Any Techs in our group ?

greymatter

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Have my Sansui 8 Deluxe in the shop twice , Morrell Electronics very nice guy , but can't seem to figure out the cracking in receiver audio section it comes and goes. So it looks like I need another set of eyes on it to get this figured out , have dropped 190.00 on it so far and no idea what's the problem. So where do I look now for a fix ? Any one in the group , I know Punker X is the man but he is a year out and he just works on tuners , so I am SOL , so who would be my next option? Any suggestions ? Thx gang

Irs...

3 basic.. but perhaps uncommon methods:

Isolate..
Reproduce...
Spec Check....

[/B]Most times, the issue, when I have pursued audio remedies turn out to be an "anomaly" caused by other factors; EX: poor/worn connection, poor/wrong interface with other components or external interference.

So... I use the I.R.S.... approach (my flow... :scratch2:)

Isolate or make sure the source of the issue IS the component and not cabling or the like. Source material should be considered as well.

Reproduce or try to make the unit do the same thing, malfunction under same/similar conditions. Often this narrows the section (as in an orchestra), that is causing the overall problem.

Finally, and this often proves to be most challenging, "spec check" the behavior of the section.. as most do have test points. Some basic technical and electrical knowledge does help. Get a "tech friend" if you don't like working with small stuff.. :no:

The challenge is getting a usable or relevant schematic. Here at AK, lots of folk have already worked through same/similar issues..., this helps a lot!

intermittent can be hard to find . sometimes i just live with it and let it develop .
try and note down time intervals from switch on .. and duration if it clears up without restart .

I had a model Eight drive me in circles for years with that problem.
I do not know if the Deluxe preamp board is the same and I've seen other Eights that used a different part so this is just a shot at this.

There were two blue blob capacitors at the output of the pre-amp board.
They were called "solid aluminum" capacitors in the service manual.
Some AK wisdom at the time said they never go bad.

HA!

Both were bad.

I now suspect little blue blob capacitors whenever I see them and I replace them during a recap.

Have your tech look for them on the pre-amp board and replace them if found.
They are polarized so watch orientation.
Replace with normal electrolytic capacitors.
They are very small uf. So film caps would be great too.

Luck!

Last edited:
THX for the suggestions , will see what i can find on a fix for this issue . Hope to be posting back soon with a solution.:music:

Back
Top Bottom