Anybody built a desktop PC recently?

I think the arturia qualifies as a little bit more than a soundcard. It looks more like a front end for a DAW. I'm guessing you plan to do a little recording. A question for you since you seem to be into the music "stuff" - does anybody use MIDI anymore with wavetable synthesizers? I know it was popular 20 - 25 years ago, but haven't kept up with it.

And my build is progressing. My power supply, cpu cooler and some replacement fans arrived this morning. Next week I plan to order my SSD system drive. One step at a time.

When does the arturia arrive?

I think the arturia qualifies as a little bit more than a soundcard. It looks more like a front end for a DAW. I'm guessing you plan to do a little recording. A question for you since you seem to be into the music "stuff" - does anybody use MIDI anymore with wavetable synthesizers? I know it was popular 20 - 25 years ago, but haven't kept up with it.

I am all analog outside the interface... The Delta 44 card was perfect for me with 4 analog inputs. I do know a few people still using vintage midi gear.

When does the arturia arrive?

Like your build... mine is a work in progress. I bought the laptop replacement tablet instead of the interface. It will be the next time I can budget a few hundred to new toys :) The wife is very supportive and is actually complaining she hasn't received new tunes from me to listen to in forever.

It has been 15 years since my goof album release of solo bass stuff :)
http://myselfalone.com/media-NSTS.htm

I am all analog outside the interface... The Delta 44 card was perfect for me with 4 analog inputs. I do know a few people still using vintage midi gear.

Like your build... mine is a work in progress. I bought the laptop replacement tablet instead of the interface. It will be the next time I can budget a few hundred to new toys :) The wife is very supportive and is actually complaining she hasn't received new tunes from me to listen to in forever.

It has been 15 years since my goof album release of solo bass stuff :)
http://myselfalone.com/media-NSTS.htm

So, do you come out of the interface directly to analog tape or go through a mixer? What are you using? Just being nosey.

So, do you come out of the interface directly to analog tape or go through a mixer? What are you using? Just being nosey.

Analog was the wrong term... all of the recording, mixing and drums are done on the computer. Mostly in Cakewalk/Sonar in the past, few newer things (and future things) in Reaper

I plug mics and direct boxes into the interface is tethered to my computer, then run the output to the Sony set up in my sig. All the drums are programmed and/or loops. I use to use EZ Drummer from Toontracks, but I plan to upgrade to their Superior Drummer line (more features, same libraries)... my current copy is the original release, they are on version 3 now.

Analog was the wrong term... all of the recording, mixing and drums are done on the computer. Mostly in Cakewalk/Sonar in the past, few newer things (and future things) in Reaper

Ah Ha! It is a DAW. Sounds like a nice setup. Cakewalk - I remember it from like 20 years ago. I guess it's still chugging along.

Ah Ha! It is a DAW. Sounds like a nice setup. Cakewalk - I remember it from like 20 years ago. I guess it's still chugging along.

Haven't used cakewalk in 15 years at least. It became Sonar and still as awesome as ever. I've used Reaper for the last decade plus. Does all I need plus more, great community, and more cost effective for the hobbyist

http://reaper.fm/

Well, if you've done build or are planning one, I'd like to hear about it and any details/problems/quirks you encountered along the way.
Built one maybe two or three years ago. Core i7 processor (done with that flaky AMD crap), SSD, lots of memory, and a new black case with three fans that barely run, so she's nice and quiet. I use the onboard sound and use the optical digital out to an external DAC, small EL84 tube amp and speakers. Fired right up, first try. Still running great! It also has WiFi and Bluetooth but I leave those turned off; handy to have, though. I have to say this Core i7 and whichever motherboard it was, has been the least problematic of any I have owned in 18 years (no problems at all, actually). I run two optical drives for batch CD ripping. I could run three, but I can barely keep up shuffling discs through two drives as it is. :D Gig Ethernet connects to the two NAS boxes in the basement, and all files are stored on both NAS boxes plus a backup in the cloud.

I will say that any serious work I need to do, gets done on the desktop. I don't dick around with the cramped keyboard of a laptop, or poke at a tablet like a mindless pud, and pretend I'm working. ;) Nope! Ergonomic keyboard and mouse (carpal tunnel, yo), and very fast typist from coding hundreds of thousands of lines of code in the old days, and doing a crap ton of writing as well. :)

A little update, if anyone's interested - I've got my MB, processor, power supply, memory and M.2 SSD. After I circle the MB a couple of more times, I'll finally start the assembly. Of course, I'll have to clear off a bunch of crap I have piled up on my test bench. The cpu cooler should be in Tuesday. It has begun.

Back
Top Bottom