Any fans of Art Dudley's Listener?

Come on! just a little more boot licking... ah?

Ah, Listener.

I agree about the time honored relevancy.

Far and away, my favorite audio read of all time. He epitomizes an enlightened journalist approach, taking you in tangentially, and off guard, telling a personal tale, self deprecating, and equally ruthless in poking fun at both people and their ideas. Then... bang, segues into an audio review. It is predictable and yet I feel I may never grow tired of its successful nature to stimulate and satisfy. Art is the man! And yes, this is probably why you may never see my full set of Listeners up for sale.

Funny thing is, as much as he likes the gear and the requisite tweeking, he talks an awful lot about music.

Maximum allowable bunnies +1. (AK needs a bunny icon)

and why I always conclude with...

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

here's the full set, you can read the hidden message...

d1f9e7a6.jpg

Happy Listener!:beatnik:

Last edited:
I'm missing a few issues, but had enough to figure out what the message was! :)

Great magazine! Art printed a few of my letters IIRC. Also, I was the guy who "cracked the code" on the message (or at least I was the first to write him about it and get credit for it). I had it figured out pretty early on, but it took me a while to write him about it. He gave me a free subscription extention for it (see the March/April 2002 issue). I could post his e-mail back to me about it, if that would be OK; it's pretty funny.

And speaking of that issue and Art's humor, check out page 75 and read the "code" on the spine of those issues of LISTENER.

Doug

Last edited:
Great magazine! Art printed a few of my letters IIRC. Also, I was the guy who "cracked the code" on the message (or at least I was the first to write him about it and get credit for it). I had it figured out pretty early on, but it took me a while to write him about it. He gave me a free subscription extention for it (see the March/April 2002 issue). I could post his e-mail back to me about it, if that would be OK; it's pretty funny.

And speaking of that issue and Art's humor, check out page 75 and read the "code" on the spine of those issues of LISTENER.

Doug

That's fantastic. I'll have to see if that issue is among the copies I have.

Unrelated to Listener, I was reading a review of a DAC in Stereophile and was thinking that it sounded like something I might be into based on the description, but it really depended on who was reviewing. I looked, and it was one of Art Dudley's reviews...which made me really want to check it out (one of the Wavelength DACs).

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Just to derail things a little further John, are you familiar with Ayre Acoustics and their stellar reviews?... apparently they use Wavelength Audio's "asynchronous" USB technology called Streamlength software. Funny thing is WL seems to be leading the pack in the high end DAC market when reviewed by heavy analogue users, I'm curious what these ears are hearing. This review caught my eye as well and when I noticed it was by Mr. Dudley it gained a margin of instant credibility. It is good to have an opinion by someone like Art, I think this is where the folks that don't have favorite and trusted audio writers really loose out.

*Another one of interest for me is the db audio labs Tranquility.

Happy Listener, Happy Listening!

Last edited:
Tremendous fan of the Listener; almost cried when it went under. I think I still have some mags here somewhere.

Same here.Last audio mag I ever read,before I said the heck with them all. Home theatre? :boring: Components that cost more than I will earn in a lifetime? :nono:I'll stick with my garage sale Thorens,Goodwill Magnavox,and flea market Fisher thank you very much.

I did admire them for that "monolithic" cover story,where they heaped praise on records I really love like Toscanini,Furtwangler,and Dimitri Mitroupolis.:thumbsup:

BTW, Sound Practices is available on one CD, order it through "Enjoy The Music".
Harvey Rosenberg's site is still up at Meta-Gizmo.net
I wish I could get all Listener on CD or DVD.

I suspect that I may be the only person here who also enjoy's Wes Phillips prose, even if he is occasionally inclined to gush over pretty much everything that lands on his desk. Mr Fremer, OTOH .....

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I thought Rosenberg's articles were the most entertaining & educational ones in Listerner.

...miss Listener and miss the hell out of Gizmo too, I was reading around about direct heated triodes and such and fell upon David Bernings ZOTL website. In the review section is several rants by our late friend to audio Harvey "Dr. Gizmo" Rosenberg and thought some of you more enlightened folks would enjoy the read...

http://davidberning.com/reviews

Happy Listener! :beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom