Anybody still using an equalizer?

I like the auto EQ's with the pink noise generators & mics. My room's acoustics are crazy & the EQ's help get it flat - although looking at where the bands are set can be disconcerting.

Another classic debate lives on...

To respond to the OP's question:
It is possible to put a system together that makes music sound consistently fantastic without any tone controls involved.

I don't care if anyone uses an EQ. If an EQ improves your listening enjoyment, you'd be a fool not to have one.

My personal experience was that as I upgraded equipment, I no longer needed one. Eventually i upgraded myself away from tone controls all together. And in the 8 years I've lived without them, I've never once thought "jeesh, i wish I had tone controls for this recording".

I recently cleaned up and lived for a few days with an old Sony receiver. (link with photos here:http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231819 )
and it was interesting to see that i reached for the tone controls with every new recording. The unit sounded pretty good for a 30 year-old rig, but it seemed to require a lot of tone-tweaking to improve the color of its shortcomings.

I have a Denon in the cabinet to compliment my system, but I don't use it anymore. It seems like I had to stand next to the system and adjust it to every song when I had it in the loop. It's pretty to look at though. It's also amusing to watch my wife try to figure out how to use it. :D

Many people think that equalizers are a thing of the past but they are a vital element for balanced and clear sound. An equalizer must be adjusted with an analyzer. Adjusting each frequency accurately and with pink noise. The 1/3 octave equalizers are the most indicated. They also help to make the elements of the speakers last longer since all the frequencies will have the same volume at the same time. It is not a fashionable affair. It is vital as is the acoustics of the room. I use white instruments.

Many people think that equalizers are a thing of the past but they are a vital element for balanced and clear sound. An equalizer must be adjusted with an analyzer. Adjusting each frequency accurately with pink noise. The 1/3 octave equalizers are the most indicated. They also help to make the elements of the speakers last longer since all the frequencies will have the same volume at the same time. It is not a fashionable affair. It is vital as is the acoustics of the room.

I use equalization in the bass range below 100 Hz or so to mitigate the room nodes. Cut only, no boost needed. I tried a parametric but the 1/3 octave provides better control.

I used to use an eq when a 45wpc Onkyo A5 was my power source. I took it out of the main system when I made the jump over 150 watts. Now that I've doubled that I pretty much run everything flat.

Yes I use one, it is the BSR name on a ADC Sound Shaper. It is my tone control to my mini watt amplifier. My Sony is in the picture but currently it's Denon to eq to mini watt to slightly modified Zenith Allegro 3000 speakers that's it.
DSCI0128.JPG

I have just purchased the technics 33 band model 3065 equalizer from ebay. I thin it is the best sounding equalizer I have
had yet. I have not had time to set it up with the frequency generator and decibel meter yet, but I think it will do great.

Back
Top Bottom