Any tips on clean Eico faceplates?

artdecoradio

That should be "Any tips on CLEANING Eico faceplates". :) Anyway, I just recently purchased at an estate sale an Eico HF-85 Preamp. It is in nice condition except that there is some discoloration in various places on the brass-colored faceplate. From looking at pictures of Eico equipment on the internet, this seems to be a common problem with Eico faceplates. Any suggestions about cleaning the plate? I don't want to strip it or use any highly abrasive methods etc and want to leave it as original as possible. Thanks. Oh and by the way, why can't we edit the titles of these threads???

i DO THE BRASS FACEPLATE first with paint stripper or lacquer thinner to remove all the old clearcoat.
Lettering is engraved so is not harmed.
Then a good metal polish to get it shiny as a mirror.
then a few coats of a good clearcoat and bobs your uncle.

i DO THE BRASS FACEPLATE first with paint stripper or lacquer thinner to remove all the old clearcoat.
Lettering is engraved so is not harmed.
Then a good metal polish to get it shiny as a mirror.
then a few coats of a good clearcoat and bobs your uncle.
Thanks for the info. :)

That should be "Any tips on CLEANING Eico faceplates". :) ... Oh and by the way, why can't we edit the titles of these threads???

You can edit the title. There's a little drop down menu just above your first post on the right called "Thread Tools". At least it's there for subscribers.

Back
Top Bottom