Any experience with Class D amps and impressions?

Find me one where I can use an AM/Shortwave radio or tuner nearby and I'm sold.
A combination of the FX amp and the 24V 6A brick I mentioned, with some additional ferrite RF traps on the speaker leads and ps output has proved quieter than other amp and ps bricks with the traps. I can't say how effective the additional traps are, it was just procedure to add them.

Have Rogue Sphinx V1, which is 100 wpc @8 ohms, 200 wpc@4 ohms. Like its sound and build quality. It has no tone controls. Use NOS Mullard tubes in its pre. Otherwise Hypex Class D, I believe.

I'm really interested in Rogue's hybrid products. Especially, the Hydra and Medusa, stereo amps. One hundred and 200 watts per channel, respectively. Should push full range speakers very well. It makes me wish that PS Audio would have continued producing hybrid amps, with their new Class D amps too. You'd think they would have, since they have their reference BHK hybrid amps. Maybe that would have been too close for comfort?

I'm really interested in Rogue's hybrid products. Especially, the Hydra and Medusa, stereo amps. One hundred and 200 watts per channel, respectively. Should push full range speakers very well. It makes me wish that PS Audio would have continued producing hybrid amps, with their new Class D amps too. You'd think they would have, since they have their reference BHK hybrid amps. Maybe that would have been too close for comfort?

I lightly reviewed the Hydra and Medusa specs. They are tube pre conbined with class D power stereo amps without phono pre and no line input selector switch? So how is it used? Just short of an integrated amp.
Hydra is same power rating as Sphinx but nine lbs heavier and XLR inputs added. Assume other upgrades, too.

Last edited:
I lightly reviewed the Hydra and Medusa specs. They are tube pre with class D power stereo amps without phono pre and no line input selector switch? So how is it used?
Hydra is same power rating as Sphinx but nine lbs heavier and XLR inputs added. Assume other upgrades, too.

The Hydra and Medusa are separate, stand alone power amps. Not integrated amps. They have tube input driver boards, with Class D output boards. I believe Rogue even bypasses some of the input circuitry of the Class D amp modules, so the Rogue tube pre boards, directly drive the Class D modules, to have an even greater impact on sound.

medinsidelarge.jpg

The Hydra and Medusa are separate, stand alone power amps. Not integrated amps. They have tube input driver boards, with Class D output boards. I believe Rogue even bypasses some of the input circuitry of the Class D amp modules, so the Rogue tube pre boards, directly drive the Class D modules, to have an even greater impact on sound.

medinsidelarge.jpg

My Sphinx has driven parallel stacked Advents, 4 ohm loads, ADS L880 stacked 4ohm load or Ohm C2 6 ohm speakers, all full range with "no sweat". The class D, of course never gets hot. Only vent is above pre's 12au7 tubes. Assume Hydra has larger transformer still.

My Sphinx has driven parallel stacked Advents, 4 ohm loads, ADS L880 stacked 4ohm load or Ohm C2 6 ohm speakers, all full range with "no sweat". The class D, of course never gets hot. Only vent is above pre's 12au7 tubes. Assume Hydra has larger transformer still.

Uptown Audio is just south of me, near Roanoke, VA. I think they are a Rogue Audio dealer. I should drive down for a listen!

Am looking hard at PS Audio's M700 monoblocks and then I saw some amps by ClassDAudio for way cheaper. Seems like the same products are developing for class D amps like A/B has. Some cheaper and better, some cheaper and not so good - some more expensive and real good and some expensive and just ok.

I bought a little Lepai 100watt class D amp and was greatly surprised by what it could do. On 4 ohm speakers.

Authority and musicality are what I am looking for in an amp. Looking to drive some Genesis 5.2 speakers. Presently am using Bob Carver VTA-180 tube monoblocks or a Parasound 3500. But, the class D amps are really pulling me to try them. Just don't want to take a big step backwards nor go through the expense of learning as I buy scenario.

Smaller and cooler is what attracts me so I can reduce my systems footprint.

Thoughts/Experiences?
I have a Class D Audio SDS-250. Perfect amp for my situation. Runs cool and a good match for my speakers.

Read a few reviews on the Rogue Medusa. I think, very helpful. Still, think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the ClassDaudio 470 amp. If they have a promo code box in their cart then I'd better get a promo deal right? We'll see. They are "cheap" enough that if I don't like it and if I believe it's indicative of Class D amps then nothing lost too much as I'm sure someone will buy it from me. Lots of if's - not good.

If more power is needed I'd look no further than the new TPA 3251D which does 140 watts. The amps from ClassDaudio were pretty good in their day but this technology is advancing by leaps and bounds.

Last edited:
You can spend a lot more money and not surpass the Volt+D. All films in the signal path and it uses dual TPA3118 chips from TI to make up to 60 watts. I have the older Volt+ which is the closest I've heard to SET SQ without tubes. I'm hoping my +D arrives this week.

It looks quite groovy in its acrylic case and with that beefy stepped attenuator. Let us know what you think of it. :)

I have only fooled with the cheaper Chinese 3116s and a Lepy(Lepai) L 2020, if I am correct. I am more than pleased with these "toys" and am astounded at the quality output coming from a toy. I have in just over $100 total in all four. They are used with a 20v 3.3amp laptop brick and that seems to supply enough to get a satisfactory amount of ooomph out of them. The Breeze Audio seem to be the most powerful of them all, but the bluetooth Douk 3116 is my bathroom system and is quite loud and satisfactory. I use a tiny MP3 player as the source. It measures about 2 1/2" by 1 1/2" and cost a total of $2.39. I was going to source from my bedroom Thinkpad, but the bluetooth distance was just a bit too far. The little MP3 player is just fine for a replacement source, as I don't have to look for MAC quality while I am in the shower. I would consider moving up to a high end class D, if I should ever need to buy a new system.

The Hypex based amps from Rogue Audio are very good and at fantastic price points.

Anyone here tried the new Stellar series from PS Audio? Also, addition feedback on Wyred 4 Sound would be great, especially from people that are using them with speakers that are over 90 dB efficient.

Aavik - well, a bit out of my price range. I ordered the ClassDaudio SDS-4070C with the upgraded power supply. We shall see. I'm kinda hoping it'll get me confident enough into Class D that I'll feel better about purchasing a Rogue Medusa or the PS Audio Stellar M700s.

Aavik - well, a bit out of my price range. I ordered the ClassDaudio SDS-4070C with the upgraded power supply. We shall see. I'm kinda hoping it'll get me confident enough into Class D that I'll feel better about purchasing a Rogue Medusa or the PS Audio Stellar M700s.
Out of the range of 99% of us. Why I used it as an example is that the Aavik illustrates that the 'Class D can never sound good' argument can be permanently dismissed. Forever seen to be either ignorance or intentional lie. Not factual.

The hype at Audio Circle started with ClassDaudio amps back in 2010. Lots of posts then but interest has sharply declined probably due to the introduction of the better sounding and cheaper TPA amps. Last post on these amps was over a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom