Any chance this receiver can drive these speakers?

Ross6860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Speakers : Front - Infinity RSIIIa, Rear - Infinity RS5b, center - currently a JBL Studio Series/S-Series, sub - (doesn't matter, separate amp)

Receiver: Onkyo TX NR646

I know, try it and see...I will.
Just asking for opinions before I move a bunch of speakers around. Just some general BS, nothing serious.

The receiver has run everything from Klipsch Chorus II's to AR3a's in stereo, and sound just fine. The Klipsch and KLH 5's sound nice as surround mains. I know there's a lot more to multi-channel amps.

All channels simultaneously driven at what power, and does that question even matter?
Speaker Impedance - 6 ohms to 16 ohms (does that mean 6 ohms per speaker [1.2 ohms])

Amplifier Section
Power Output
All Channels 170 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1 Channel Driven, FTC);
100 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC)
Dynamic Power 240 W (3 Ohms, Front)
210 W (4 Ohms, Front)
120 W (8 Ohms, Front)
THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise) 0.08% (20 Hz-20 kHz, Half power)
Damping Factor 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 Ohms)
Input Sensitivity and Impedance 200 mV/47 k-ohms (Line)
3.5 mV/47 k-ohms (Phono MM)
Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance 100 mV/2.2 k-ohms (Zone 2 Line Out)
200 mV/470 Ohms (Subwoofer Pre Out)
Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance 1.0 V/2.2 k-ohms (Zone 2 Line Out)
2.0 V/470 Ohms (Subwoofer Pre Out)
Phono Overload 70 mV (MM, 1 kHz, 0.5%)
Frequency Response 10 Hz-100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct Mode)
Tone Control ±10 dB, 20 Hz (Bass)
±10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 100 dB (Line, IHF-A)
80 dB (Phono MM, IHF-A)
Speaker Impedance 6 Ohms–16 Ohms

I bet it will go into protection mode, those Onkyo have a mediocre power supply my friend... and they love to get hot, I had a pile of several multi channel onkyos and denon to play around and recycle some parts.
I don't know how sensitive are those speakers, but as far as I know the Onkyos don't work very well with 4Ω speakers.

Being it's general playing around BS that were upping the ante to haha...it really would seem like it doesn't matter but because your speakers are not Thrusters by Panasonic or Fisher DS825's I'd rethink. If your going to run those fairly decent quality speakers,...then I wouldn't push it too far, and I only say that because of distortion.

Not sure if you know that distortion at certain % depending,...can and will ruin drivers. If you had 50rms into 2 channels with 0.01% THD; then those total 40-50 watts of CLEAN watts or power wouldnt hurt the drivers rated at 50.

Otherwise your low impedance on top of higher THD will just be a cascade effect. My SA9500 will have 0.01% THD @8ohms but 0.05% THD @4ohms...

If your going to do this for BS sakes then make sure you do it with speakers you want a reason to take apart, run it only to a certain volume (don't do this while beers have been ingested), or get an amp that has a good reputation for supporting low impedance and then do it up.

Let us know how it goes either which way..

And all channels driven is saying that each 6 channels will have their own 170WPC. That mind you equates to ~1000watts simultaneously.

It's basically hogwash from manufactures to peak the interest into these new lightweight amps....they are few and far between with the receivers that can run anywhere near their rated published power rating.

That being said, just remember if it weighs a ton and don't ever want to move it around cause it's heavy....it just might deliver some beef.

I guess I'll need to invest in a better HT system at some point.

And all channels driven is saying that each 6 channels will have their own 170WPC. That mind you equates to ~1000watts simultaneously.

It's basically hogwash from manufactures to peak the interest into these new lightweight amps....they are few and far between with the receivers that can run anywhere near their rated published power rating.

That being said, just remember if it weighs a ton and don't ever want to move it around cause it's heavy....it just might deliver some beef.

ONE channel driven at 170 watts
TWO at 100 watts each

I doubt both.

The UREI amps weigh 40-some pounds each, and I don't like moving them;)

All I was saying was that the new ratings imply if you ran all available channels at once then they'd all have their own 170wpc....hence WATTS PER CHANNEL....Sneaky scabs they are.

The all channels in the specs just rate that 2 channels will be .09%thd at 6ohms while 1 channel will be less at .08%thd at 8ohms.

If you have speakers that are steady at 6ohms or have a pair that like to have ohm dips from drawing lots of current then your ohms from a rated 8ohm speaker can drop to 6 ohms. If you speakers are good with staying around their rated 6ohms then your receiver would run 170watts...but if they are steady at 8ohms then you'd have 100watts at .08%

I'm trying to be thorough but i may just be explaining the variables in detail to much.

Also the A speaker is one channel and the B speaker select is one channel. Then there's the A+B select that will be 2 "both" channels driven the specs are speaking of.

I'm worried enough I just switched back to my KLH 5 mains in the HT setup.

They're still really nice vintage speakers, but they are 8 ohms and very well behaved. I would hate to burn up a pair of EMIT tweeters in the Infinity's just experimenting. It's Friday and beer may be involved;)

I also use my Klipsch Chorus II as mains. Also extremely easy to drive and very well behaved. I should probably stick with these since there's no room for them anywhere else in the house.

I'll keep the vintage Infinity and AR speakers on the heavy iron.

Y'all enjoy the weekend and the music.

Haha good man...I'm surprised my 27 yr old logic actually got through :rflmao:

Beer and volume knobs have many outcomes depending on many variables haha

:music:

Back
Top Bottom