Any Marantz 400/400m owners here?

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by RickJ_2270, Apr 20, 2011.

1. RickJ_2270

RickJ_2270 New Member

I just noticed the cool looking 400 & 400M amps on the Classic Audio site. I had frankly forgot that these models even existed since the 140, 250, & 500 amps tend to get discussed more.

The 400 series seems to be fairly rare, with low production numbers.

Anyone here own a 400 or 400M amp? If so, how do you like it? I like that they weigh less than the 500, but appear to be just as musically capable.

One reason why I'm inquiring is that I just scored a pair of Martin Logan Aerius speakers from Craigslist. They were for sale right in my own town and priced right. That made it a no-brainer. These speakers are awesome. Right now I'm driving them with my Marantz 1250 integrated amp, but I get the feeling that they could use more power.

Your thoughts?

Regards, -rick.
  2. jblmar

jblmar JBL & marantz

I saw an ad for he 400M in 1978. I called Marantz and asked for the 400M specifications. I was told that the amp was a prototype only.
  3. Loner

Loner Member

Hmmmm....maybe that's why we never see them for sale. I've been wondering about this model also.
  4. PB_Audio

PB_Audio Super Member

Quote, RickJ 2270:
    "I like that they weigh less than the 500, but appear to be just as musically capable."

Say what??????? ..."appear".
    Bite your toung.
  5. jstang

jstang Honey,I can't hear you... Subscriber

Never seen a 400(M) owner or even one for sale for that matter...

So agree with JBLMAR that they were just prototypes from everything I read.

6. RickJ_2270

RickJ_2270 New Member

No worries. I don't doubt for a moment that the Marantz 500 sits comfortably at the front of the vintage Marantz pantheon! In fact, I could easily see a Marantz 500 in my future. They seem to show up 'fairly' regularly on the auction site.

Regards, -rick.