Any love for econoboxes?

I have a non-running Mk 1 water-cooled VW Rabbit, too. May restore it someday.

What year is it? I had a '76 (swallowtail). Converted it to 5-spd and drove it until one of the inside brake lines burst from rot. At that point I was done with it.

Fun car though. Even with ~75HP it was spry as they don't weigh much.

A non-audio topic that is dear to my heart. My first new car out of college was a 74 Dodge(Mitsubishi) Colt GT. The Gt part was mainly the gaudy stripes on the sides, but it did have wider tires and a stick shift (4-speed?). I moved upscale from there to a Saab. But I hated being on a first name basis with a mechanic. So I got rid of it and bought a 81 Toyota Celica. I was amazed with how little maintenance it needed. Next an 86 Chevy(Toyota) Nova Hatchback. 2001 Toyota Celica, 08 Pontiac Vibe and now a 15 Fiesta ST. Back in the days when I did occasional business trips I would always try to down grade my rental car. My favorite was an 80's Corolla hatchback with the 16 valve engine.

What year is it? I had a '76 (swallowtail). Converted it to 5-spd and drove it until one of the inside brake lines burst from rot. At that point I was done with it.

Fun car though. Even with ~75HP it was spry as they don't weigh much.
Mine's a '78 two door, gasoline, not diesel. The mechanical fuel injection had been replaced with a Weber carb. 4-speed, wish it was five.

I had an inside brake line burst as I exited a highway at 90mph. It was on a down hill off-ramp. I sailed through the stop sign at the bottom, and went back up on the highway via the on-ramp that was straight ahead at the intersection. I replaced the brake line, and then the motor spun a round bearing.

The car is still in pretty good shape. It's been in a barn since 1991.

A non-audio topic that is dear to my heart. My first new car out of college was a 74 Dodge(Mitsubishi) Colt GT. The Gt part was mainly the gaudy stripes on the sides, but it did have wider tires and a stick shift (4-speed?). I moved upscale from there to a Saab. But I hated being on a first name basis with a mechanic. So I got rid of it and bought a 81 Toyota Celica. I was amazed with how little maintenance it needed. Next an 86 Chevy(Toyota) Nova Hatchback. 2001 Toyota Celica, 08 Pontiac Vibe and now a 15 Fiesta ST. Back in the days when I did occasional business trips I would always try to down grade my rental car. My favorite was an 80's Corolla hatchback with the 16 valve engine.

Those Colts were unique. They had dual range manual transmission. IIRC, it was a 3 speed manual transmission, with a second lever for high and low range (economy or power).

My favorite econoboxes is the A1 Rabbit GTI and the MK1 Ford Fiesta (and they looked like brothers). I *loved* my Fiesta - quick, great milage and could park it anywhere.

Fella i knew at work had the early 70,s colt or cricket i cant remember which .To this day thats all he,s ever driven or owned!Now thats love for a car!Bought it band new and he,s never changed other than buying a couple for spare parts.

Mine's a '78 two door, gasoline, not diesel. The mechanical fuel injection had been replaced with a Weber carb. 4-speed, wish it was five.

I had an inside brake line burst as I exited a highway at 90mph. It was on a down hill off-ramp. I sailed through the stop sign at the bottom, and went back up on the highway via the on-ramp that was straight ahead at the intersection. I replaced the brake line, and then the motor spun a round bearing.

The car is still in pretty good shape. It's been in a barn since 1991.

'78, is that a Westmoreland PA built one? You dodged a bullet on your brakes. Mine popped at the end of my street @ 15 mph so little drama. It still had the K-Jetronic on it and that worked great, about the only thing. Not so much for the rest. 5-spd swap not bad, did it in driveway with Bentley & Muir books for guidance. Took a weekend to do it w/ trans from an '81 Scirocco. Once I had it rolling the chase was on to fix all the other loose ends. Every day an issue but I finally hit stasis for a few weeks when the line popped. Getting close to winter and I bailed on it. Now wish I hadn't as it was a 2-door in white. I got it the week after we bought our first house. It was door deep in the weeds at a sketchy local gas station where it sat for at least 5 years. The only good news was they put a tarp down before they parked it so it wasn't on dirt and a tarp over the top kept most of the water out of it. It took me about a year of noodling on it before it rolled under its own power.

'78, is that a Westmoreland PA built one?
The guy I bought it from said it was one of the last ones made in Germany. I don't know how to check.

It had been repainted midnight blue, and has a super high quality luggage rack on the roof. The rack gave it sort of a rally look. I love the fact that it has window wing vents.

Honda Fit hard to beat. Hauled my Cornwalls home with one. 200,000+ miles before we gave it away and bought another.

Utterly brilliant small car - wife has a 2010 model with 1300 i-vtec which goes way better than any car that size should ! Chain driven, great on gas, fun to drive. Did I mention, it was cheap too ?? :)

I agree. Auto X mine for a while. A real giant killer on the right course.

Always had a soft spot for the mid-80s Chevy Nova (Corolla). Would love to find one of the unicorn ones with the 4A-GE motor -

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curb...-chevy-twin-cam-nova-a-toyota-from-chevrolet/

stinkin-badge.jpg

Those were made here in California in what is now the Tesla factory.

Best car I ever owned was a 1980 Honda Accord hatchback LX 5 speed manual. Only new car I ever bought. Wish I had a half dozen stored and pull one out when I need one.

Simple, elegant, nice driving, and very easy to work on.

Use to watch nascar till they came out with the chase which i think is totally stupid.Hope they start showing more rallyecross on the tube.

Back
Top Bottom