Any benefit of volume control on the DAC?

drabina

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am looking to get a new DAC for my system to replace cheap FIIO DAC that I currently have. Nothing wrong with the FIIO but I have been hit with an upgrade bug. Anyway, the DAC is pulling files from the NAS via Raspberry Pi and converting them into Yamaha A-S2100 amplifier. The amp has a built in pre, phono and headphone amp. I have seen that most of the DACs have volume control and can be used as a headphone amps. Is there a benefit of using DAC as the headphone amp vs feeding signal into the Yamaha and using the big amp to plug the headphones in? I just do not like doubling the volume controls if not needed.

You may find that the headphone amp in your Yamaha isn't as up to the task as a stand alone HP amp would be. Some are, some are not depending on its design, output impedance, headphone rated impedance.
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html
As for a DAC in a home stereo system I would not require or want a DAC with a volume knob. That is for my pre amp to do.. But someone will no doubt come along and rebut that!

Mine has a headphone out and a separate volume control. Since I use my pre-amp to control volume for the entire system, I just set the DAC volume up to 100% and leave it there.

Point of order. It's not a volume knob unless there's an amp buit in - it's a line level control.

Handy to be able to match the signal at every piece of equipment in the chain for the best results. Bumping the line in up a bit from the pre-amp and trimming the line out a couple steps really makes the system sing here.

mavericks_stacked.jpg

My Maverick D1 had a bypass (direct) knob that took the line level control completely out of circuit - the D1+ makes you swap a couple internal jumpers to get the same results. In either case, on the Mavericks anyway, it also controls the built in headphone amp, so I guess it IS a volume control ... sort of. ;-}

On the Maverick D1 Plus its a volume control for headphone use. Going to the receiver via RCA outputs I imagine a line level adjustment.

Ooooooo kay - so you're saying that if I turn the control counter clockwise, and the system volume goes down, it's all in my head?

Good to know. <G>

If it works that way on yours, maybe somebody was already in there playing with the bypass jumpers?

d1_volume_control.jpg

I have 3 headphone DAC/Amps. Aune T1, Schitt Fulla and a Teac HA-P50. My Yamaha R-700 receiver's headphone jack sounds as good or better IMO than all 3. I have the Aune set up for listening in the evenings and almost always use the Yamaha.

I've always shied away from DACs with volume controls - unless you absolutely know where the volume control is implemented.
If it's in the analog domain, fine. If it's in the digital domain, it can be a problem. The simplest form of a digital volume control is to lower the resolution and with it the amplitude. I think you can see where that's not a good thing.

I'd listen to the Yamaha's headphone jack for a bit before committing serious money to a DAC/headphone amp combo. I took a look at the manual and the block diagram indicates there is a headphone amp using the preamp out as its source, and the brochure says

"The headphone amp is also equipped with fully discrete configuration for preeminent drivability and damping properties. Included, as well, is a specialized level trimmer that responds to various load impedances." I don't know how that's implemented, but if it's done well it may be very good.

Definitely read the nwavguy blog - it'll help you understand what to listen for in terms of the most common issues of mismatch between amp and headphones.

Thanks for the replies. I have mentioned that I do not need a headphone amp in the DAC because I have a dedicated headphone station and Yamaha is used for speakers only.

Several of the newer DAC's have volume control and can be used without a preamp, directly into your amp. Some of them have HP amps, some not. This is commonly the setup with MYTEC, BENCHMARK, PSAUDIO, MUSICAL PARADISE, even the $399 Pro-Ject Pre Box s2.

I got one of those nifty 2 input switching boxes from that potty-mouth company which comes with a volume control. I use it to switch between my two DACs, which have different output voltage. But since the thing has 2 stereo RCA inputs, you could use any line level source. It's completely passive but seems to be well-built & simply designed.

Back
Top Bottom