!

Specs and comments:

"Autoformer/Switch based voltage divider, passive audio control device"
Since the unit uses autoformers, there are no issues with impedance matching that often plague passive preamps. I'm told that this unit can work with longer interconnects, but I don't have that need. I'm using 3 foot component video cables.

For what it is the unit has some heft to it and the case, connectors and controls look and feel solid and well constructed.

Frequency Response:
18Hz to 100 kHz, -1 dB
10Hz to 500 kHz, -3 dB

Attenuation:
2dB per step
In other places I've seen a reference to 4dB steps and was concerned that this might not be sensitive enough to find a good listening level. That's NOT been an issue. Whether 4dB or 2dB, I've had no problem finding a good level for all sources.

Also, the left and right channel are adjusted separately. Since most of my source components also have output controls it was easy to adjust everything so that the volume knobs on the T1-X don't need a lot of adjustment as I change from source to source. The knobs are aluminum and feel substantial. I wish they had index markings down the side to make it a little easier to confirm that both are set at the same level, but I'm getting used to them the more I work with the preamp.

Even my cassette deck which lists its output at .5 volts plays well through this unit. There's no need for me to add any extra gain in a pre-amp for my components.

Total Attenuation: - 48dB

Dimensions:
10" wide, 6" deep (including control knobs and connectors), 3" high.

Weight: 6 lbs

Inputs:
Four RCA inputs plus one "Direct" input.
They are labeled "CD", "MD", "Tuner" and "AUX"
A toggle switch on the face bypasses the selector and takes the feed from the "Direct" input.
The direct input bypasses the volume controls on the preamp.

Outputs:
Two RCA outputs plus "Tape Out"

The knobs are aluminum and feel substantial. I wish they had index markings down the side to make it a little easier to confirm that both are set at the same level
I borrowed some of my wife's silver nail polish and made a dot on each knob that is visible in dim light. ;)

Back
Top Bottom