Anybody else have a 4k Roku stick?

the skipper

Professional Curmudgeon
We just got one and I'm having two issues. Any advice is appreciated.

It's being powered by a USB port on the TV, if that matters.

My issues are two fold.

1) The image is visibly darker than from other sources, such as the smart TV's internal apps and a Sony Blu-Ray player.

2) The damn thing wants to take over the input selection! When we turn on the system, it automatically goes to Roku and when we try to turn the Roku off, the whole friggin' system goes off. Now we have to turn on the system and change the TV's input! Wotta PITA

It does a lot and has access to tons of apps. Aside from these issues, it would be perfect.

Any help or advice is welcome.

It's being powered by a USB port on the TV, if that matters.
I use a standard stick with our HT, but it's plugged into the Emotiva processor which provides input switching. There may be something with your chosen TV's HDMI input choice that is "taking control". Are there others available?

Also, ours is powered using the provided AC powered block. You might try using one of those to eliminate using a USB port on your TV presumably intended for signal/data. That could be confusing it. Good luck!

Where's The Professor when you need him? ;)

Thanks for your ideas, Ralph. Here's the followup.

1) I used another HDMI port on the TV - no change

2) Went back to original HDMI port and used the supplied power supply - no change

3) Took stick anf plugged it into another Vizio TV in another room, using USP on TV for power - worked perfectly!

4) Knowing it's the TV (!@$$#@!!!), I plugged it into a HDMI lack on my MArantz 5011 and used the supplied power supply. - Worked perfectly!

Problem solved. Thanks.

As an added benefit, the receiver does not default to the Roku and it can be powered on/off independently from the other components.

Now, since I have a service contract with Direct TV, I'm gonna file a claim with them and get a replacement for my main 55" Vizio doe to bad HDMI ports. I've done this before and hey replaced my 46" Toshiba with a 50" vizio.

Last edited:
Good deal! Technology is a beautiful thing when it works - and sometimes it isn't always clear why when it doesn't!

edit: I could have attached mine to the TV, but wanted to simplify operation since wifey is the primary user. Switching on Emotiva processor turns on TV and power amp. Cable box runs 24/7 for DVR use along with Roku.

Input 1 - Cable box
Input 2 - Oppo 103
Input 3 - Roku (which she uses frequently for Netflix and Amazon content)

Switch off processor powers down everything else. Can run TV independently, however, as processor runs in pass thru mode. But she really enjoys hearing the full system as articulation is much better than the TV speakers. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom