Any cartridges that fly under the radar

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
Subscriber
I was curious if anyone had a cartridge and needle that they have used that might be a good deal. You know one that will stand with the higher priced ones that will not cost you a ton. What is good out there for under 200 bucks. Maybe there are none I was just curious.

Yeah sure, Ortofon FF15XE Mk-II and Ortofon VMS20E. The VMS is on the higher end but the FF15 is no slouch either. There's plenty of (OEM/replacement) styli around and you can get a good deal in online auctions. These will mop the floor with some of the popular pathetic new carts that surface around here all the time. The only problem is I've been chattering about it before (a lot) so it's kinda not really under-the-radar.

I remember a recent thread where a Shure M44 compared very well in the reviewer's opinion to some more expensive carts (AT440MLb was one I believe, I don't remember the other one. I'll still probably get a 440 at some point to set up a quad table)

I was curious if anyone had a cartridge and needle that they have used that might be a good deal. You know one that will stand with the higher priced ones that will not cost you a ton. What is good out there for under 200 bucks. Maybe there are none I was just curious.

Recently discontinued - Audio Technica AT 440 MLb
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...1510877344&sr=8-1&keywords=at440mlb+cartridge

Vintage Shure M91xx cartridge with after market HE stylus.
https://lptunes.com/products/hyperelliptical-replacement-for-shure-n-91ed-n91ed-stylus :music:

A Shure M97HE will get you most of the way to a V15 Type IV at a fraction of the price.

Cheaper still, a Realistic RXT-4 is a rebranded M97ED (which has a nude elliptical instead of the Hyperelliptical of the HE and Type IV)

These are circa late ‘70s / very early ‘80s but still readily available on eBay in that budget.

Check out Needlestein's threads on early stereo cartridges - frequency response may not be perfectly linear, but boy, the dynamics are surprising.

I'd say the AT10/11/12 + one of the upgraded styli from Jico or LPGear would be pretty killer for the price. The cartridge bodies are practically free on eBay, I've gotten 3 or 4 now for ~$15.

Yeah sure, Ortofon FF15XE Mk-II and Ortofon VMS20E. The VMS is on the higher end but the FF15 is no slouch either. There's plenty of (OEM/replacement) styli around and you can get a good deal in online auctions. These will mop the floor with some of the popular pathetic new carts that surface around here all the time. The only problem is I've been chattering about it before (a lot) so it's kinda not really under-the-radar.

I have a VMS10E mk II and an OM 10. Both are in backup and rarely used. Which would you upgrade to a 20 stylus?

It doesn't necessarily 'fly under the radar' and you need to have equipment that will support it, but the Denon DL-103 is always a great option.

Just last week I bought a 1984 Joseph Grado Signature 8M for around $50 shipped on eBay. I'm gonna spend another $150 on a new 8MZ stylus, and for $200 total I'll end up with a cartridge that is comparable with new carts in the $500-$800 range.

I now own a Signature 8M, 8MR, and MCZ. Those old Grado Signature carts are very special and are criminally undervalued.

s-l1600.jpg

It doesn't necessarily 'fly under the radar' and you need to have equipment that will support it, but the Denon DL-103 is always a great option.

Totally agree. It's wonderrful but absolutely needs the right supporting cast to deliver the goods.

I use mine on a Jelco SA-750D with additional weight/mass on the headshell and counterweight.

Nagaoka is definitely under the radar. I was going to say they're not under $200, but in fact they do have one model in that price range, the MP-110. It's $124.17 on the LP Gear web site.

They are really very nice cartridges for the money.

Back
Top Bottom