Anyone compared Schiit Valhalla 2 against Darkvoice 336SE with Sennheiser 580?

heyraz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been using my son's Valhalla 2 until he took it back. The Darkvoice 336SE looks interesting.
Any opinions?

Well, I guess I have to answer my own question.
The Darkvoice 336SE just arrived. Using the stock tubes (which I plan on replacing) the sound is pretty good. I think I enjoy it more than the Valhalla 2 (with Bugle Boy 6dj8's).
High end is airy, mid is right there and bass is full and tight. This should only get better as the unit breaks in.
Only gripes are a slight bit of hum (inaudible during music) and the stock tubes are very microphonic.
Nice sounding unit for my 580's.

Glad you like the 336. I had a Dark Voice a couple of years ago - don't remember the model. It worked fine as far as driving my HD580's, 600's and 650's. It just seemed to lack the dynamics I was looking for. But, for the price, it's hard to ignore. I finally found my ideal "cheap" amp with the APPJ 1502. It has its pluses and minuses, but it doesn't lack where it counts - for me. I've learned it's all about what sounds good to each individual - especially with headphones and headphone amps. When you find something that hits the spot, hang onto it.

Cheers

I just swapped the stock 6N8P out and put in a GL-5692 (Red Base RCA/GE) and that made a difference. The stock 6N8P rattles, no wonder it was so microphonic.
Now I'm waiting for a few RCA 6AS7G's and 6080WA's for the rear tube position.
This amp is pleasantly surprising me.

Today I replaced the stock 6N5P (rear) tube with an RCA JAN CRC-6AS7G tube and the slight background sizzle and hum is gone.
Also less microphonic.

Listening to Paul McCartney's "Peace in the Neighborhood" and the bass is full and articulate.
A very nice headphone amp for $309.
It's a keeper!

Only gripe:
The stock tubes are worthless. If anyone is interested in this unit, be prepared to replace the stock tubes.

Good to know about the tubes. I have the Valhalla and do not expect I will replace it for a bit (only have had it for about a year now), but I have seen this amp and was interested for a bit.

Good to know about the tubes. I have the Valhalla and do not expect I will replace it for a bit (only have had it for about a year now), but I have seen this amp and was interested for a bit.
The nice thing about Amazon Prime is the Satisfaction Guarantee Return Policy.
I had a Valhalla 2 for a couple of years before my son took it back last week. I would have bought another but wanted to hear something else before committing. Amazon's Satisfaction Guarantee Policy made the Darkvoice 336SE a no-brainer for me as I have a dozen or so different 6SN7 tubes and their variants on hand to roll.
One thing I liked about the Darkvoice is that it uses 6SN7 and 6AG7G tubes and they are plentiful and cheap. Valhalla 2 uses two 6dj8's which are very prone to microphonics and can get very expensive.
Even with the stock tubes, I liked the Darkvoice a lot. It cost me less than $50 bucks to re-tube it so I could get a better idea of it's potential.
Both are great amps.

I just swapped the stock 6N8P out and put in a GL-5692 (Red Base RCA/GE) and that made a difference. The stock 6N8P rattles, no wonder it was so microphonic.
Now I'm waiting for a few RCA 6AS7G's and 6080WA's for the rear tube position.
This amp is pleasantly surprising me.

Check out Watford Valves for 6080s. They are in the UK, but shipping was only about $12. They had a bunch of NOS 6080s a few months ago at very reasonable prices.

Yes, I'd have to concur. The stock tubes are rubbish.

I'm running a Melz 6H8C hole plate + RCA branded Amperex 6AS7G black plate in mine. Just spectacular. Complete lack of coloration though with the glorious holographic sound that only tubes and the very best SS gear seems to be able to provide.

Back
Top Bottom