Anybody recognize these embossed initials on Dynaco SCA-35?

Greg Nal

Audio Wizard Wannabe
Subscriber
Saw an interesting thing this weekend-seller didn't know the history of the embossed faceplate on this SCA-35. Any of you able to shed light on this? Someone went to a lot of trouble to do this. Also note the headphone jack center left. Clearly a well done mod.

BPA 159.jpg

Attachments

• BPA 159 nude 1.jpg
    BPA 159 nude 1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 75
  • BPA 159 nude 2.jpg
    BPA 159 nude 2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 73
So it is and what an interesting thread indeed! Hot off the presses, so to speak...

This looks much older than 1975 judging by the components although it does appear to have the later rubber insulated wire on the trannies. It's hard to tell from the underside pic...
Does it have the newer Dynaco logo in the back panel?

Excellent integrated by the way. I absolutely love my 1965 factory wired example. I was flabbergasted the other day when I played Johnny Cash's rendition of "hurt". The man was right there in the room!

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting as it seems to have some sort of grounding screw replacing the one by the phono input. Transport as in "tape transport"?
The newer logo denotes a unit made from the late 60s to the mid 70s.

They seemed to have moved the headphone jack from the back to the front in this example. I suspect there are other mods as well..

You might have stumbled across an ultra rare unit, and I expect the statute of limitations is up by now ... ;-}

A tad more complex than that.

The Statute of Limitations, varying state by state, only applies to prosecution for the act of theft itself, not for the return of the stolen property which is generally unlimited in the United States. The right to ownership after a given period of time is a common misconception about how Limitations applies. Just because a stolen item is retained past the expiration of prosecution does not allow one to keep it,or criminals would simply hang onto collectibles, such as art or classic cars, past that date. This would only reward crime. So when you find that pile of cash which DB Cooper dropped, you technically can't keep it. (You've been warned.)

Stolen material always remains the property of its owner and must, as a matter of law, be returned upon demand. A cloudy chain of title between thief and buyer does not eliminate the requirement. If an insurance company paid a claim it owns the stolen item, and is entitled to its return upon recovery. (If you think it the issue is complex on land, go look up maritime salvage law.) The controlling law, again, varies not merely by country, but even from state by state.

New York, for example, has very strict laws about recovery of stolen property, and it matters not that a good-faith purchaser did not knowingly purchase a stolen item. Once the item surfaces, the original owner, or its successor or assign, has three years to make a claim against the possessor. Since many items come up for sale in NYC auction houses, the law proves problematic for the putative owner of stolen art, no matter its purported provenance, which is usually fictitious. Very famous art dealers in Europe and NYC have been accused of, but not convicted for, knowingly selling artwork looted by the Nazis, for example. Some of the artwork had to be returned when the descendants were able to establish a claim. Art often vanishes for years, often decades, and the original owner still has a claim. Works that way for any property.

Some countries, like Switzerland, are the opposite: a good-faith purchaser has title superior to that of the victimized owner, and the original owner must prove that a peculiarity of the sale to the good-faith purchaser, even if not from the thief, should have tipped off the buyer as to irregularities in the purportedly clear title.

Anyway, the short version is that the successor to Dynaco or its insurer technically owns those pieces, but that once the sale comes to its attention it has a time certain by which it must assert a claim. So one could ask the successor and/or insurer for a release, and that's the appropriate way to proceed.

So if gear is stolen and that gear shows up on eBay or Craigslist, the original owner can have it returned upon supplying proof of ownership. This is why it pays to record serials numbers or mark items, and have photos, to simplify recovery.

The owner said they called and spoke with someone at Dynaco to inquire about the embossing and was told they didn't know anything about it...

The problem was the employee who was disclaimed any and all knowledge may not have been in a position of responsibility to make such a denial, or the question may not have been posed in the proper fashion, thereby not being legally sufficient to overcome the rights of the original owner.

If it were me, I would document that contact using Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, and then after the specified period of time, again varying state by state, the original owner loses its rights and the piece becomes unencumbered for sale. That would not, however, negate the insurance company's rights were a payout to have been made.

As I above explained, establishing the legality of ownership of a stolen item is not that simple.

Which Dynaco did they call to talk with? <G>

I took a shot a while back at getting hold of the latest dbx company to see if I could track down some ICs and schematics for a 3BX. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about ...

It was a brief online conversation-I don't know the owner nor am I (now) interested in the SCA-35...

I took a shot a while back at getting hold of the latest dbx company to see if I could track down some ICs and schematics for a 3BX. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about ...

Off-topic, but PM me if you still require the 3BX schematics or service manual, as I have both.

Interesting find, Greg. First I've heard of it. Thanks also for the kind words.
Dave

Back
Top Bottom