Any interest in a Chicago area club?

Smaug

Folks willing to drive down from SE Wisconsin or NW Indiana may also join in.

I figure maybe we could just meet at one of our homes from time to time, have a couple glasses of wine, while we talk about music and gear, listen to some music, maybe take in a movie, just kind of pal around.

Maybe visit an audio store from time to time to audition and share opinions if someone's planning a big purchase.

I'm in Deerfield, IL, which is a Chicago suburb about 20 miles north of the loop. I've got a busy work and family life, so I'd generally have to plan at least a week or two in advance.

I grew up in the south suburbs (Homewood, @ 183rd and Dixie Hwy) so I'm familiar with a bit of the south suburbs too.

Hope to see some of you guys around!

-Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
I just stumbled upon this thread. I started the Chicago Audio Society back in October 1994 and as bobschneider knows was president for a bit over 9 years (Bob was treasurer and is a great guy), stepping down for various reasons, notably that I had become a dealer, which of course was a conflict of interests. The group continues, although I don't attend every meeting nor am involved in any official capacity, of course. I do throw an annual cookout every August on the weekend before Labor Day weekend here at my home in Barrington, to which everyone is invited, where it's mainly a social event and everyone seems to have a great time. You're most welcome to attend.

I'd be interested. I'm on the North Shore, very close to Deerfield, and lived in Homewood for a few years, too.

There are lots of AK members in the area, used to meet at Robie's in Glenview but he's since moved. You could look up one of his invites in AK Happenings and see who responded.

Last edited:
Hey fellas I'm in Rogers Park. Not sure how regularly is be able to get together but I think that sort of thing sounds fun.

I'll have to look into the audio society too. I've seen the site before but I remember being a bit daunted by the quality and caliber of some of the gear!

I've been hoping to hear some Zu Omens BTW. If anyone has a pair I most definitely will be there

I'm glad to see there's some interest. prisoners and I met up one afternoon and had a good time talking about music, media, systems etc. over a couple beers.

I don't really want to get involved in anything that requires a commitment, as my family and work life is just too busy. I was just thinking about meeting up with some fellas maybe at a different guy's home each time. Have a couple drinks, snacks, and everyone could bring a couple pieces of music to share. This would be fun, as we'd get to see and hear each others' systems, get some ideas and points of reference.

If you're interested, consider subscribing to this thread with email notification.

I'm in Schaumburg and would be interested. There are two antique radio clubs in the area that have quarterly swap meets. Vintage hifi items are almost always available along with 1920's and up radios. Pete N. and Karl J. are always at the IL meets and they usually drive up for the Milwaukee meets. Pete is quite knowledgeable about vintage hifi circuits and is always willing to share. He once helped me out with a question I had on a variable loudness circuit used in an old Stromberg amp and gave me a thorough explanation of the Fletcher Munson curve right off the top of his head. Swap meets are free. Nominal charge if you want to sell. Arrive early!

http://www.antique-radios.org/
http://warci.org/

Back
Top Bottom