Any Mel Torme fans out there?

Discussion in 'Music Reviews' started by fredcohiba, Apr 15, 2017.

1. fredcohiba

fredcohiba Super Member

I am new to Mel Torme. I know of him of course but never really had the occasion to listen to him. I just stumbled across his CD, The Duke Ellington and Count Basie Songbooks. Fantastic. The clarity, separation and staging is really well done. Not to mention his vocals.
    What's your favorite Mel CD? I want more.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Omegaman

Omegaman Ultra Super Member

The Velvet Fog

His voice is so smooth and rich

...like butter...pure butter

grillebilly and DanBNash like this.
  3. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Aggie! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

My favourite LP is Mel Tormé and Buddy Rich -- Together Again for the First Time. Direct to Disc, the whole band, one take for each side. Consummate professionals. Magic.

It's available on CD, as well.

mech986, yeehayashi and pustelniakr like this.
  4. fredcohiba

fredcohiba Super Member

Thank you.

5. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Seldom turns out the way it does in the song Subscriber

This is one of those albums I found sealed many years ago and have up until now managed to resist cracking open. I think my will power is waining :)

yeehayashi likes this.
  6. pdm4606

pdm4606 Super Member

I went to see him way back in the late 50's at the London House(Chi.) or some such place but the line was around the corner making it impossible.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Mel Torme Swings Shubert Alley is by far my favorite--the recent high-res version is especially good. But, he is delightfully good on all of the recordings of his that I own. Sadly though, none on vinyl as of yet. It's rare these days to find anything suitably "untrashed" in the used bins.
    I normally don't post videos, but this one is a gem...

yeehayashi likes this.
  8. luvvinvinyl

That is a stunning album. I buy every copy I find, usually giving as gifts to introduce people to the artists.

I trooped one around at my first AKFest, playing it on every system that had a turntable. I learned a lot about what I like in a playback system. Many of the exhibitors took down the album catalog info, and started shopping, as we were listening.

Open that LP, and brace yourself.

mech986 likes this.
  9. luvvinvinyl

Here is a TV performance of one of my favourite tracks on that LP. Blues in the Night.

10. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

I love Mel, he was an absolutely superb musician. His 1958 Tormé album on Verve is among my favorites, and my favorite "Blues in the Night" version ever.

I wish I didn't dislike Mr. Rich so much...

Wildcat likes this.
  11. luvvinvinyl

That version from the Merv Griffin show is a pale imitation of the LP. There is no sense of the dynamic range of the LP. Play it. Turn it up. Hold on.

Mr. Rich can grate on the nerves, but the man can flat out play.

I saw Maynard Ferguson and Buddy Rich, together, in a small venue. I was amazed that two such colossal egos fit in the room, at the same time. But the music? Sublime!

Wildcat likes this.

12. Sandstrom

Oh that's it then, breaking this one open, I had a strong feeling this had to be good...

13. luvvinvinyl

There's a lot in that LP that will test a system's capabilities, but that's just a sidebar to some great music.

14. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

Which release is the correct one? Discogs shows twelve different versions. I'm sure many (most) are made from a tape vs. the original direct-to-disc release.

15. Sandstrom

Just another reason I have to play this disc. I feel my system has finally gotten to a level where it is really revealing. Great recordings sound really great and not so great recordings show all of their warts. As a result I find myself really looking for well mastered stuff lately.

16. luvvinvinyl

Century Records, CRDD-1100 1978 Limited Edition release, US and Europe. Purple background on cover. That's my favourite. Also a German release with the same date and number.

Gryphon, in various colours, G784, are also 1978 releases, in mustard, pumpkin, and a dark red colour, depending on country of origin. US second release, G903.

I have never seen the Japanese version, but I will be keeping my eye open for that one.

Really, the differences are subtle, with the exception of some track differences on some of the import re-issues.

17. luvvinvinyl

Story about this LP:

Mel was doing evening shows in Vegas. When the opportunity came up, to record with Buddy Rich, the only opportunity to do so was in RCA studios, in New York. Mel did his show in Vegas, flew the red-eye to NY, walked into the studio, went over the track list, quick run-through of the charts, and then, BAM! First side, one take, short break, second side, one take. "Thanks, very much, fellows. I have a plane to catch." Then back to Vegas, and do the evening show, on schedule. Impressive. later came the tour, on the TV shows. Imagine, free tickets to Merv Griffin, and you get to see Mel and Buddy, and the whole band.

18. Sandstrom

I don't know if any are preferred over others but their appear to be two catalog numbers for US LP releases on Discogs which show Gryphon G-784 which looks like the original release (and is the sealed one that I have) and Gryphon G-903. If Discogs is accurate both claim to be from 1978, have no idea why the two different numbers though? :idea:

19. luvvinvinyl

Even the band is really tight. It all came together on that recording. you are going to love this LP.

20. luvvinvinyl

First one is gatefold, and second, just a sleeve.