Any Men At Work fans here?

tomlinmgt

Lunatic Member
Dusted off Business As Usual last night. Always enjoy listening to that one's b-side cuts....save for a few. Great band with some clever writing...musically and lyrically. Certainly one of my faves from the new wave era.

- Michael

I've been spinning that record since I bought it new in like 1981!!
That is a really good record.
I've always really, really liked the track, I Can See it in Your Eyes: Good writing.

I like 'em. One of my favorites to throw on and play along with on drums.

I've been spinning that record since I bought it new in like 1981!!
That is a really good record.
I've always really, really liked the track, I Can See it in Your Eyes: Good writing.

Oh yeah, that is a very, very good song. I also like "Underground", "Catch a Star", and "Down By the Sea" quite a lot.

I like 'em. One of my favorites to throw on and play along with on drums.

No doubt! At the ripe age of twelve ('83) Men At Work was one of the first bands I started air drumming to when I decided I wanted to be a drummer. Didn't know you played, Ray. Right on!

G'day all, yes I listened to that album on vinyl just the other day. Yes it's a fine album.

I've always been impressed by Colin Hay's songwriting. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

G'day all, yes I listened to that album on vinyl just the other day. Yes it's a fine album.

I've always been impressed by Colin Hay's songwriting. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

Indeed. I really need to look into his post-Men projects.

No doubt! At the ripe age of twelve ('83) Men At Work was one of the first bands I started air drumming to when I decided I wanted to be a drummer. Didn't know you played, Ray. Right on!

Truth be told, I prefer drumming with Cargo, especially "Settle Down", but both are a lot of fun.

I also have Colin Hay's solo album, Man at Work. It's got some good original stuff and a few do-overs of Men at Work tunes.

As far as drumming, I took lessons for a little while back in the late 80's but mostly I'm just a self taught tinkerer who puts on some tunes and figures out how to play along. In the same era and odd as it may seem, the GoGos are a lot of fun to play along with.

Always liked Men At Work. Business As Usual is a great album, people forget they won a Grammy that year for best new artist thanks to Business As Usual. Always loved Down By The Sea and their later material was great too,...High Wire and Overkill were excellent tracks.

Always liked Men At Work. Business As Usual is a great album, people forget they won a Grammy that year for best new artist thanks to Business As Usual. Always loved Down By The Sea and their later material was great too,...High Wire and Overkill were excellent tracks.

Oh yeah, those tracks from Cargo are very good. "High Wire"....there's a fun one to play, Ray.

Damn Evan...you play, too???

Yeah dude, I played a LOT in highschool before I discovered cars. I sold my drums senior year. My wife bought me these for a wedding gift. I was taking lessons and actually improving before I had to stop taking lessons when Liam was born. Sleeping baby puts a real damper on practice time.

IMG_0001.jpg

I like them quite a bit, and wish I had more than just Business as Usual in my library.

Yeah dude, I played a LOT in highschool before I discovered cars. I sold my drums senior year. My wife bought me these for a wedding gift. I was taking lessons and actually improving before I had to stop taking lessons when Liam was born. Sleeping baby puts a real damper on practice time.

IMG_0001.jpg

Dude! That looks like Session Custom maple in Vintage Fade. I had that kit in 8-10-12-14-16-22. Extremely punchy for maple shells. The first kit I ever bought brand new. Ordered 'em before they even made it into the stores. They were just so nice I couldn't stand the idea of gigging with them so I sold 'em. I hear ya' about drums and babies....bad combo all the way around. Been there, done that. Twice!

I like them quite a bit, and wish I had more than just Business as Usual in my library.

You on MOG? Lots of Men At Work there including Cargo, which IMO is just as good as Business. Listening to "Upstairs In My House" right now....great tune. As is the one after it, "No Sign of Yesterday". These guys wrote some extremely good songs. Does anyone know if Colin did the majority of the writing?

I know what's playin on my rig tonight. And since the Vandersteens will be leaving to go to their new home tonight I need to figure out what I want to put in their place. I think Men At Work will sound pretty good with the Maggie -IIIa's. :yes:

Last edited:
Dude! That looks like Session Custom maple in Vintage Fade. I had that kit in 8-10-12-14-16-22. Extremely punchy for maple shells. The first kit I ever bought brand new. Ordered 'em before they even made it into the stores. They were just so nice I couldn't stand the idea of gigging with them so I sold 'em. I hear ya' about drums and babies....bad combo all the way around. Been there, done that. Twice!

That's the pearl masters MCX series FWIW. They all look pretty much the same though :)

You on MOG? Lots of Men At Work there including Cargo, which IMO is just as good as Business. Listening to "Upstairs In My House" right now....great tune. As is the one after it, "No Sign of Yesterday". These guys wrote some extremely good songs. Does anyone know if Colin did the majority of the writing?

I know what's playin on my rig tonight. And since the Vandersteens will be leaving to go to their new home tonight I need to figure out what I want to put in their place. I think Men At Work will sound pretty good with the Maggie -IIIa's. :yes:

No, I'm not on MOG. I do use lastfm on occasion, so do have access to more than what I physically have. I seem to remember reading some time back that Colin was the main songwriter, and reading the credits on Business, seems to confirm that, as he is listed as having written lyrics for 8 of the tracks.

They should sound very good on your MG-IIIa's; they sound good on my MG-I's.

I just picked up an Australian CBS copy of "Business As Usual." Sounds amazing. Plus, the cover is black and white, unlike the yellow cover that the US got.

Back
Top Bottom