Any advantage to using DIN inputs on receiver?

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by LesB3, Dec 27, 2017.

1. LesB3

LesB3 Member

Right now I have BJC LC-1's jammed into the (too) close RCA inputs of a Tandberg receiver. Was wondering if, other than eliminating the stress on my jammed-up RCA inputs, there were any technical advantages to using the DIN's instead. I see many DIN to RCA cables on Amazon, and Chord makes several expensive models as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K4DLZL6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1OZBA7WF155LP&colid=24KD8CQNH9MM&psc=0

https://www.chord.co.uk/product-category/connections/interconnects/analogue-din/

Thoughts? Any relevant experience?

I may dig through my box of old Commodore stuff and fish out a DIN to RCA cable in there; if pins line up, will see how that works...

Please register to disable this ad.

2. LesB3

LesB3 Member

3. tom3

tom3 Super Member

Handy connections, standardized pin outs, and pretty close to standard specs, but there are some slight differences. Try it out.

4. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

The DIN specifications are not the same as the RCA jack specs. I don't think that means it will not work, but it will be a bit different, especially if going from a DIN to RCA instead of DIN to DIN. You might notice a difference in volume levels/recording levels heard or needed.

HFE has the Tandberg pin outs in the TR-2075 manual and maybe some others. https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/tandberg/tr-2075.shtml Specs are there, too.

5. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

They published the DIN pinout diagrams in the specs page for most Tandberg manuals of that era (check the back cover or page near the end), and it's the usual arrangement. Keith is right, the levels can vary from the RCA levels.

John

6. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

I've no idea about SQ, but DINs don't produce that horrific noise if the RCA center-pin makes contact first.

7. LesB3

LesB3 Member

8. jdurbin1

Which jack? What source are you running via that connection?

I was thinking of the DIN jacks on their tape decks, which were sometimes matched for level to the DIN spec so they would match a corresponding spec receiver, which didn't always match the RCA levels.

John

9. LesB3

LesB3 Member

Please register to disable this ad.

10. LesB3

LesB3 Member

Did a quick test with the DIN to RCA cable on TAPE 1 and a run-of-the-mill CD changer from the 90's (Sony CDP-C245) and there's none of the issues with this cable that are noted with the PHONO input in the other thread (above). Input sensitivity was set at the lowest setting, adjustable on the TAPE jacks from 150mV to 600mV. Input impedance on this jack is lower than the PHONO jack (25k vs. 47k).

Crystal clear!
    For sure, this cable is much better for this sort of application. Now I guess I have to find a wood-panelled CD player that matches the rest of them!

11. jdurbin1

You may need to commission some custom cabinet work to pull that off, but good luck with the search :)

That said, an early silver deck with rosewood cheeks would be nice as a match to the 2055.

John

12. LesB3

LesB3 Member

There's a Denon 1800 for sale near me...
    [​IMG]

...might be the one!

13. jdurbin1

Yeah, saw a Kyocera that would look good too other than the finish on the metal is more on the gray side of silver.

John