Anyone buy/listen to the Who, Live at the Filmore East?

jcamero

Who are you people anyway?
I thought it has been released, but not 100% sure. I guess the "Gold Standard" for comparison is "Live at Leeds", how does it stand up to LAL? Vinyl or CD?

Yes yes, gotta know!! I've got the (Audio) Live at Leeds, and Isle of Wight [1970]

I have not heard Filmore East, but this is what I found on the web.

They're sure promoting the heck out of it
... the show is from April 4, 1968!

[apparently released April 20, 2018]
https://www.amazon.com/Live-At-Fillmore-East-CD/dp/B079NBWT35/

https://www.thewho.com/live-fillmore-east-1968/

CD Tracklist -
1. Summertime Blues
2. Fortune Teller
3. Tattoo
4. Little Billy
5. I Can't Explain
6. Happy Jack
7. Relax
8. I'm A Boy
9. A Quick One
10. My Way
11. C'mon Everybody
12. Shakin' All Over
13. Boris The Spider

Disc: 2
1. My Generation (30 minutes of fury)

I thought it has been released, but not 100% sure. I guess the "Gold Standard" for comparison is "Live at Leeds", how does it stand up to LAL? Vinyl or CD?

The 4 April 1968 show @ the Fillmore East has been available, albeit in an incomplete state, as a ROIO for many years. What's missing: the final number, "My Generation", cuts (fades) out after only ~ 10 minutes, rather than the (supposedly) ~30-minute version performed that day; the first few minutes of "A Quick One ,While He's Away"; and the number "C'mon Everybody" is missing altogether.

As for the sound quality of the ROIO, it is a superbly clear & balanced stereo mix. Very nice sound, maybe as good or even a little bit better (in terms of room ambience) than Leeds.

Seems to me the new (official?) release available @ Amazon would be worthwhile if only for picking up the additional 20 mintes of "My Generation" and all of "C'mon Everybody".

I wanna make sure a couple more folks see this response: @hjames & @KeninDC

Last edited:

Note: this Fillmore '68 show includes the fantastic number "Little Billy", a great rarity among available recordings of live shows performed by The Who.

A few of us here have been on a bit of a Who bender lately, and are looking forward to hearing this one.

Sure, Leeds is the gold standard for live Who, but there are so many other worthy listens.
The Hull show right after being one of them.
They are comps, but View From A Backstage and Greatest Hits Live are great. Disc 1 of GHL is classic era, disc 2 post-Moon, and not as good IMO.

I also recently watched the Live Texas '75 DVD, and it's worthy, too.

A few of us here have been on a bit of a Who bender lately, and are looking forward to hearing this one.

Sure, Leeds is the gold standard for live Who, but there are so many other worthy listens.
The Hull show right after being one of them.
They are comps, but View From A Backstage and Greatest Hits Live are great. Disc 1 of GHL is classic era, disc 2 post-Moon, and not as good IMO.

I also recently watched the Live Texas '75 DVD, and it's worthy, too.

Nice rundown of the state of "live" Who, Kris.

PS: IMO the Hull performance is superior to Leeds and the sound quality just as good.

Nice rundown of the state of "live" Who, Kris.

PS: IMO the Hull performance is superior to Leeds and the sound quality just as good.
I don't think I knew up until yesterday that the first few tracks(5, I think?) of Hull used the bass tracks from Leeds, because there was a recording issue at the start.

Also, Moon's drums are 'uge on Hull. Say no more.

Well, all told, I hope you're by now pre-ordered (if that's even necessary) a copy of The Who @ The Fillmore East, 4-5-1968.

You're gonna love it.

The Eagle label reissue of The Who's full performance @ The Isle Of Wight Festival (1970) is also a fine-sounding artifact. Makes me wonder if Pete "found" a cache of very clean tapes those folks could use in the making of the reissue.

No "Substitute"? :(

Ah, but you do get "I'm A Boy", a a damned-fine rendition @ that.

And, as I wrote above, the walloping number "Little Billy" which you will never hear a better rendition anywhere, anytime...hm, that reminds me of another old-timey number of The Who.

re: Isle Of Wight (Eagle Records), it culminates in of the best-ver (that I've heard) "Magic Bus" finales, just a crushing power-chord led jam of ~ 6 minutes. It's damned good so if you're not a fan of the "Magic Bus" studio version this rendition may likely persuade you otherwise.

Last edited:
@jcamero , @KeninDC , @hjames , @KrisM , @noogies

Extensive discussion @ Steve Hoffman Forums re: this release, and while the opinion, as they often do, vary quite a lot, the overall mood is that this release is official and sounds even better than the acetate boot we've been listening to for years. Sounds like a "go" to me.

SHF LINK: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-who-fillmore-east-1968.730913/

PS: I am disappointed one cannot purchase a direct download of this material, in lossless format, from the official The Who website. Only available media are LP and CeeDee.

Last edited:
re: Isle Of Wight (Eagle Records), it culminates in of the best-ver (that I've heard) "Magic Bus" finales, just a crushing power-chord led jam of ~ 8 minutes. It's damned good so if you're not a fan of the "Magic Bus" studio version this rendition may likely persuade you otherwise.
Looks like I need to up my game here! My Isle of Wight discs only have a 4:35 ver of magic bus - (looks like I ripped it to the computer in 2012!)

Looks like I need to up my game here! My Isle of Wight discs only have a 4:35 ver of magic bus - (looks like I ripped it to the computer in 2012!)

S.t.'s amiss w/ that copy, Heather: the "Magic Bus" finale should run close to 8 minutes, including a wicked-good jam & about the mid-way point of the thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom