Any Coincident Dynamo mkii owners? Need suggestions...

Meowsley

So after much deliberation/saving, I have decided to purchase the extrodinarily well-reviewed Dynamo mkii! I was emailed by Israel Blume and he said the output tubes were EL 34 only...I was hoping to roll-in my Gold Lion KT77s, which would imagine would be an upgrade over the stock 34s they come with. Anyone done this? I know I should listen to the head honcho, but that supposed me. Any other tube suggestions? The MKii will be driving Forte iis... Thanks!

I'm using a set of KT-77's in my ST-70. So far my favorite. I did like them over a set of EL34's I tried.

The EL34 and KT77 are essentially the same tube. True, the KT series of tubes are meant to be "kinkless tetrodes", but they should work in the same applications as EL34 pentodes. The 6CA7 tube (also a tetrode) should work fine as well.
-Adam

The KT77 is a good choice as they were designed for Ultralinear use like in your MK II. I use them (JJ's) in my ST-70 with very good results.

+1 for the JJ KT-77's. They sound darn good and the price is hard to beat.
How would you descibe the JJ's in comparison to the EL34? I'm using Shuaguang EL34's and like them but I'm itching to try an affordable roll.

The few I've tried sounded thinner and layed back. The JJ's sound very balanced from top to bottom to me. The EL34's I've heard were a set of Dynaco branded tubes and I don't remember the other brand. I do want to try a set of EH 6CA7's though. People seem to like them. The bottom end with the JJ's sounded more controlled also. Not mushy or flabby sounding.

The few I've tried sounded thinner and layed back. The JJ's sound very balanced from top to bottom to me. The EL34's I've heard were a set of Dynaco branded tubes and I don't remember the other brand. I do want to try a set of EH 6CA7's though. People seem to like them. The bottom end with the JJ's sounded more controlled also. Not mushy or flabby sounding.
That EH 6CA7 is also on my radar, the EL34 bass typically needs help.

Definitely try the EH 6CA7. They control bass remarkably well, and are my favorite new-production EL34-equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom