Anybody here watch the Grammys?

Not lately. Back when the music being honored was the music I was listening to, yes. I remember, "A couple of Keith's" , Richards and Moon, were presenters. Moony walked out and did a somersault on stage.

I'm ending a 7 show run on Sunday night. I'll record it and fast forward over all the crap.

Some of the groups from the last few months of shows I've worked are up for nomination. Sylvan Esso and War On Drugs are two of them.

Normally I don't. I will say that I saw a Beyonce' and a Bruno Mars performance there that were quite good. Especially Beyonce's bit. Her performance was straight-up mad Soul Music- some hard hitting R&B stuff that was killin'. I don't expect emotional depth from pop music and don't blame folks for not wanting it there tbh- mainly because "Emoting" has become a stylistic affect in the same way some college professors decide to take on an accent so people will listen. It's bo-o-o-o-gus! But when the emotion is real, it elevates the craft.

Edit; Turns out the Beyonce thing I'm thinking of was the MTV music awards, which I usually don't watch either

Every style of music has performers that can "bring it" when they want to. And even pop music hides monster talents. Bing Crosby was the equivalent of Justin Beber in 1931 and David Bowie was similar in 1976... look at Little Drummer Boy in 1977. Two pop singers. Just a long time ago. Who's going to call Bing or Dave "trite" now? Good music is good music no matter who is doing it.

This would've made a fun poll with all the No votes.

One more 'No' here. I used to watch the Oscars religiously, kinda turned off lately though. Have hated the Grammys for decades as they celebrate the 'one-percenters' of commercial music, and not the entire spectrum of what's out there. The rock/hard rock/metal awards have been particularly hilarious.

This would've made a fun poll with all the No votes.

One more 'No' here. I used to watch the Oscars religiously, kinda turned off lately though. Have hated the Grammys for decades as they celebrate the 'one-percenters' of commercial music, and not the entire spectrum of what's out there. The rock/hard rock/metal awards have been particularly hilarious.

Interesting... you mean the top 1% of sellers? I thought the Grammy Awards were always based on sales? Not being a smartass... just actually not sure.

Interesting... you mean the top 1% of sellers? I thought the Grammy Awards were always based on sales? Not being a smartass... just actually not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award

"Final voting
After nominees have been determined, final voting ballots are sent to NARAS voting members, who may then vote in the general fields and in no more than nine of the 30 fields. Members are encouraged, but not required, to vote only in their fields of expertise. Ballots are tabulated secretly by the major independent accounting firm Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu.[21] Following the tabulation of votes the winners are announced at the Grammy Awards. The recording with the most votes in a category wins and it is possible to have a tie (in which case the two or more nominees who tie are all considered winners). Winners are presented with the Grammy Award and those who do not win are given a medal for their nomination.

In both voting rounds, Academy members are required to vote based upon quality alone, and not to be influenced by sales, chart performance, personal friendships, regional preferences or company loyalty. The acceptance of gifts is prohibited. Members are urged to vote in a manner that preserves the integrity of the Academy and their member community. Although registered media companies may submit entries they may not vote in either round of voting."

Academy members are required to vote based upon quality alone, and not to be influenced by sales, chart performance, personal friendships, regional preferences or company loyalty.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. If you've spent any time in the entertainment industry you'll know that that's the ONLY criteria they use to vote.

But OK... it's a "vote" then. I would be interested in knowing what chart toppers don't win.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. If you've spent any time in the entertainment industry you'll know that that's the ONLY criteria they use to vote.

But OK... it's a "vote" then. I would be interested in knowing what chart toppers don't win.

International hits like Macarena and Gangnam Style often don't get the love.

I don't really care who wins, it's the self-congratulatory nature of entertainment industry awards in general that annoys me out of watching them.

I had the show on but didn't pay too much attention.

I get that it may have been to late for Mark E. Smith of The Fall to have made the "in memoriam" segment since he passed away last week, but leaving out Sib Hashian (Boston) and Grant Hart (Husker Du) struck me wrong. Seeing Ralph Carney with his bass sax and Wayne Cochran's blond pompadour did make me smile.

I haven't watched since the mid 80s. The Grammys are nothing but an industry-based mutual back-patting, based on a popularity contest among NARAS voters more than anything else. Then with these self-righteous performers and presenters injecting their clueless politics or social messages into their speeches...uh, no thanks. Nobody watching a music program wants to hear ill-formed opinions from these "attention whores."

What really bothers me even more is how the televised portion has essentially snubbed anything that isn't a charting hit--jazz, classical, much of the world music, engineering awards, etc. are typically ignored in the proceedings unless something is a huge, fluke success in the mainstream (which bring$ in televi$ion viewer$). If "my" music is marginalized, why would I even bother?

Nope. If the winners just graciously accepted the awards and thanked those that made it possible including this great country and the leaders that made it possible for them to amass a fortune doing what they love, it might be different. I will not support artists or shows that bast the country.

International hits like Macarena and Gangnam Style often don't get the love.

I don't really care who wins, it's the self-congratulatory nature of entertainment industry awards in general that annoys me out of watching them.

This year was no different. "Despacito" was completely shut out! I hear they even performed it! But sorry boys... no awards for you. :)

Sorta.

Wifey is a huge Bruno Mars fan. I dozed off while she was watching and awoke to catch Little Big Town’s act, which I enjoyed. I liked Bruno’s performance as well.

I could do without the soapbox speeches some feel necessary whenever they have the spotlight.

Big no here.I cannot think of one artist I was or even could of been interested in,and tons I know I wasn't interested in starting with that no talent Corden.

Big no here.I cannot think of one artist I was or even could of been interested in,and tons I know I wasn't interested in starting with that no talent Corden.

Aw man, that's a harsh critique of Corden! He did a great job on Doctor Who. And I think he's a breath of fresh air in late night.

I haven't followed or cared about the Grammy Awards since I was high school, some 45 years ago. I am certain I am not missing anything.

Back
Top Bottom