Anybody by records from Mobile Fidelity.

The only MoFi release I have is the gold CD of Little Feat's "Dixie Chicken". It definitely sounds great, and I think it's an improvement over the original record. I would love to own some of MoFi's vinyl releases.

I have a bunch of MoFi stuff, both vinyl and CD--it is generally good, but still a bit "hit or miss"--some are fantastic and others leave me feeling like "I paid what $$$ for this?"--it just depends.

I have a bunch of MoFi stuff, both vinyl and CD--it is generally good, but still a bit "hit or miss"--some are fantastic and others leave me feeling like "I paid what $$$ for this?"--it just depends.
Agreed. My experience has been that the 'Silver Label' pressings aren't all quite up to snuff and I'll usually forgo buying them. Otherwise I wish all pressings were of MoFi quality to start with.

The talk a good game about their pressings and they have a number on interesting releases.

You should post the ones you're interested in and people can comment if they've heard them and compared them to the standard issue. I also have a lot of their stuff on vinyl and SACD. Overall very good, but as some said above, some are not really worth the extra $.

ok:

the main one is Rickie Lee jones (first LP) this is one of my favorite records and my copy is getting long in the tooth. But I know I can find this for 12 bucks probably, they want 35 If its a real step up (which might be hard becuase I think it was well recorded to begin with) then no problem paying a premium

then of less importance but I am curios are:

Weezer blue, Los Lobos By the light of the moon, and Basie, Before Frank.

I have quite a few, some sound great, others not much better than the original release they seek to "improve", and some not as good as the original release. And trust me, some that sound no better and possibly worse than original releases can set you back plenty of dough.

One good thing: Even some of the stinkers seem to hold their value, I s'pose owing to the MOFI label's "cachet".

One good thing: Even some of the stinkers seem to hold their value, I s'pose owing to the MOFI label's "cachet".

I guess, I only buy.

I appreciate the opinions, the marketing dept. writes well, kept me on the site at least

Last edited:
ok:

the main one is Rickie Lee jones (first LP) this is one of my favorite records and my copy is getting long in the tooth. But I know I can find this for 12 bucks probably, they want 35 If its a real step up (which might be hard becuase I think it was well recorded to begin with) then no problem paying a premium.

$35.00 what does that get you nowadaze?
Maybe a tank full of gas
Maybe a half way decent meal for one
Maybe some postage stamps
Perhaps pay your water bill for the month of Dec.
All of which is gone anywhere from 24 hours to 30 days.
Buy the record, like it or hate it, no matter, when your done it is yours to listen to over and over for years to come or flip it on any number of different venues and recover some of your money. Try that with your cable or cell phone service, which by the way you NEVER own. How about all that money you spend on insurance?! There's a great ROI.

People spend $300 and up on a turntable, another $100 and up for a cartridge then wonder if $35 is too much to spend on a record?! Personally I've pissed away more and have gotten less in my life.
I own many Mobile Fidelity Half Speed recordings (most of the original cat #s from the 70s), Nautilus Half Speed recordings and CBS Mastersound Half Speed recordings dating back to the late 70s. Some are fantastic and some not so much but what I have found is in just about every instance the half speed version has always been better in one way or another compared to the standard consumer pressings. In addition, bad sounding is not so much the fault of MoFi as it is the crappy original master tape quality. I have listented to Billy Joel The Stranger from MoFi, CBS Mastersound and Analog Productions all on the same table, on the same day, and they all sound like crap because the original master tape sounds like crap. Which is too bad because I really like the music on that album.

Rant over, carry on.

ok:

the main one is Rickie Lee Jones (first LP) this is one of my favorite records and my copy is getting long in the tooth. But I know I can find this for 12 bucks probably, they want 35 If its a real step up (which might be hard because I think it was well recorded, to begin with) then no problem paying a premium

Then of less importance but I am curious are:

Here are some opinions of that MOFI recording contrasted to some other pressings.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ones-numbered-limited-edition-180g-lp.317269/

ok:

the main one is Rickie Lee jones (first LP) this is one of my favorite records and my copy is getting long in the tooth. But I know I can find this for 12 bucks probably, they want 35 If its a real step up (which might be hard becuase I think it was well recorded to begin with) then no problem paying a premium

then of less importance but I am curios are:

Was not impressed with Weezer Blue MFSL, sounds flat,expected more dynamics.
Los Lobos Kiko MFSL is a killer pressing and sounds uber. Hotel California by The Eagles on MFSL is my favorite sound wise.
I bought an original Ricki Lee Jones pressing st a charity outlet a month ago for 1.99 in mint shape. Avoid Record Club pressings of this album. MFSL as we know it is different now,they were purchased by Musicdirect a few years ago. I like the older MFSL pressings and as far as Weezer look at the Geffen DMM PRESSINGS. Pinkerton sounds uber.
15437836437409210077615252365317.jpg

Last edited:
Los Lobos Kiko MFSL is a killer pressing and sounds uber. Hotel California by The Eagles on MFSL is my favorite sound wise.
I bought an original Ricki Lee Jones pressing st a charity outlet a month ago for 1.99 in mint shape. Avoid Record Club pressings of this album. MFSL as we know it is different now,they were purchased by Musicdirect a few years ago. I like the older MFSL pressings and as far as Weezer look at the Geffen DMM PRESSINGS. Pinkerton sounds uber.
View attachment 1345614

I was pretty disappointed by the Pretenders (S/T album) SACD from MFSL. It also sounded flat with little dynamics. I also have the Weezer Blue, but no frame of reference to compare that against any other version. Most of the other ones I have I've been fine/pleased with, but again, don't always have another version to compare it against.

My Silver Label of Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells a Story" is quite good. Santana 3 was meh. Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Street Survivors" was returned, not good at all. Again hit and miss.

View attachment 1345614

Agree with the Los Lobos "Kiko". Demonstration material IMO

Agreed. My experience has been that the 'Silver Label' pressings aren't all quite up to snuff and I'll usually forgo buying them. Otherwise I wish all pressings were of MoFi quality to start with.
The Silver Label is a MoFi release that does not use the original master tapes. Either the tapes are in bad shape, lost, or gone for good. So they use the best source they have to make the Silver Label series. Some of these releases are hit or miss since they are working with a less than ideal source to begin with in some cases. For the Silver Label series, the top of the cover says Mobile Fidelity and not Original Master Recording.

I have many many many MFSL vinyl titles and a bunch of the Ultradisc Gold CD's. I'd say I've been happy with 90%+ of everything I have by them.

On a side note since we'retalking audiophile....

I also have the DCC (Steve Hoffman), Analogue Productions, Music Matters, and other audiophile label releases. MoFi tops my list as best sound across the vinyl product line. DCC is really hit or miss to me. The Hoffman forum people praise these releases, but I think if anyone said anything bad about them, they get booted off the website. AP has nice releases, but I've got a couple of real duds from them and some QC issues. Music Matters is really fantastic, but they mainly do jazz titles. They had inner sleeve issues with the older titles which resulted in a haze left on the vinyl which doesn't come off but doesn't disturb the sound.

Back
Top Bottom