Any Anthem Owners?

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by Duane, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

Looking for anyone who owns Anthem Audio units that would care to comment on the sound signature and reliability. Any bugs that have been problems. I might want to try their bottom of the line receiver, the MRX 520. Since I have no intent of going with more speakers, basic 5.1/5.2 is perfect. I have a 200w per channel 5 channel amp, so I would be using this as a preamp/proc.

Thanks

2. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I have an older unit, AVM 20 v2.

Sound is clean and clear/neutral. If looking for "tone" probably have to find that in a different brand...although my direct experience is only with that pre/pro, not their amps.

I have since changed pre/pro to Marantz because I wanted HDMI and room correction. Anthem units of the time with those features were quite a bit more $ than I wanted to spend at the time (although the AVM 20 was not inexpensive itself) and found a killer deal on the Marantz AV7005.

I never had a failure of any sort (still have unit, still works). Build quality was excellent and they were always responsive to questions, and provided timely firmware updates including feature additions via firmware updates.

3. Duane

Thanks.

4. Vandam

Vandam New Member

I have the mid-level receiver from a year or two back, the MRX510. It is pulling double duty as a 5.1 decoder in my HT and also as a preamp into a Naim amplifier for 2 channel listening. It does an excellent job at both.

5. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

I own an AVM20 and PVA7, I'm currently using them in a 2 channel setup. Only issue I've ever had was I bricked the AVM20 trying to update firmware with the wrong cable. Customer service walked me through fixing it with the right cable.

6. Duane

Thanks.

The MRX520 is the successor to the MRX510 and they look pretty much the same. One of the things that is somewhat bothersome, is input selection. I'm used to selecting an input directly. It appears that with the Anthem, you have to scroll through each input sequentially to select the one you want or if you have the display on, you can hit the INPUT button and then scroll up or down for the specific input. I gather that during the setup procedure, you pick only the inputs you want, skipping the others. Since I have a Harmony remote, I loaded the MRX520 info to it to see what is available for the remote capabilities. It does show that you can select inputs 1-27 directly without having to scroll. Does the input selection start with the HDMI inputs, then onto the digitals and finally the analog inputs on youR MRX510?

7. bsandovalb

bsandovalb AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have an avm40 that has been in daily use with a mca30..... never an issue, sounds great.... for movies i use my oppo bdp105 pre outs directly to the prepro to take advantage of the blu ray codecs.... for tv, run coaxial/hdmi and anthem does the decoding.... has many features and settings.... very customizable....

The amp is bullet proof..., had an anthem a5 on my dadicades home theater which was awasome.... never an issue.... sold it just because it did not see much use, and replaced with a totl receiver of the time (onkyo tx nr-5010), but the anthem was obviously superior....

A friend of mine uses an mrx-720 I believe and he is quite happy.....

i would not hesitate if the intended use is movies/multichannel music.... for stereo.... a dedicated stereo/amp is more muiscal to my ears....

8. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

Not a big deal, but might matter to some. Anthem's AVR aren't made in Canada anymore. I believe only their separates still are.