Any Indianapolis audiophiles?

AlphaEcho35

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just moved to Indy from San Antonio, where there is a great audio club (RCA - River City Audio Society.) Looking for the same type of like minded folk sharing music and equipment interests. Anything here in Indy? If not, any interest in forming a club?

I live just south of Indy and I haven't noticed much of a scene here. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest and been here a few years. A good place to start would probably be a record release listening party. Check out some of the local shops and see if they have anything up on their calendars. I heard the Twin Peaks gathering a few weeks ago was pretty successful.

I'm still trying to find a good technician to work on my equipment.

Thanks for the reply Luka. I've got a couple of record stores near me that I have yet to visit - maybe I'll find something there as you suggest. I Don't know of any technicians in the area yet, but I have noticed that there is a shop called Brownsburg Guitar (in Brownsburg) who has a bunch of vintage amplifiers posted on Craisglist for sale - maybe they would be of help? Just search for "vintage stereo record players" and you'll fined them. (I have never contacted them, just saw their postings on C-List.)

Indianapolis has a very active antique radio club - one of the oldest in the country. As for audiophiles, I don't know but some old radio people are migrating over to the vintage audio/stereo hobby...or adding vintage audio and stereo to their antique radio hobby, as I have done.

I'm about three hours SSW of Indy, close to Kentucky, so it's easier for me to go to Louisville, Owensboro or Evansville.

You would think that the HQ for Klipsch would have a sizable audio enthusiast population. They have to be hiding under a rock somewhere.... :dunno:

I'm not in Indianapolis, but go there frequently. I actually live across the state line from Terre Haute IN, in Dennison IL. I work in Bloomington IN at Indiana University for a company performing the archiving of IU's media collections. I've been into Audio since the 6th grade and have worked for CBS in their tape facility as an electronics engineer and at Sony performing copy-protection on their larger DVD/BD video titles such as Hunger Games and the Twilight series. I've been to the Klipsch Pilgrimage in Indy and bought most of my audio in Indy since the mid 70s. I'm an audiophile by heart and knowledge, but not necessarily by pocketbook. However I do have a much better than mid-fi audio/Home Theater system(s).

Hello
I'm a little bit North in Fort Wayne. I've met a few vintage audiofiles while buying and selling but we seem to be a very independent lot. I think a club would be a good idea. I get down to Indy about once a year for other business.

Sounds like folks are out there, just spread out! Oh, and thanks for the tip on the Klipsch Pilgrimage kfalls - I'd never heard of that before. Could be something interesting to do next June....

Sounds like folks are out there, just spread out! Oh, and thanks for the tip on the Klipsch Pilgrimage kfalls - I'd never heard of that before. Could be something interesting to do next June....

I've been a Klipsch fan since buying my Kg4s new in 85'. I discovered the pilgrimage by accident while going through their forums. The Pilgrimage started by touring their Engineering facility including their parts testing dept and the anechoic chamber where sound testing is performed. We looked and discussed many of their new products at the time. Later after lunch, we got on buses and went to a local theater where three of their commercial theater systems were implemented. We toured the projection room and got to go behind the stage to view the system components. The theater's manager brought out a collection of billboard posters they had left over and allowed us to choose as many movie posters as we wanted. It was a very nice visit.

I'm in Indy. To my knowledge there are no active audiophile clubs. Once there was a club called Indy Audio Society.
They've been off the radar for some time. Maybe they are still around, who knows?

I see there's an active?!? AES chapter, Central Indiana Chapter, Audio Engineering Society. Not strictly audiophile but strictly audio.

I am in the Indy metro area. There are several audiophiles around. I don't think most are very active on the forums though.

Indianapolis has a very active antique radio club - one of the oldest in the country. As for audiophiles, I don't know but some old radio people are migrating over to the vintage audio/stereo hobby...or adding vintage audio and stereo to their antique radio hobby, as I have done.

I'm about three hours SSW of Indy, close to Kentucky, so it's easier for me to go to Louisville, Owensboro or Evansville.
I'm thinking we Hoosiers can be a strange lot very independent. We can come off as stuck up in a way. Kind of sad really we're good people just takes time to get to know us i guess. Just my thoughts.

Hey gguillot,
Seems like I'm a Little late to the party but has anything become of this? I live in Fort Wayne Indiana (about 2hrs north of Indy) and I am very interested in finding or starting a club for like minded individuals to get together and hangout.

Welcome to AK gguillot, Naptown is a fun place. Lived in Speedway years ago. At that time had a vibrant music scene. Radio stations like 92.3 to listen to.

Just be careful looking for gear up there. There is a bad actor called Monster Receiver Guy by those who know of him. You will see the ads on CL for vintage gear over and over. Again just be careful!

Barney

Hey I'm new on here and I've lived in Indy all my life. Just started using my father's old Marantz stereo system from the 80s this year and I'm hooked. I just ordered a new power amp to improve my system and I can't wait to improve it with better gear. I'm always willing to talk to others about this type of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom