Any Reel guys interested in a tape swap?

I would participate in another, but I’m not going to organize another. I ran several of these here, and it’s not like it’s a lot of work if things go smoothly. But we had the one where one of the participants went rogue and just kept a few of the tapes, didn’t send them on and wasn’t replying to messages. I did finally get him to forward all the tapes, but it was a train wreck.

Most of the swap rotations have gone on without a hitch though. The key is to never send out a tape you’d be heartbroken not to get back, and then it’s all fine.

I would say you have done more than your fair share to the cause! I would be open to coordinating a swap but I would rather participate in one first before stretching expectations.

You also have to be prepared to have your tape damaged in transit, and be able to live with it, so no sending irreplaceable tapes. :)

I remember that one swap where a tape became mysteriously "half demagnetized" while in transition from my place to whomever I mailed to in that swap. I don't think we ever figured out how that happened. Good thing I kept a copy of everything that went through here and was able to make a copy.

But, swaps are a lot of fun!

Dave :music:

I'd rather wait till after summer, I may be in a job transition after Sept so might have some free time in fall time frame, I can only do the 7", 7.5ips 4-track. I can't do 2-track 10" swap...... As far as mailing we were doing postal service, several yrs ago I think we did media mail which is too long. I would send priority and would run about $7 to mail, I think.

The biggest problem we had, for me, in that yr long swap was people were sending tapes out of rotation.....I know Rob struggled getting it back on track with one or two participants, I don't remember. But I got my tape back before the rotation was to be over......It was weird.

Pencil me in

Also interested in 7.5 or 15 ips 2 or 4 track. Lemme know what you need. Just got about 15 commercially recorded 7.5 ips 7" tapes and can list the inventory if anyone's interested.

Have two 10" 15ips 1/4" studio 1/2 track 'masters' as well from an unknown artist for those who like honky tonk or never got to experience the top settings on your deck or 2 track recordings. That's the reason I got them, lol.

Really wishing the tape project and others would get enough volume/interest to reel prices down to $100 or under. (Figure $50 for the tape stock and the remainder for labor royalties, mailing etc. would be a more than fair price, given that albums are $10-20 these days from itunes, etc.)

Maybe a really big group buy might work, but there's not so many of us RTR guys these days.

I have done this several times in the past some went by great one other took months longer then it expected and several of us never received our tapes back.

I will try it again but it has to be 7" reels and 7.5 I.P.S. mixed music. Not risking a 10.5" reel going missing. Life happens people move, divorce etc. Most of us stayed away from Rap but your choice.

Some one will have to manage the list. Meaning log everyone's home address, phone number and rotation list by where you live. Everyone HAS to mail EVERY two weeks or it will be a mess.

If your life is so busy that mailing a tape every two weeks is not doable please don't sign up. I'm retired so mailing a tape to next and same person every two wees is not a bother for me.

Louis

Nice try LOL if things go sideways we NEED someone a little less Texan "RedNeck" then me :) my patience is not what it use to be after raseing four kids.
Shall we say I was not the best "diplomat" when my new AGFA 7" tape was never returned from the person that was in front of me in the list.

Shall we say I was not the best "diplomat" when my new AGFA 7" tape was never returned from the person that was in front of me in the list.

Seems I'll be stuffing a reel of Concertape directly into the mailer then. Lost? No worries!

Seems I'll be stuffing a reel of Concertape directly into the mailer then. Lost? No worries!

I wanted a good sounding tape back then just had my late Dad's Revox completely refubrised not just re cap tape pathway.

I have upgraded my my pre/amp,TT and cart from 2015, my last tape swap. Will mail this one from a Maxell UD 35-90.

I wanted a good sounding tape back then just had my late Dad's Revox completely refubrised not just re cap tape pathway.

I have upgraded my my pre/amp,TT and cart from 2015, my last tape swap. Will mail this one from a Maxell UD 35-90.

My Concertape reference was of course tounge-in-cheek; I too want to provide the best experience possible. Your effort is commendable, the lack of respect for the swap process from others not so much.

I have a Capture 930 reel targeted for the trip.

I hear the definitive scope for this round to be 7" reel, 7.5 I.P.S., 4 track assumed.

Can see who is in and commit to a start date?

I am in if someone will manage the list 7" reel. 7.5 I.P.S. 4 track mixed or what ever. In the past the "manager" looked at a map and picked members so I did not send to N.Y. and N.Y. did not send to California I live in Texas. Etc

You should make a list of what everyone has to swap and then we can swap as we like. Or swap CD's of our tapes if we don't want to swap actual tape.

I got a nice collection of live and airchecks jazz and swing from the 40's. Count Bassie, Dorsey, etc. I don't want to swap tapes, but I'd swap CD's of tape for CD's of someone else's tape.

Pass on swapping CD I prefer the sound of analog I record from my TT ,YMMV jus sayin.... if someone will step up to manage a tape swap PM me.

You got any live 1940s jazz or swing tapes to trade LAB? Even 1950s jazz. I will consider apples for apples trades. If not it is CD's for trade.

Not really into the older jazz as most of my jazz is MOFI LP's like Miles Davis etc . More into newer Blues and classic R&R most of my music collection is LP's. If I REALLY like a album I look for MOFI LP's or QRP 45 RPM 200 gram LP. Then record to my R2R.. The majority of my CD's are 60/70/80's classic R&R I collected back in the day. Thanks for the offer weegee just retired and back into analog again. I do have some older jazz but those LP's and R2R were my Dad's not for sale/trade.

LAB and I were part of the past tape swaps, as he said most went well and that ONE swap was a nightmare. You MUST commit to listening and mailing the tape to the next person within 2 weeks, you also cannot mail via Media Mail, takes too long. Depending on how many on the list you need to commit to the expense also. I have zero desire in being the point man but will participate if a swap happens, I live in WA state.

7" reels at 7.5ips 4track......I could careless about CDs, no offense.

Back
Top Bottom