Any experience with Class D amps and impressions?

unfortunately, I never did a direct A/B comparison, when I used the lepai, I was also using the autoformer russound speaker switcher, it had to have some impact on the sound.
That being said, my rens are sounding absolutely fabulous driven by the carver.

I also removed a source of ambient noise, an air filter unit, so it's even more unfair of a comparison.

I can say that A/B'ing my Magnepan 2.5R or 1.6 QR using a lepai and another carver pm 350, the lepai sounds just as good as the carver until it(lepai) runs out of steam in another room.

Sounds to me like you enjoy "torturing" that Lepai - in a good way of course! I actually have 2 now and am going to use them on various speakers that don't have such a "critical" listening factor. Will be interesting. And, with the Bluetooth built in my wife will have a heyday on the deck with it.

Thinking of ordering FX Audio TPA3250...will prob do so next month - so evaluation some time after that? :)

I've had 3 class D amps over the past several years - Channel Islands Audio D200, Bel Canto REF300M, and Wyred 4 Sound mAmps. I preferred all of them to the Bryston amp I'd previously been using, and I found each progressively better than the one before (in the order listed - the mAmps are still in one system here). But the Benchmark AHB2 sounds better to me than any of them.

I just purchased a Marantz PM-10 integrated amp. Uses Class D technology. I find it to be very similar to my Marantz MA9S2/SC7S2 in sound. Have not had much more than 45 minutes with it(with JBL 4365 speakers) but I really think I am going to enjoy it.

Some light reading indicated the Marantz PM-10 uses Hypex Ncore. Whether that's the case I can't personally verify.

Awesome! More great intel. Still, seems to confirm my building consensus of the proper utilization of class D amps in their current development. Sound like a friggin' politician now. Thinking now using them for all my center and surround speakers and possibly sticking with tubes for the 2 front mains. That would really help my footprint. And no, I'm not talking about environmental footprint, but, space in my room.

Rick - we need to talk. We are close and it still is skiing season and I love me some Monarch!

Sounds good to me! We'll catch up at some time and I can demo...

Have Rogue Sphinx V1, which is 100 wpc @8 ohms, 200 wpc@4 ohms. Like its sound and build quality. It has no tone controls. Use NOS Mullard tubes in its pre. Otherwise Hypex Class D, I believe.

Have Rogue Sphinx V1, which is 100 wpc @8 ohms, 200 wpc@4 ohms. Like its sound and build quality. It has no tone controls. Use NOS Mullard tubes in its pre. Otherwise Hypex Class D, I believe.

I have been curious about the Sphinx ever since I bought my Cronus Magnum. Really curious to know how to amps with the same output wattage, one being solid state (Hypex modules) and the other being tubes would sound when compared to one another.

I have been curious about the Sphinx ever since I bought my Cronus Magnum. Really curious to know how to amps with the same output wattage, one being solid state (Hypex modules) and the other being tubes would sound when compared to one another.

My Sphinx V1 vs Magnum V1 take:
I've had my Sphinx V1 for 3 years. Driven all my speakers with it. Including double Advent setup (4 ohm load). It does not heatup, which could make it last longer, IMO. I think the phono works well with my MM carts. Grado M+, Shure M91 w/vivid microline, AT440mla. The V2 version is claimed to have improved phono. I have NOS Mullard 12au7 tubes in its pre.
Sphinx has a stand by mode which is kept on. Headphone amp is useable in standby. . Pressing in power button warms tubes for 20 seconds before powering on. V1 remote is quality heavy aluminum with only volume buttons. V2 remote is cheaper plastic but adds mute button.
My Cronus Magnum V1 is new to me, just a couple months. It also came with NOS Mullard 12au7 tube in its single pre position. It was bought special w/o phono pre by previous original owner. It is three years old. I just bought an Emotiva xps-1 phono for it. So comparing TT uuse between would not be accurate.
I have two sets of ADS L880 speakers series 1 and 2. Guess I could have ABed them with CD inputs from my better players, but have not yet.
But have alternated the ADS and NLA's in same room. I think the Magnum is slightly smoother or more refined over Sphinx. I've read AKer talk about tube sound. Some AKers criticize it for not giving them the tube sound they are after. There are AK threads about tube rolling Magnums. I think both these amps are neutral sounding as I have them. Not toward the surupy sound of vintage radio consoles I've heard. Not heard MAC or other high end tube amps new or vintage. These are my first hybrid and tube amps. I like both of them. Sphinx has less future tube costs. With it I don't stress on hours on its tubes. Magnum I make sure I'm listening when its on, given few hundred dollars for full tube compliment depending on small tubes chosen. The large KT120's are around $50/60 each.

Last edited:
I've always been a proponent of Class D. Rowland here and there was someone else, (don't remember his username,) that really liked his Bel Cantos (Cubdog perhaps?)
Yes that would be me. I love my Bel Canto mono blocks. I'm also a fan of most all of the various smaller chip type amps now available. I've had and heard some pretty good amps and as far as I'm concerned my class Ds come close and sometimes exceed far larger and more expensive amps.

My Sphinx V1 vs Magnum V1 take:
I've had my Sphinx V1 for 3 years. Driven all my speakers with it. Including double Advent setup (4 ohm load). It does not heatup, which could make it last longer, IMO. I think the phono works well with my MM carts. Grado M+, Shure M91 w/vivid microline, AT440mla. The V2 version is claimed to have improved phono. I have NOS Mullard 12au7 tubes in its pre.
Sphinx has a stand by mode which is kept on. Headphone amp is useable in standby. . Pressing in power button warms tubes for 20 seconds before powering on. V1 remote is quality heavy aluminum with only volume buttons. V2 remote is cheaper plastic but adds mute button.
My Cronus Magnum V1 is new to me, just a couple months. It also came with NOS Mullard 12au7 tube in its single pre position. It was bought special w/o phono pre by previous original owner. It is three years old. I just bought an Emotiva xps-1 phono for it. So comparing TT uuse between would not be accurate.
I have two sets of ADS L880 speakers series 1 and 2. Guess I could have ABed them with CD inputs from my better players, but have not yet.
But have alternated the ADS and NLA's in same room. I think the Magnum is slightly smoother or more refined over Sphinx. I've read AKer talk about tube sound. Some AKers criticize it for not giving them the tube sound they are after. There are AK threads about tube rolling Magnums. I think both these amps are neutral sounding as I have them. Not toward the surupy sound of vintage radio consoles I've heard. Not heard MAC or other high end tube amps new or vintage. These are my first hybrid and tube amps. I like both of them. Sphinx has less future tube costs. With it I don't stress on hours on its tubes. Magnum I make sure I'm listening when its on, given few hundred dollars for full tube compliment depending on small tubes chosen. The large KT120's are around $50/60 each.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with both amps. I've tried some tube rolling with the preamp tube and the others as well. Currently have a PSVane tube in the preamp spot. I have heard that the KT120's can have a major affect on the sound as well - I've considered replacing the stock Tung Sol's with some other options (not many out there), but that is an expensive proposition.
I wouldn't worry about tube life too much with the Magnum - I have mine on quite often and have seen little degradation that would cause any significant bias adjustments to compensate.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with both amps. I've tried some tube rolling with the preamp tube and the others as well. Currently have a PSVane tube in the preamp spot. I have heard that the KT120's can have a major affect on the sound as well - I've considered replacing the stock Tung Sol's with some other options (not many out there), but that is an expensive proposition.
I wouldn't worry about tube life too much with the Magnum - I have mine on quite often and have seen little degradation that would cause any significant bias adjustments to compensate.

In the Tube Audio thread, I have read about a book titled "How to Get the Most Out of Tubes" by Robert Tomer. May get a digital copy.
I keep in mind when listening to Sphinx, its IMO reasonable cost for its quality feel, power and sound. No electrical tech here. It seems to have a heavy transformer for a class D amp.

I wonder if anyone is using a class D amp with large current hungry speakers?
I would like to hear the opinions of owners of the B&W Nautilus 801, Kef 105, any of the IMF T-lines, Wilson Watt Puppies etc.

Back
Top Bottom